Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mediterranean migrants- specific questions

Options
1444546474850»

Comments

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

So: no, you can't find any example of anyone, anywhere, ever proposing what you claim to be rejecting. That's pretty much a textbook example of a strawman fallacy.

Here's a cruder example:
    recedite wrote: »
    Whats your plan? Estimate how many we can take in before our creaking social welfare system collapses completely, and before the number of Irish homeless becomes intolerable.
    Then take that number of tickets, and distribute them to 2.7 billion via a lottery.

Ask me what my plan is, tell me what my plan is, then explain why the alternative to an answer I didn't give is the right one.

I'm not proposing a plan. I'm taking exception to the characterisation of the Aquarius mission as "human trafficking".

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭RandomName2

oscarBravo wrote: »
    So: no, you can't find any example of anyone, anywhere, ever proposing what you claim to be rejecting. That's pretty much a textbook example of a strawman fallacy.

Ah the strawman of proposing a strawman. I've seen this from you before.

But you can improve
    If only those untermenschen realised that they don't deserve not to live in shíthole countries. Who do they think they are, white people?

Well that's a pretty low base from which to begin, admittedly. The arch nature, the sarcasm, the low-level Godwinning, and the race card, all in two sentences. This is impressive in some respects, but the actual position that you're adopting is made slick by all the rhetorical artifice.

One can assume that your position is the reverse of the one you've just stated, so you think that people from undeveloped countries deserve to better their lives by being free to travel to travel to first world countries. When you're asked for details about this you slip, and slide.

I'm not proposing a plan. I'm taking exception to the characterisation of the Aquarius mission as "human trafficking".

This is literally the first time you have ever mentioned the Aquarius mission.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Ah the strawman of proposing a strawman. I've seen this from you before.
    I'm pretty sure I've seen the "I know you are but what am I?" tactic from you before, too.
    This is literally the first time you have ever mentioned the Aquarius mission.
    That's nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭RandomName2

I'm pretty sure I've seen the "I know you are but what am I?" tactic from you before, too.

Don't blame others for the poor quality of your posts. Arrogance, aggressiveness, and snide are perhaps not admirable traits, but the central issue is whether there is a central point being made, and whether it is coherent. You used to be strong on the last two aspects.
    That's nice.

https://www.boards.ie/search/submit/?query=aquarius&thread=2057483909

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,268 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Mod Note

Right, this thread has gone way off the original topic. We've got three immigration-related threads open on the front page and there's a lot of crossover in terms of general discussion on immigration, so I'm going to close this one up because I think it's run its course.

Thanks

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement