Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Croke Park,Haddington Road,Lansdowne Rd Hours

Options
  • 25-08-2015 5:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭

Croke Park,Haddington Road,Lansdowne Rd Hours? As a teacher ,what was your input? Or were you told that you hadn't any! Take what you get and do not upset anyone!

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,351 ✭✭✭katydid

ethical wrote: »
    Croke Park,Haddington Road,Lansdowne Rd Hours? As a teacher ,what was your input? Or were you told that you hadn't any! Take what you get and do not upset anyone!

I don't really understand what you're asking.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭deiseindublin

I presume OP is asking if there was any formal discussion among the staff about when the hours would be done, a few days in early August, blocks of time on half days, 1 hour most weeks etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

We decided at a staff meeting before the summer. Has to be done by consensus, doesn't it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

We get to vote on whether to do a full day before term begins but other than that no say. We agreed the first year at a staff meeting before summer but the principal wasn't happy with the result so we've never had a staff meeting since and we get no more input.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭GSOIRL

At the moment Post Primary teachers have no LRA hours and hopefully the members of both the TUI and the ASTI will vote against the LRA and end these ridiculous hours that were agreed to under Croke Park. They will end in June 2016 if LRA is rejected. Unfortunately 10,000+ members of the INTO decided to vote to continue these hours so they are stuck with them until 2018.

If you have a vote. Vote NO to the LRA

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭ethical

It is interesting to see all your responses.CP hours should be done with the consensus of all the teaching staff,is there not a circular saying same? Yet some school staff sit down like adults and iron out a work schedule where the majority of teachers and management agree to work in harmony whereas in other situations CP hours are used as a stick to beat the teaching staff with,to have a hold over staff by the principal!The emergency is well and truly over and we should be like the 'others' and oppose the chains that are holding us.The morale amongst the teaching profession is very ,very poor at present and its no wonder with the working conditions we are forced to work with.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,870 ✭✭✭doc_17

We agree on them at our staff meeting and we have plenty of good soldiers who wouldn't let it happen any other way!

Principals not discussing them with their staff is against the spirit of concencous that is supposed to surround those hours.

I don't know what I'll do with the vote. Need to research it as there are still some questions that I don't know the answer to such as are we still getting the 1500 for S&S. But given the Croke Park hours still being there I'll probably go against it. And adding on another 6 hours of S&S while at the same time removing payment was really callous so I won't forget that in a hurry.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭solerina

We had 6 Croke parks hours today....painful but glad they are out of the way. We have another 2 hours scheduled next Monday and debate arose over whether these should start immediately after school ends or 20 mins later. I assume as one min after the bell is technically your own time that the meeting should be scheduled to start immediately, ie at 3.50 not 4.00. Any one know for sure ????

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭Moody_mona

solerina wrote: »
    We had 6 Croke parks hours today....painful but glad they are out of the way. We have another 2 hours scheduled next Monday and debate arose over whether these should start immediately after school ends or 20 mins later. I assume as one min after the bell is technically your own time that the meeting should be scheduled to start immediately, ie at 3.50 not 4.00. Any one know for sure ????

Start immediately, for sure

http://www.asti.ie/croke-park-agreement-how-will-it-work/croke-park-questions-and-answers/

Immediately.

However that's ignored in my school and union has not managed to resolve the issue. We do an hour a week for 30 weeks starting 10 minutes after the bell. That amounts to 5 hours that could be ticked off this pointless detention if it was being done properly.

• Advertisement

Our teaching day ends at 4.30. Our meetings start at 4.30.

There's bad enough feeling about it. Management would by lynched if they tried to pull a stunt like that. As it is, everyone ups and leave at 5.30 on the dot, even if the principal is in mid sentence.

As you can imagine, the meetings are not very productive.

It is interesting to see all your responses.CP hours should be done with the consensus of all the teaching staff,is there not a circular saying same? Yet some school staff sit down like adults and iron out a work schedule where the majority of teachers and management agree to work in harmony whereas in other situations CP hours are used as a stick to beat the teaching staff with,to have a hold over staff by the principal!The emergency is well and truly over and we should be like the 'others' and oppose the chains that are holding us.The morale amongst the teaching profession is very ,very poor at present and its no wonder with the working conditions we are forced to work with.

I don't think there is any situation where a harmonious solution can be worked out. After all, it is Teacher's Detention, and the rules about it having to be outside school hours, being all-school, etc. are not conducive to harmony.

Some solutions may be less confrontational than others, but we must never stop opposing this unproductive and pointless detention.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,142 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Wouldn't you wonder what training in staff relations or basic human psychology the gobdaw that came up with the Croke Park hours had?
    One of the most counter-productive measures ever. A triumph for ineptitude.

spurious wrote: »
    Wouldn't you wonder what training in staff relations or basic human psychology the gobdaw that came up with the Croke Park hours had?
    One of the most counter-productive measures ever. A triumph for ineptitude.
    For me, the worst thing about it is that it is a slap in the face for the unpaid hours given by teachers willingly. The education system has lost a valuable resource; the goodwill and time of thousands of teachers.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,870 ✭✭✭doc_17

http://www.asti.ie/croke-park-agreement-how-will-it-work/croke-park-questions-and-answers/

Immediately.

However that's ignored in my school and union has not managed to resolve the issue. We do an hour a week for 30 weeks starting 10 minutes after the bell. That amounts to 5 hours that could be ticked off this pointless detention if it was being done properly.

I don't know what time you finish classes at but 1 hour after that your Croke Park are done. At the minute you guys are all
    allowing yourselves to be taken for a ride. Just get up and go! It really is black and white. Have the union not sent a letter to that effect to your principal?

doc_17 wrote: »
    I don't know what time you finish classes at but 1 hour after that your Croke Park are done. At the minute you guys are all
    allowing yourselves to be taken for a ride. Just get up and go! It really is black and white. Have the union not sent a letter to that effect to your principal?

