Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why are Australian barstaff such powertripping c*nts?

Options
  • 27-08-2015 4:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭

Every time you order a beer they act like they are doing you a HUGE favour wtf?, and then they are just *itching* to throw you out, at their whim. And don't get me started on the bouncers, lol.

Comments

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 5,374 Mod ✭✭✭✭aido79

s20101938 wrote: »
    Every time you order a beer they act like they are doing you a HUGE favour wtf?, and then they are just *itching* to throw you out, at their whim. And don't get me started on the bouncers, lol.

I have never had a problem with Australian barstaff but the mentality when it comes to dealing with drunk people is different to that in Ireland. The main reason for that is because of the fines that can be imposed on bar staff for serving a drunk or on bouncers for allowing a drunk person to be on the premises. These are personal fines on the people not on the pub itself.
    If a person was to walk out of a bar and get hit by a car the bar staff who served him could be held responsible for this. This is why their attitude might be a bit different to the bar staff you are used to in Ireland. I'm guessing you're not in Australia that long?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭Sundy

What bar and where?

Personally I've never really had any issues other than occasional very slow service

• Registered Users Posts: 884 ✭✭✭witnessrenegade

Only thing I found annoying was being turned away from bars when we were all guys, if more than two of us walked up to most bars we were turned away because we didn't have any women with us, usually happened on Chapel Street or in St Kilda

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭woolymammoth

maybe you're just going to the wrong sort of pubs, or reading into something that just doesn't exist.

bouncers can be a bit snotty at times, but i've never experienced any bar staff make me feel or act like they were doing me a favour just by serving me. That'd just be plain un-australian imho!

now, dublin bar staff on the other hand.... :pac: jokes! they were pretty good most times :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭Mackman

I have never come across this, the worst I have to say about Aussie bar staff is they can be slow, and have trouble multi-tasking.

I have found that there is a bigger focus on being friendly to customers here than back home. I.e. in a petrol station, I'm always greeted with a smile and a "hello, how are you?", rather than a grunt and "any petrol or diesel"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

My experience of Oz retailing is pleasant and polite, a little slow sometimes.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

No problems in Brissy. I imagine it's like anywhere else in the world. Approach them with an attitude and you'll probably get one back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

Went to meet my wife and her work colleagues in some pretentious attempt for a snazy bar in downtown Perth, I was late from work so when I got there the girls were well drunk. I headed to the bar to order a round but the guy says he won't serve me my beer until I drink water first as I might have had too much, yet he has no problem serving me the drinks for the girls who at this stage with their hooting and hollering are the main life in the bar!

So rather have another WTF moment of which there were many in Perth (seeing a lady walking her bicycle being stopped and fined for not having a bell on it!!!!!) I just calmly say "why thank you, I better do that shouldn't I" in my best wasted sarcasm way.

The other thing that would make little baby Jesus cry was sitting in a bar in Fremantle and seeing a bouncer tap a chap on the shoulder for standing up to get something out of his pocket while holding his beer in his other hand; no standing while holding beer!! Even when bringing you beer from the bar pausing for a moment on route would trigger the bouncers!!!

Serious control freaks in Perth.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭lg123

catbear wrote: »
    ah, the poor things, leave them alone. they don't have much happening between the ears so its kinda nice they have their moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 rhino1

no shots after midnight in Sydney .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭rightyabe

I know a lad in Perth who was stopped going into a Irish bar because the bouncer reckoned he was drunk...even thou he's a tee totaller... When he said he doesn't even drink the bouncer replied "well your no go to us if you don't drink, we'll make no money off you" and let all his drunk mates in but not him...needless to say they all just left then.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 NYC2013

A few years ago me and my friends were trying to get into a bar on George Street in Sydney, one bouncer goes to the other "Are we leaving in Irish tonight?" "No not tonight mate"

I've never been thrown out of a bar in Ireland or haven't been thrown out of any bars since I moved to New York but I reckon I must have got f*cked out of about 20 of them in two years in Australia lol

• Registered Users Posts: 39,149 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

aido79 wrote: »
    The main reason for that is because of the fines that can be imposed on bar staff for serving a drunk or on bouncers for allowing a drunk person to be on the premises. These are personal fines on the people not on the pub itself.
    Those fines do exist, but I've never heard of an bar staff getting fined with one. Why would they either. When somebody is getting served, everyone is happy. It's when they get cut-off they there's a problem, and the bar staff is in the clear at that point. Or if they cause a fight, the staff can get them kick out or call the police, again they are in the clear.

