Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best winter wheel

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,257 Mod ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

• Registered Users Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭harringtonp

Any chance you could post the exact link to what you purchased ?

Any why debating now after making the decision, is there something about them now that you see them that you don't like ?

I need a rear wheel but as it is very difficult to find a split set I am contemplating buying

http://www.superstarcomponents.com/en/elite-24-ultra-11speed-wheelset-2024.htm

and trying to move on my almost new zonda front wheel.

Purchased these, weight a little more than advertised 1492 but this is due to the rim tape which is not include in their weights. See photos.

Spokes are thin along the lines of the Zonda.

Hubs run free but not as free as a Planet X 60mm wheel I have.

Will know more when use them.

Can anybody tell me what the small holes in the hub and the front wheel are for ?

Also with the front wheel I was wondering about a small gap below the hole and was wondering why it is not flush ? Surely grime will get in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭ashleey

Allows water out. In bad weather those sections fill with water via the spoke holes in the rims

• Registered Users Posts: 1,769 ✭✭✭Mefistofelino

Can anybody tell me what the small holes in the hub and the front wheel are for ?

Also with the front wheel I was wondering about a small gap below the hole and was wondering why it is not flush ? Surely grime will get in there.

I suspect those hubs are actually manufactured by Miche (they make OEM hubs for a variety of wheelmakers). The "hole" in the front wheel is actually a grub screw - probably 2 or 2.5mm hex - that is used to lock the end cap onto the axle and pre-load the bearing (in as much as you can pre-load cartridge bearings). To close up the cap, you undo the grub screw (don't lose it!) and, putting a hex key in either end of the axle, wind it up until the gap closes (but not too tight as the wheel will bind on the axle). Once that is done, you can tighten the grub screw again to "lock" it in place.

The Miche website has some poorly translated tech manuals covering their hubs. The illustrations should make it a bit clearer.

http://www.miche.it/en/service/istruzioni/mozzi-2

• Advertisement

ashleey wrote: »
    Allows water out. In bad weather those sections fill with water via the spoke holes in the rims

But the rims are nowhere near those holes. Presume it is allowing water out that enters in other places

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

32 hole Deore XT with DT Swiss spokes and mavic open pro rims is pretty much bomb and weather proof.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭OleRodrigo

32 hole Deore XT with DT Swiss spokes and mavic open pro rims is pretty much bomb and weather proof.

Not so sure about Open Pros on 11 speed drivetrains. Quite a few problems with spokes breaking and wheels going out of true. Purely anecdotal though.

But the rims are nowhere near those holes. Presume it is allowing water out that enters in other places

Sorry. Thought you meant in the rim section not in the hubs. Hopefully no water is getting into the hubs or they won't be good winter wheels at all!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,926 ✭✭✭letape

OleRodrigo wrote: »
    Not so sure about Open Pros on 11 speed drivetrains. Quite a few problems with spokes breaking and wheels going out of true. Purely anecdotal though.

I have open pros on campag record hubs with 11 speed cassette and they have never given any problems. I have a set with 28 spokes and another with 32. Both have been very reliable.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭OleRodrigo

letape wrote: »
    I have open pros on campag record hubs with 11 speed cassette and they have never given any problems. I have a set with 28 spokes and another with 32. Both have been very reliable.

I knew as soon as I posted that there would be somebody on to contradict me.:)

Some lads in the club and some boardsies having problems with rims that are usually very reliable. Rear wheel, drive side on 11 speed seems to be the common denominator.

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭Koobcam

I have a set of DT swiss M 1900 Spline wheels on my cyclocross bike, which I use as a winter bike & commuter by just sticking on road tyres. The wheels are really heavy but very solid and able to take a good beating. I've had the cx bike (and the wheels) on the go for the best part of 2 years with only a small bit of hub servicing required. I only discovered recently that they're also tubeless compatible (which explains why it's so hard to fit road tyres on them). Not sure though if they have a rim brake option. In general though, I think DT swiss make good solid budget wheels which would be ideal for winter riding. The DB23 or 24 would be good options which definitely come in rim brake options and have relatively wide rims, meaning wide tyres will work well, so you could fit a set of 28mm GO 4 seasons or similar and have a perfect winter set up.

Koobcam wrote: »
    I have a set of DT swiss M 1900 Spline wheels on my cyclocross bike, which I use as a winter bike & commuter by just sticking on road tyres. The wheels are really heavy but very solid and able to take a good beating. I've had the cx bike (and the wheels) on the go for the best part of 2 years with only a small bit of hub servicing required. I only discovered recently that they're also tubeless compatible (which explains why it's so hard to fit road tyres on them). Not sure though if they have a rim brake option. In general though, I think DT swiss make good solid budget wheels which would be ideal for winter riding. The DB23 or 24 would be good options which definitely come in rim brake options and have relatively wide rims, meaning wide tyres will work well, so you could fit a set of 28mm GO 4 seasons or similar and have a perfect winter set up.

I would agree on DT Swiss r1900, although I snapped a spoke on a back wheel and with tension messed up it was never right and snapped spokes again. I have the Spline R23 on a Canyon now and got a flat this afternoon. Getting the tyre off the rim (Grand Prix 4000s 2 clincher) was the toughest I've ever had to attempt. Broke a lever.

The hubs run better than Mavic Ksyrium elite and fulcrum racing Quattro though.

I suspect those hubs are actually manufactured by Miche (they make OEM hubs for a variety of wheelmakers). The "hole" in the front wheel is actually a grub screw - probably 2 or 2.5mm hex - that is used to lock the end cap onto the axle and pre-load the bearing (in as much as you can pre-load cartridge bearings). To close up the cap, you undo the grub screw (don't lose it!) and, putting a hex key in either end of the axle, wind it up until the gap closes (but not too tight as the wheel will bind on the axle). Once that is done, you can tighten the grub screw again to "lock" it in place.

The Miche website has some poorly translated tech manuals covering their hubs. The illustrations should make it a bit clearer.

http://www.miche.it/en/service/istruzioni/mozzi-2

Hi,

Need to do some maintenance on the front wheel which sounds quite rough but cannot figure out how to take the hub apart. The link above doesn't work anymore. The ends of the axle are round and don't take a hex key. Any ideas how to dismantle ? I can remove the grub screws but nothing falls out as a result.

Advertisement