Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

You take our best and brightest and we'll take...

• 20-08-2015 9:23am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,001 ✭✭✭

your homeless.
    A scheme to relocate hundreds of homeless Dublin families to vacant homes around the country will be considered by Government in the autumn.
    Work on a “rural relocation scheme” for homeless families is at an early stage, a spokesman for the Department of the Environment said yesterday but added it was one of a range of measures to tackle the spiralling homelessness crisis that would be discussed by the Cabinet Sub-Committee on Social Exclusion in coming weeks.
    Discussions on how such a scheme would work are being led by the senior department officials, he said, and involved the City and County Managers Association, the HSE and Dublin City Council as the lead local authority coordinating homelessness services in the capital.

The current thinking is that the “choice-based lettings” system would be used to “advertise” vacant dwellings in rural areas to homeless families.
    “Choice-based lettings” is a scheme used by local authorities to advertise council houses that are difficult to let, to households on the housing waiting list.
    Interested households can then express an interest in a dwelling. It is seen as a way for households to “jump” the waiting list if they are willing to take a less desirable dwelling.
    The department spokesman said: “That is how the choice- based system works at the moment. This will be examined to see how it might operate in the context of homeless persons.”
    Commuter counties

With the number of families with children homeless in Dublin now at the highest in more than a decade – some 1,185 children from 556 families were counted as homeless in Dublin last month – the crisis will be top of both the Government’s and opposition’s agenda when the Dáil reconvenes next month.

Numbers are also escalating in the commuter counties, as well as in the main urban areas of Cork, Galway and Limerick.
    Speaking at an event in Dublin yesterday to mark the 30th anniversary of Focus Ireland, its founder, Sr Stanislaus Kennedy, said she had never seen as much homelessness in Ireland.
    “It’s out of control and it’s an emergency now. Every day we’re seeing new families becoming homeless, and the numbers are increasing,” she said.
    Detailed plans on how to help families affected by the housing crisis move from Dublin to rural Ireland, have been put to both the Department of the Environment and the Department of Agriculture by Rural Resettlement Ireland (RRI).
    In a submission to the Department of Agriculture earlier this year RRI said: “The housing crisis in Dublin is well-documented, as is the abundance of available houses in the west/midlands and some other rural areas.”

Seriously, do we need any more Dubs down the country? They have the place destroyed.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

That's a lovely attitude you have there. Is it any wonder your home county is a ****hole when its inhabitants seem to be xenophobes?

Maybe if they were more progressive and open minded their young people wouldn't flee at the first opportunity?

Ultimately I think this will flop because the vast majority of homeless families don't want somewhere that's a few hundred KM from their friends and families. Some will be happy to take them, but most won't.

And it's valid to a certain extent. If someone is struggling financially, then they're probably struggling emotionally and healthwise too. Lifting them up and dropping them out of reach of people who can provide them with practical assistance is unlikely to make things better.

That said, we need to be more flexible on the whole thing. Someone should be able to state a preference for a location and then they get housed within a 5km radius of that location. You can't refuse without very good reason (i.e. my ex wife lives next door).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

I hope you're joking??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

Sure, they're Dubs now. But their kids will grow up to be cabbage munching bogtrotters themselves. It's an investment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

Tell you what, lets keep all the dublin tax money in dublin and let each county fend for themselves with their own tax money too.
    Move from a 26 county state to 26 individual states.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,914 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

your homeless.

Seriously, do we need any more Dubs down the country? They have the place destroyed.

It will make more space for you to live when you come to Dublin cap in hand looking for a job.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Tangatagamadda Chaddabinga Bonga Bungo

Menas wrote: »
    Tell you what, lets keep all the dublin tax money in dublin and let each county fend for themselves with their own tax money too.

