Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

A guy in Cork lost €1,700 to a very sneaky car scam on Done Deal

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭duffman3833

bmstuff wrote: »
    Na did 2 cars ownership change recently, took 4 business days to get new ones. Both done with 2 months interval. Was quiet impressed.

your lucky, when i got my car, through a dealer didn't get book for nearly a month

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

The seller gave the girl a key but said before letting her drive it away, he needed to show his mother the money because "they were almost scammed last week by someone using forged notes".
    Ehh...... what?
    As for the payment. Bank draft.
    How easy are they to fake, and how long do they take to clear? And how long afterwards would you be told if it was bogus?

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭BeatBoxing Blowfish

Now I'm no mechanic or anything but did they not test drive the car?
    Golden rule, don't hand over the cash unless the keys work and you have the book (or the book is signed)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭bmstuff

the_syco wrote: »
    Ehh...... what?

How easy are they to fake, and how long do they take to clear? And how long afterwards would you be told if it was bogus?

Bank draft emitted by your bank at your bank directly is what i meant.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭bmstuff

your lucky, when i got my car, through a dealer didn't get book for nearly a month

Most likely dealers fault. Proper dealers actually do it electronically online. Even faster to process.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭Preset No.3

dbit wrote: »
    The illusion of seeming official in some regard ? Prolly a Dennis O Brien vest.

Is it possible to have a discussion about anything anymore without bringing Denis O'Brien into it?

Is it possible to have a discussion about anything anymore without bringing Denis O'Brien into it?

I usually sell cars at the local topaz, when people respond to my ads in the newstalk classified section

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

I don't understand the ending. They are outside a house, with a car they can't open, and they just leave? Who owned the car? Or was it just a random car that the scammer appears to be selling, quietly slipping out the side passage of an unsuspecting owners house with the cash?

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭daveville30

this is happening a lot same fellas doing it.type ashbourne car scam into google.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,289 ✭✭✭Supergurrier

Only accept/recieve large cash payment near an open bank. Spend two minutes having teller check notes then lodge.

Hand over keys sign logbook aaaand done.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,252 ✭✭✭Dia1988

This is an on going scam in Ashbourne

The Donedeal ads regularly appear with low priced cars but the car registration is always concealed.

It has been on Joe Duffy liveline on Radio 1 a month ago. Search for the podcasts online.

He claims he needs to first check the money as it had buyers give him fake money then he insists that he checks the money in his house and you go with him, only that he grabs the miney and disappears.

Then the people of the house claim they saw or know nothing

The Gardai won't do much as money was handed iver for a good, even though the car is probably a wreck fit for the scrapyard.

I don't understand why the Gardai can't just do a sting operation!
    Or atleast Revenue as this guy is definitely a scamming scumbag!

It's believed that they are a well known family for all the wrong reasons outside Ashbourne by the surname of Joyce

• Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭H3llR4iser

The illusion of seeming official in some regard ? Prolly a Dennis O Brien vest.

You are most likely correct, if this guy is a professional act he will know this little bit of social engineering. Visual cues that are normally associated with officiality, authority or profession subconsciously create a sense of safety in people, while also putting them into a more compliant mental state.

It's one of the points driven home in safety/prevention training, such as that for fire wardens. Walk in a room full of people wearing a pair of jeans and a shirt, say "everyone please, calmly make your way out using the fire exit!" and everyone will ignore you, keep chatting and so on. Put a vest on, do the same and you get everyone's undivided attention, and you could almost literally make them jump through fire (not a good idea, btw :D).
    Personally for this kind of transaction i always advise to meet across the Garda station.
    Never ever at your house. As for the payment. Bank draft. As for time, well, during daytime of course.

This is a big one; I often see "car selling advice" that recommends meeting potential buyers at home - do not do it.

Cars are by no means rocket science, yet they are relatively complex machinery and most people can't make heads or tails of them. They turn the key and go.

Things can - and do - go wrong, and people also do not understand that. Sell a car in perfect condition, new owner drives it daily on a really bad road at speed, and a month later a ball joint gives up; You don't want them banging on your door because, in their mind, you sold them a "faulty" car. I heard plenty of these horror stories, so public place is the way to go.

Just common sense really.
    And saying that again but transfer of ownership of a car should be done at garda station or revenue office really. Car could be stolen or else. Would avoid a lot of crimes being committed and would save Garda a lot of hassle and facebook posts.

Watch out what you wish for - in theory, it's a good idea. In practice, it can become even less efficient and/or slower than the post system - being restricted to conduct the transactions at specific, limiting times and so on.

Also, if things go pear shaped in the long run, there's the potential to make it another money pit - "pay XX Euro for change of ownership". In Italy, to give an extreme case, up until a few years ago you needed no less than a sworn Notary to sign the change of ownership. Price of the operation? No less than 500 Euro...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

why did he have a hivis vest on?

You do anything with a hi-vis on, nobody will question you.

