Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Finished floor or plaster walls, which first?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭BarneyMc

delfagio wrote: »
    One thing to not is that you must bring it up to full working temperature gradually by 1 degree or so and then reduce it down gradually by 1 degree or so so that it does a full heat cycle. This will allow the screed to have expanded and contracted so that if it has to crack slightly it can. This must be done before laying tiles otherwise the tiles could crack.

For laminate floors does it matter much if the screed is not fully dry?

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭e.r

BarneyMc wrote: »
    You'd have to ask the supplier, as you cannot put on a liquid DPM as the moisture cannot escape and breaks down the screed over time.
    I'm not sure if you can cover it with polythene so the moisture will not effect the laminate

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭delfagio

BarneyMc wrote:

Again you should wait until the moisture is gone out of the screed.

You don't want to trap moisture under the laminate flooring. Usually the underlay for laminate, especially with UFH, has a moisture barrier in the underlay.

So you really don't want to rush laying flooring and risk trapping moisture under the laminate flooring and underlay

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭BarneyMc

delfagio wrote: »
    Again you should wait until the moisture is gone out of the screed.

You don't want to trap moisture under the laminate flooring. Usually the underlay for laminate, especially with UFH, has a moisture barrier in the underlay.

So you really don't want to rush laying flooring and risk trapping moisture under the laminate flooring and underlay

What practically can be done around the house during this period? Maybe it's a time to tramp round the shops to choose tiles, laminates and just about everything else to go into the house?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭hexosan

Can skirting and door frames be hung or should the floors be dry first.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭delfagio

BarneyMc wrote:
    What practically can be done around the house during this period? Maybe it's a time to tramp round the shops to choose tiles, laminates and just about everything else to go into the house?

We done the ground works out side and drainage, kerbing and stoned up driveway while we where waiting. We also waited about 4 weeks and then started painting, I had our 2nd fix electric been done also.

Oh and lots of shopping around for tiles and laminate, toilets, etc.
    hexosan wrote:
    Can skirting and door frames be hung or should the floors be dry first.

I am not 100% on this one. I had mixed reviews from carpenter's and builders who said not to do any wood work as the moisture could cause warping of frames and skirting so we held off.

I'm getting door frames and skirting and architrave been fitted this Thursday and Friday coming yay

Advertisement