Yes the union have spoken with the principal! I don't know why the permanent staff don't just walk out. A third of us are not on full hours though so not much we can do. I work in the most miserable school. Morale is so low. It used to be a happy place but everyone's very beaten down now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭solerina

Yes the union have spoken with the principal! I don't know why the permanent staff don't just walk out. A third of us are not on full hours though so not much we can do. I work in the most miserable school. Morale is so low. It used to be a happy place but everyone's very beaten down now.

Could ye hold a union meeting, all agree to leave after 60mins...even if management think that's 50 mins....safety in numbers. Why stay 70 mis of you don't have to ?
    Thanks for the link by the way !!

Could ye hold a union meeting, all agree to leave after 60mins...even if management think that's 50 mins....safety in numbers. Why stay 70 mis of you don't have to ?
    Thanks for the link by the way !!

If they're anything liek our union meetings, three people will show up.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 RobM569

I know the hours are compulsory however I'm a new teacher in the school and one of the agreed evenings doesnt suit me as I have tickets booked to a show. Is there anyway I can get excused that evening?

Also most of the hours have been arranged on the same evening as the NQT workshops, so do I have to miss my NQT workshops to go to these ridiculous extra hours?

Also if you are on a job share contract doesn't it mean you only have to do half of the 33 hours? So I can just skip evenings that don't suit?

Thanks!

RobM569 wrote: »
    I know the hours are compulsory however I'm a new teacher in the school and one of the agreed evenings doesnt suit me as I have tickets booked to a show. Is there anyway I can get excused that evening?

Also most of the hours have been arranged on the same evening as the NQT workshops, so do I have to miss my NQT workshops to go to these ridiculous extra hours?

Also if you are on a job share contract doesn't it mean you only have to do half of the 33 hours? So I can just skip evenings that don't suit?

Thanks!

I doubt if the tickets for a show would cut much ice, to be honest.

The NQT training is an interesting one, though. I'd talk to management about that.

Do you have full hours? If not, you don't have to do all the CP hours, so maybe something can be organised around that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,841 ✭✭✭acequion

Here here! Totally well said Ethical and I agree 100% I only came back on these threads tonight and yours is the only post to strike a chord. The conditions are indeed dreadful and how much more are we to take!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Tickets for a show won't really work as an excuse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Tickets for a show won't really work as an excuse.

But if the person is on half hours, who decides what CP hours they must do and what they don't need to do?

I'd say just tell them you can't make it due to family reasons or prior arrangements. I think if there's any mutterings of you having to do that particular one then ask what's the story with the 'half hours' position and how do you know which ones you should be attending? Put the ball in their court (in a respectful way)... at least then you can plan!

Our school are grand if you're not on full hours, you just make whatever ones you can as long as you make up the time. Also if prior arrangements have been made before the meetings are decided then a bit of slack is given.

Who really checks up on all this stuff anyway, sure the school has to sign off in good faith but it's not as if the dept. do inspections and nit-pick over who was and wasn't present and whether they 'had a note' to excuse themselves.

What are the sanctions for not doing the full hours?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭joebloggs32

Thanks!

Your requirements to do cp hours are on a pro rata basis ie 16.5 hours for a job sharer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭joebloggs32

Immediately.

If you do one hour per week how are parent teacher meetings and open night accounted for? Before cp hours there were still a a few parent teacher meetings during school time but now these are done after school. We get six hours for these extra two meetings after school and four hours for open night.

If you do one hour per week how are parent teacher meetings and open night accounted for? Before cp hours there were still a a few parent teacher meetings during school time but now these are done after school. We get six hours for these extra two meetings after school and four hours for open night.

Open night doesn't count but it's not compulsory and not everyone is involved. We don't do any extra PT meetings outside the required amount.

The other three hours are just tacked on to extend two evenings a year for guest speakers usually.

Open night doesn't count but it's not compulsory and not everyone is involved. We don't do any extra PT meetings outside the required amount.

The other three hours are just tacked on to extend two evenings a year for guest speakers usually.

Open night can count. We count our graduation night.

I'm surprised you hold an event that involves anyone giving of their free time at an open evening, given all the extra work you're forced to do for nothing. That's the kind of thing that undermines the little opposition we can make to to Teacher's Detention.

katydid wrote: »
    Open night can count. We count our graduation night.

I'm surprised you hold an event that involves anyone giving of their free time at an open evening, given all the extra work you're forced to do for nothing. That's the kind of thing that undermines the little opposition we can make to to Teacher's Detention.

I know it can count but it doesn't in my school. It's not difficult to get volunteers when one third of the staff are on part time hours. Few permanent teachers involved other than A post holders.

I know it can count but it doesn't in my school. It's not difficult to get volunteers when one third of the staff are on part time hours. Few permanent teachers involved other than A post holders.

It can if the staff and management decide that it counts.

I know what you mean about part time staff. Isn't it awful that management has such a hold over part time staff?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Thanks!

If you are only on half hours you only have to do half the Croke Park hours. Work it so the ones you want to miss are the ones that don't suit you.

Also inservice done outside of school hours (once it is certified) can count for up to 5 CP hours. Don't know if NQT training is counted under this, or if it is also pro-rata.

Personally, I would avoid mentioning the tickets to the show at all and just pick that as one of your non attendance evenings. It won't go down well, we all have places we'd rather be than wasting our lives away doing CP hours.

Once you find your feet in the school in the next week or two, get talking to some of the part time teachers and ask them what the general approach is to the pro rata hours in the school from the previous year.

Advertisement