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭lway

ironclaw wrote: »
    I don't understand the ending. They are outside a house, with a car they can't open, and they just leave? Who owned the car? Or was it just a random car that the scammer appears to be selling, quietly slipping out the side passage of an unsuspecting owners house with the cash?

From what I can make of it, the old lady in the house owned the car but wasn't selling it.

Scammer takes pic of random old lady's car in driveway and advertises it for sale, meets people outside old lady's house, hands them fake key and asks for cash and says he's going inside to check if it's counterfit, he then heads down side of house, presumably over the back fence and disappears with the cash.

Car keys don't work, buyers knock on door and old lady says she knows nothing about the car being sold.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,114 ✭✭✭✭blade1

ironclaw wrote: »

A different situation but a guy near me spotted his own trailer for sale on Donedeal.
    The picture on the ad was even of his own backyard.

He reckoned an attempt to steal it would have been made when someone rang up the thief looking to buy it.
    He obviously got the ad taken down.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭projectgtr

It has to be a random car in a car park. If the seller just locked the car and ran away with the cash, they would eventually return for their car so surely all you would have to do is wait?
    It was at the "sellers" house, a well known house
    why did he have a hivis vest on?
    Certain Irish minority groups have a penchant for wearing high vis vests ;)
    Del2005 wrote: »
    Cops won't do anything, they handed him the money. Opposite happened someone I know, gave keys for test drive and car disappeared, cops or insurance didn't care as the keys where handed over without coercion. Aren't are laws great, if you've got enough scumbag in you you can steal without breaking the any laws.
    Cops wont do anything for fear of the buyer getting harmed, most wont give evidence when they hear whats involved, the local police know exactly who these people are and where they live hell i can point it out to you myself and im not even living in the county :(
    this is happening a lot same fellas doing it.type ashbourne car scam into google.

It sure is, i really thought the Gardai would have done something about it at this stage, but local stations are ridiculously under manned and these guys know that.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

I usually sell cars at the local topaz, when people respond to my ads in the newstalk classified section

What network are you on? It's gotta be O2.

projectgtr wrote: »
    It was at the "sellers" house, a well known house

Certain Irish minority groups have a penchant for wearing high vis vests ;)

Cops wont do anything for fear of the buyer getting harmed, most wont give evidence when they hear whats involved, the local police know exactly who these people are and where they live hell i can point it out to you myself and im not even living in the county :(

It sure is, i really thought the Gardai would have done something about it at this stage, but local stations are ridiculously under manned and these guys know that.

Cops will certainly never do anything where there is a chance of them getting harmed. We must have the only police force that is scared of the criminals.
    I was driving from Limerick back to Ennis on the motorway one evening when I saw 2 figures dressed in black clothes on an overpass aiming some kind of device down the motorway at oncoming cars. The device had a red LED on it. Looked vaguely like a gun, but could have been anything.
    In front of me was a Garda car, so after the bridge I flashed them down, we stopped on the hard should and I walked up to the window to tell them what I've seen.
    Inside were 2 female Gardai, they were quite young. They looked terrified of me, nevermind suspicious persons on the bridge. If a violent criminal came after me, I would have to look after myself, because I wouldn't have a lot of faith in the Gardai's ability to protect me from them.

What network are you on? It's gotta be O2.

Of course, I find it gets great reception when reading the Irish Independent online

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Tea 1000

As a buyer though, everyone on here recommends that you meet the person at their house. I've bought cars before at people's house, gives added peace of mind that they're not a scam artist.
    I know with any ED BMW petrol, you absolutely must meet them at their house in the morning before they've started the car, otherwise you're asking for trouble.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭ShaunieVW

This is the chap we met last year at this same house, he had a clio. Apparently taxed, tested and new tyres, we arrived to a **** bucket bald tyres and no discs in the window. When we asked to see these discs he said he would need to see the cash first and let his mother check it out as they had been scammed before and it was her car. Immediately alarm bells went off and we got in the car and left.

the yard had a large electric sliding gate and I had a funny feeling going in so left my car across the gate so we didn't get trapped in. Looks like our instincts were right so!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭dbit

Well if its the same place then its steakout time with ip cam on battery and 4g device buried in bushes !!!! ****er has to come back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭dbit

H3llR4iser wrote: »
    You are most likely correct, if this guy is a professional act he will know this little bit of social engineering. Visual cues that are normally associated with officiality, authority or profession subconsciously create a sense of safety in people, while also putting them into a more compliant mental state.

It's one of the points driven home in safety/prevention training, such as that for fire wardens. Walk in a room full of people wearing a pair of jeans and a shirt, say "everyone please, calmly make your way out using the fire exit!" and everyone will ignore you, keep chatting and so on. Put a vest on, do the same and you get everyone's undivided attention, and you could almost literally make them jump through fire (not a good idea, btw :D).

This is a big one; I often see "car selling advice" that recommends meeting potential buyers at home - do not do it.

