Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

lidl protein milk

Options
  • 26-08-2015 6:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭

has anyone tried it. Just saw it today and it was 99 cents for a litre. seems like very good value for easy protein. what do people think of it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭guile4582

why don't you look up the nutritional info yourself?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

I did the math before and it works out just a tiny bit more expensive per g of protein than whey, so a pretty good investment. I make my whey with milk though, so to get the equivalent I'd have to be drinking quite a bit more volume.

Or just use both for maximum protein.

guile4582 wrote: »
    why don't you look up the nutritional info yourself?

He didn't ask about the nutritional info, he asked had anyone tried it and what people thought of it.

What do you think of it guile?

I haven't seen it, but it's cheaper than the avonmore equivalent. I've tried so hard to like protein powder but I can't. This might be a good, and not too expensive, alternative for me :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

No difference in taste if that's what you're asking. Shame it doesn't come in a 2 litre size.

I've tried so hard to like protein powder but I can't.

Did you try chocolate flavour mixed with milk? I refuse to believe anyone that didn't like that.

• Advertisement

Zillah wrote: »
    Did you try chocolate flavour mixed with milk? I refuse to believe anyone that didn't like that.

Someone JUST posted the same thing in reply to a facebook status I had up :pac:

I haven't. Someone was putting in a myprotein order and I asked for them to get me some chocolate, and they got me choco peanut. I guess I'll have to try chocolate now!!

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Connavar

Comes down to the brand. I had some nasty 'chocolate' ones before

Connavar wrote: »
    Comes down to the brand. I had some nasty 'chocolate' ones before

MyProtein is gorgeous. Like, if I ordered a milkshake in a cafe and they brought me that stuff, I'd be telling people how good their milkshakes are.

I'd be wary of anything with "peanut" in the flavour; worst tasting whey I ever tasted claimed to be "peanut cookie". Blegh.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭strelok

MyProtein is gorgeous. Like, if I ordered a milkshake in a cafe and they brought me that stuff, I'd be telling people how good their milkshakes are.

I'd be wary of anything with "peanut" in the flavour; worst tasting whey I ever tasted claimed to be "peanut cookie". Blegh.

when i was on the ecigs too, any sort of peanut flavouring was just awful. it must be a very very hard flavour to get right

• Registered Users Posts: 17,510 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Someone JUST posted the same thing in reply to a facebook status I had up :pac:

I haven't. Someone was putting in a myprotein order and I asked for them to get me some chocolate, and they got me choco peanut. I guess I'll have to try chocolate now!!

Oh dear... I accidentally ordered Chocolate Nut instead of just Chocolate in my last order and it's not nice. Chocolate Peanut might be better though.

I think it's hard to beat vanilla whey, sweetened or unsweetened. Chocolate flavour can be hit and miss.

• Advertisement

No no, the Choco peanut is just as you imagined. Rotten stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭swingking

No no, the Choco peanut is just as you imagined. Rotten stuff.

I liked choc peanut in the ONGold edition but anything else I would agree with

• Registered Users Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭guile4582

MyP Choc protein powder, ice cold milk, spoon or many spoons of PB and a banana - blender with ice cubes

you don't like that, you better check yourself!

• Registered Users Posts: 20 sulberto

Could you make hot chocolate with choc whey powder and warm/hot milk?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,558 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

I haven't tasted the Lidl protein milk but they had were handing out the avonmore stuff after the DCT on Sunday and while it was ok, straight up milk tastes nicer.

Whey powder is more convenient for me to get the protein in and I don't drink that much milk anyway.

And milk doesn't mix as magnificently with Liberte

The trick is to mix up the powder with a bit of water first, and once it's properly dissolved, top it all the way up with milk.

• Registered Users Posts: 964 ✭✭✭Greyian

Had a litre of it today as part of my lunch. Tastes just like regular milk. It is semi-skimmed milk though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Reilly45

How many grams per 100ml? Pretty sure Supervalu is 6g

Reilly45 wrote: »
    How many grams per 100ml? Pretty sure Supervalu is 6g

Lidl is 5g per 100ml. Supervalu milk has 20% extra protein, but costs 60% more for the same amount of liquid, so 33% more per gram of protein.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭power pants

high sugar content

• Advertisement

high sugar content

Lactose is 45 on the GI. Not all sugars are equal.

high sugar content in lidl protein milk

Is it (considerably) higher than other milks? Do you have any links or sources to suggest that the sugar content in Lidl Protein Milk is an issue? As far as I am aware, the sugar content in Lidl Protein Milk is much the same as other milks.

Or is your issue with milk in general, not just Lidl Protein Milk?

my issue is with milk in general

I said the same about avondale milk when it came out, good source of protein and all the gym experts on here had to go against this and go nuts about the sugar content

similar to the above poster who counter argues my point about the high sugar with something about lactose

if you need protein, drink it, if you are bothered about too much sugar and treat every food with contempt then dont

people say one thing people say the other

just drink it or dont its only milk with some extra protein.

life can be simple

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

good source of protein and all the gym experts on here had to go against this and go nuts about the sugar content
    What exactly was said about the sugar content? avondale milk has no added sugar as I suspect lidl milk does not.

Any low fat milks will have typically higher sugar content as its effectively concentrated. So it can end up with more sugar than full sugar lilt or cidona. But its not like they are adding sugar into it, which some people might think you are suggesting.

yeah true, its similar at 4.8g per 100ml so if you drink 500mg thats 24g of sugar

just recall a thread where most were aghast at that

personally, it doesnt bother me, not much higher or lower than most protein shakes in the shops either

providing Im not gorging on cakes and lard pies everyday the odd pint of protein milk will not turn me rotund

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭cagefactor

low fat milks and high fat have the same sugar content according to the labels, very little difference. But they never say if the grams of sugar are all from lactose so who knows

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

cagefactor wrote: »
    But they never say if the grams of sugar are all from lactose so who knows
    They do, or at least should if there is anything added.

You will see ingredients lists on cartons. I think if is it 100% milk they might not have to declare it, but often they will. You will see protein commonly added to low fat or skim milk as it gives it a creamier taste. Proper skim milk with no added protein tastes very watery.

I have never seen regular milk with added sugar, only flavoured milkshake type ones.

You will see ascorbic acid listed on fruit juices. And cartons called "fruit drink" will have the juice and added sugar listed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 voodoopigeon

I'm always a bit weary about using items with added protein, try to keep my diet as natural as possible

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,558 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

I'm always a bit weary about using items with added protein, try to keep my diet as natural as possible

So is the difficulty you have with discount codes on MyProtein one of choosing between 'natural' and inexpensive supplements?

Advertisement