Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quail and hens

Options
  • 26-08-2015 10:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 24,368 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all. MIL bought some quail and wants me to let then out loose with the hens. I'm not too sure about this because of thier size. Anyone have the two breeds in the same house/ area before?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

Reggie. wrote: »
    Hi all. MIL bought some quail and wants me to let then out loose with the hens. I'm not too sure about this because of thier size. Anyone have the two breeds in the same house/ area before?

The quail will fly out of a fenced area if there is no net over the top anyhow . I used keep them in the same shed together but the quail would be kept in a cage /box on the wall and they wouldn't be on the ground together but I don't see it being a problem either

• Registered Users Posts: 24,368 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Bullocks wrote: »
    The quail will fly out of a fenced area if there is no net over the top anyhow . I used keep them in the same shed together but the quail would be kept in a cage /box on the wall and they wouldn't be on the ground together but I don't see it being a problem either

Looked it up on the Internet afterwards and apperently it's not a good thing as the chickens can pass on diseases to the quail

• Registered Users Posts: 3,960 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

Used to keep them on the floor of the aviary to eat the seed dropped by the canaries and finches.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭arse..biscuits

Keep them apart as disease can be a problem.
    Quail will fly away if not contained.

Advertisement