Cars are by no means rocket science, yet they are relatively complex machinery and most people can't make heads or tails of them. They turn the key and go.

Things can - and do - go wrong, and people also do not understand that. Sell a car in perfect condition, new owner drives it daily on a really bad road at speed, and a month later a ball joint gives up; You don't want them banging on your door because, in their mind, you sold them a "faulty" car. I heard plenty of these horror stories, so public place is the way to go.

Watch out what you wish for - in theory, it's a good idea. In practice, it can become even less efficient and/or slower than the post system - being restricted to conduct the transactions at specific, limiting times and so on.

Also, if things go pear shaped in the long run, there's the potential to make it another money pit - "pay XX Euro for change of ownership". In Italy, to give an extreme case, up until a few years ago you needed no less than a sworn Notary to sign the change of ownership. Price of the operation? No less than 500 Euro...

I too have read the Art of Deception :-) .. The social engineering bend is definitely in use here and i can see how people let down the guard in this situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭projectgtr

Tea 1000 wrote: »
    As a buyer though, everyone on here recommends that you meet the person at their house. I've bought cars before at people's house, gives added peace of mind that they're not a scam artist.
    I know with any ED BMW petrol, you absolutely must meet them at their house in the morning before they've started the car, otherwise you're asking for trouble.

This WAS at the sellers house, they do live there.
    Cops will certainly never do anything where there is a chance of them getting harmed. We must have the only police force that is scared of the criminals.
    I was driving from Limerick back to Ennis on the motorway one evening when I saw 2 figures dressed in black clothes on an overpass aiming some kind of device down the motorway at oncoming cars. The device had a red LED on it. Looked vaguely like a gun, but could have been anything.
    In front of me was a Garda car, so after the bridge I flashed them down, we stopped on the hard should and I walked up to the window to tell them what I've seen.
    Inside were 2 female Gardai, they were quite young. They looked terrified of me, nevermind suspicious persons on the bridge. If a violent criminal came after me, I would have to look after myself, because I wouldn't have a lot of faith in the Gardai's ability to protect me from them.
    Im not surprised by that at all, could only imagine what two new female gardai fresh out of templemore were going to do to two armed guys, they arent equipped to deal with that, on so many levels, surprised they didnt ask you for help :D
    ShaunieVW wrote: »
    This is the chap we met last year at this same house, he had a clio. Apparently taxed, tested and new tyres, we arrived to a **** bucket bald tyres and no discs in the window. When we asked to see these discs he said he would need to see the cash first and let his mother check it out as they had been scammed before and it was her car. Immediately alarm bells went off and we got in the car and left.

the yard had a large electric sliding gate and I had a funny feeling going in so left my car across the gate so we didn't get trapped in. Looks like our instincts were right so!
    Thats the house allright

Well if its the same place then its steakout time with ip cam on battery and 4g device buried in bushes !!!! ****er has to come back.
    theres cameras all over the entrance , if the guards havent done anything at this stage then they never will , this is going on years and the gardai know exactly who they are, best to simply avoid the area and inform people, my niece nearly bought from them last month, thankfully she ask if i could go look at it, as soon as i seen the house i just kept driving and went home, long journey wasted but thank f**k i was there.
    I too have read the Art of Deception :-) .. The social engineering bend is definitely in use here and i can see how people let down the guard in this situation.
    i can guarantee they have never read that book.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭daveville30

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

Scam? Handing over your money before fully inspecting a car not only makes it possible, but very easy.

Great, let's look at this article.
    Many of the cars are clocked and also have no National Car Test discs.

and
    The security source added: “Gardai know the identities of these people but can’t act as they are selling what is advertised.

Now let's look at this:

http://www.consumerhelp.ie/cars-rights-wrong
    It is illegal to sell a clocked car. If you believe you have been sold a clocked car or that the seller misrepresented the mileage you should report this as soon as possible to the Gardaí.

Who will do fcuk all about it, because you know, those bad guys are a bit iffy looking and Gards are very health and safety conscious. So they stay well away from potentially violent criminals, i.e. not getting paid enough for that sh*t.
    But nevertheless:
    If you think a car has been clocked, you should inform the Gardaí immediately by contacting your local Garda station, and contact us immediately if you have evidence that a car has been clocked. - See more at: http://www.consumerhelp.ie/cars-rights-wrong#sthash.5xhg2Vrk.dpuf

Ah so. The famous "civil matter", i.e. "go away, eating my sandwich" :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

Since 2014 it is illegal to alter the odometer without lawful reason but I'm not so sure it's actually illegal to sell a clocked car. If the seller is a business you have consumer rights which you can enforce in a civil suit but these rights don't apply to private deals and therefore ineffective against this type of scam even if you could identify the 'seller'. Much of the law surrounding consumer rights is civil law not criminal so not a Garda matter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,417 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

How in the name of Jesus are people that stupid to hand over money before even sitting in the car or even starting it? The mind boggles.

Advertisement