Advertisement
We've partnered up with Nixers.com to offer a space where you can talk directly to Peter from Nixers.com and get an exclusive Boards.ie discount code for a free job listing. If you are recruiting or know anyone else who is please check out the forum here.
If you have a new account but can't post, please email Niamh on [email protected] for help to verify your email address. Thanks :)

Graduate in Irish Translations

• 20-08-2015 10:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 20 ✭✭✭ LorcanMull

Anyone know or any jobs going, linked to translations or even just in Irish background. From Gaoth Dobhair, Co. Donegal. Graduated this year. Should I be looking more for internships or just try get my foot in the door of a big firm?

Anyone got any advice or know of any jobs be well appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭ Halpenny

I know PAS advertise for translators sometimes. I get their job alerts and last year they were looking for Irish-language translators. You register on their website www.publicjobs.ie and then sign up for job alerts. The translator job was under the category and subcategory: Graduate and Trainee / Junior Management - Other.

• Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭ tradhead

I hate to say it but I think internships or freelance voluntary/unpaid work is your only option, at least in the short-term.

After graduating with a degree in translation 3 years ago, this was the advice given to me by my lecturer :( It sucks but hopefully if you get in with a reputable company it won't be for long and then you can start working your way up!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭ Micilin Muc

Try and pass the Séala Creidiúnaithe d'Aistritheoirí exam. Keep an eye here for info, they only run it once a year: http://www.gaeilge.ie/an-ghaeilge/na-corais-chreidiunaithe/

Once you pass it you will be officially qualified to translate for Irish Government bodies, although some still employ the services of unqualified translators.

In terms of jobs, I was recently asked to apply for an Irish translation job in Kiev, but naturally turned it down :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭ Redderneck

I'm not sure of the qualifications required, but I do know the EU put out a call just this week for Linguistic Assistants. From the quick read through I gave it, it looked like entry-level roles, assisting qualified linguists/lawyer linguists in reviewing dox. It's an open competition Presumably.

Can't post a link, but if you google: Europa EPSO Linguistic Assistants I'd say it'll pop up.

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭ Halpenny

LorcanMull wrote: »
    Anyone know or any jobs going, linked to translations or even just in Irish background. From Gaoth Dobhair, Co. Donegal. Graduated this year. Should I be looking more for internships or just try get my foot in the door of a big firm?

Anyone got any advice or know of any jobs be well appreciated.

Foras na Gaeilge have a few positions going right now. They're putting together a panel to last until 2018. Closing dates approaching.

http://www.gaeilge.ie/foluntas-sealadach/

http://www.teanglann.ie/ga/_nuacht/paineal2015

• Advertisement
Advertisement