They have to serve someone in front whose completely locked in plain sight of a cop to get a fine I'd say.
    If a person was to walk out of a bar and get hit by a car the bar staff who served him could be held responsible for this. This is why their attitude might be a bit different to the bar staff you are used to in Ireland.
    I don't think the staff can be held any more liable for consequences due to alcohol in Australia than in Ireland.

There was a case a few years ago where a pub gave a drunken patron back his keys, and he crashed and died on the way home. The court did find the pub/staff liable, as they'd a duty of care. But the high court overturned it saying that people saying that people are ultimately responsible for their actions. That was 2 or 3 years ago.

That said, there could be other circumstances involved where the pub could be liable too.

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭17larsson

catbear wrote: »

It's a nanny state. A guy I know got penalty points and a fine for indicating too early

• Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭lufties

17larsson wrote: »
    It's a nanny state. A guy I know got penalty points and a fine for indicating too early

I got a fine of 600 dollars in 2010 for not wearing a seatbelt in perth. Also in brisbane, I highlighted politely to a bar woman that she was serving everyone around me except me. She replied 'ok sir what the **** would you like', theres some awful knackers in that country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,012 ✭✭✭stop animal cruelty

Is it easy to find work in a bar over there? With experience

• Registered Users Posts: 4,406 ✭✭✭PirateShampoo

I lived in Darwin for a year, never really had a problem.

Funny observation though, you could be wasted at a bar and legally they have to offer you water, if you refused it then no more booze, but drink it and they would continue to serve you until you fall flat on ur arse.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭AngryHippie

lufties wrote: »
    I got a fine of 600 dollars in 2010 for not wearing a seatbelt

Proper order.

Dangerously stupid.

Its now double demerits for using a mobile phone too. 6 points on the nose.

Nationally, or in particular states?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭lg123

Proper order.

Dangerously stupid.

agree.

where is it double demerits?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭AngryHippie

It came in for QLD yesterday. Won't take long for rest of country.

Whoops, the radio left out some important information this morning....

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-09-01/double-demerit-points-for-drivers-using-mobile-phone/6739508

It's only for a second offense in a 12 month period.

Still, the number of clowns I have seen driving around sending messages....

WTF is Siri for.

It's hilarious what it transcribes some of my messages into.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Always had a good experience, mainly in the outback.
    Got refused entry once because there was a no tattoo policy.
    Covered up and got served, then the police raided the place.
    I just know how to pick 'em lol

biko wrote: »
    Got refused entry once because there was a no tattoo policy.
    Covered up and got served, then the police raided the place.

That's fairly ridiculous tbf.

What did the police raid it for?

Proper order.

Dangerously stupid.

bollocks. its revenue raising primarily. fooking nanny state, i foolishly got residency but never used it.

bollocks. its revenue raising primarily. fooking nanny state, i foolishly got residency but never used it.
    Are you saying that it's ok to not wear a seatbelt?
    or are you saying that the fine was excessive?
    or both?

Edit: Also, I thought the seatbelt fine was $300?
    Did you get fined for a passenger too?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

I don't recall if double demerits means double the fine?

So it's not like an increased amount of revenue is earned.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

From the same OP that brought you "Australian waitresses are ****wits" :D

Where is it that you happened upon these ***** OP?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

biko wrote: »
    From the same OP that brought you "Australian waitresses are ****wits" :D

Where is it that you happened upon these ***** OP?

He is a tad angry, is the old OP.
    ;)

Mellor wrote: »
    Are you saying that it's ok to not wear a seatbelt?
    or are you saying that the fine was excessive?
    or both?

Edit: Also, I thought the seatbelt fine was $300?
    Did you get fined for a passenger too?

its 600 in perth..i was travelling at about 30km an hour..thought it was excessive

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 5,374 Mod ✭✭✭✭aido79

its 600 in perth..i was travelling at about 30km an hour..thought it was excessive

Did you explain to the cop that you always drive at about 30km or that you normally wear your seatbelt and he caught you on the one day you weren't wearing it?
    Revenue raising is a term used by people who think the police are only doing it to make some money. How fast do you think the average Aussie in a v8 would drive if they knew there was no possibilty of getting caught? How many more people would be killed in car crashes if seat belts weren't compulsory? The fines might seem excessive but that's the only way to deter people from breaking the laws. I bet you didn't forget to put your seatbelt on again after that.

Advertisement