Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Massage therapist and dry needling?

Options
  • 25-08-2015 10:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭

Could anybody recommend a really good massage therapist who incorporates dry needling into their work, in the Dublin area?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭DaveD

I went to a lad called Jooseph Dowman. He works out of Flyefit in Ranelagh. Sorted out my knee problems with physio and dry needling.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭MartyMcFly84

As far as I am aware there is no sound science behind dry needling.

Many experts put effectiveness down to the physio that is combined with it and a placebo effect. Much like acupuncture.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭quad_red

Have back issues that were seriously exacerbated last christmas leading to a very uncomfortable six months.

Got dry needling treatments in a physio centre in Dublin City centre a number of times. Now, I wouldn't be spiritual at all but I did find the treatment gave a strong pain relief effect. But the effects were limited to 2/3 days.

So don't know if that was the treatment or the practitioner.

If you send me a PM I can give you the details.

Quad

• Registered Users Posts: 24,553 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

IIRC Simon Coghlan from Mount Merrion Physiotherapy (?) is the physio that does dry needling that COH recommended some time back.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,030 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

As far as I am aware there is no sound science behind dry needling.

Many experts put effectiveness down to the physio that is combined with it and a placebo effect. Much like acupuncture.
    Really?
    I had assumed that dry needling was sound, based on a physically interacting with the muscle in question directly.
    But acupuncture being made up, as there's no such thing and chi lines or whatever they're supposed to plug into.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭MartyMcFly84

Really?
    I had assumed that dry needling was sound, based on a physically interacting with the muscle in question directly.
    But acupuncture being made up, as there's no such thing and chi lines or whatever they're supposed to plug into.

There is no difference between acupuncture and dry needling materials, and there are many technique cross overs. However dry needing focuses on trigger points as opposed to chi lines.

I am surprised so many otherwise sound people are jumping on board, without clinical proof that it works.

There have been no clear studies, and some studies show almost no difference at all against control placebos.

It is rarely used alone as a treatment and is often combined with massage and other physio work.

Interesting abstract here

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18395479

• Registered Users Posts: 39,030 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

There is no difference between acupuncture and dry needling materials, and there are many technique cross overs. However dry needing focuses on trigger points as opposed to chi lines.

I was aware that the needles were the same. And I had read very little about it, but my general assumption was that chi lines don't exist, acupuncture is based on almost nothing. But trigger points, muscle knots, myofascial release etc, is fairly well established. But granted, there's a leap of faith required to make the assumption that needles can release these the same way that direct pressure can.

Edit: Will read that study later

• Registered Users Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Doug Cartel

Mellor wrote: »
    But trigger points, muscle knots, myofascial release etc, is fairly well established.

They are established in that they are popular, but I don't think there is much science behind them.

Advertisement