You can let the people who live along the Shannon keep their water so. :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,001 ✭✭✭recylingbin

Menas wrote: »

Grand. We'll keep our water and grub. See you on the other side.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

Do you have any evidence 'Dubs' destroyed the place, except your own prejudices and possibly stupid anecdotal evidence about them lads from Dublin that visited you were an awful nuisance?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,022 ✭✭✭jamesbere

Gets popcorn.

This should be interesting

Do you have any evidence 'Dubs' destroyed the place, except your own prejudices and possibly stupid anecdotal evidence about them lads from Dublin that visited you were an awful nuisance?

None. I made it up. Move along.
    Where's your contrary evidence?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭arayess

I don't get the OP . What is the problem?

Parts of rural ireland is crying out for people to live there, many parts of the country will die out in one or 2 generations as it's mostly old people left.
    This surely will be a shot in the arm for these communities whcih will help them develop and grow.

I vaguely recall something in the 1990s - it was on the late late show - and they moved families form dublin to rural areas. By all accounts it was a great success.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,673 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

A version of this has been going on for years its called the rural resettlement scheme and rural Ireland has not collapsed yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭stmol32

I hate to give you the bad news but they won't all be Dubs.
    Some of them will be foreigners!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,965 ✭✭✭6541

The Dubs ruin the character of local villages and towns. I remember in my village when we had the so called rural resettlement scheme our drug and crime problem went up by 1000 % after one chap moved down.
    It was so bad you would walk down the lane and bump into the chap and he would say things like "Hows it going their buddy, you wouldn't have a spare smoke" or "You wouldn't have some spare change for the meter"
    It was odd we don't have meters in our village.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

6541 wrote: »
    The Dubs ruin the character of local villages and towns. I remember in my village when we had the so called rural resettlement scheme our drug and crime problem went up by 1000 % after one chap moved down.
    It was so bad you would walk down the lane and bump into the chap and he would say things like "Hows it going their buddy, you wouldn't have a spare smoke" or "You wouldn't have some spare change for the meter"

Of course they do. Nice bit of anecdotal evidence there that means nothing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭PandaPoo

Spotted a gap in the market, sounds like a good business man to me!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

I don't see the problem. They'll assimilate and be eating Supermacs in no time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

Dublin bankrolls most of the rest of the country. You'll take them if you want that to continue.
    Grand. We'll keep our water and grub. See you on the other side.
    Grand so. Last time I checked Dublin gets neither for free, so seeing as you want to kill off your last revenue stream, let us know how you'll be able to afford to grow any grub in the future.

Still, you'll have plenty of cheap labour to help, given you won't be able to send second sons and daughters to Dublin to find a job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,185 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

This kind of thing works very well around the country. What usually ends up happening is that you get the worst, uncontrollable loo-lahs from the cities relocated out into the sticks, turning hitherto sleepy little cow-towns into something like a suburb of Jo'Burg. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,473 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

What about the shame of their kids picking up a rural accent?

• Advertisement

Of course they do. Nice bit of anecdotal evidence there that means nothing.

I asked Garda O'Prátaí my local Garda to elaborate on the crime and drug statistics. He stated once your man was locked up for the night crime and drugs offences fell by 1000% when he was out crime and drugs was up 1000 %. Fact!

Dublin bankrolls most of the rest of the country. You'll take them if you want that to continue.
    A myth.
    Grand so. Last time I checked Dublin gets neither for free, so seeing as you want to kill off your last revenue stream, let us know how you'll be able to afford to grow any grub in the future.
    We'll export it to your ancestors, across the water.
    Still, you'll have plenty of cheap labour to help, given you won't be able to send second sons and daughters to Dublin to find a job.
    yeah

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

kneemos wrote: »
    What about the shame of their kids picking up a rural accent?

On the other hand, there's nothing better than egging on your kids to do their best Dublin accent to the horror of your mullah in laws.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,719 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

A myth.

yeah

Is thai an anti-Dublin thing, an anti-homeless thing or just nimbyism?

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭testaccount123

A myth

Unfortunately not

• Registered Users Posts: 1,449 ✭✭✭Gerry T

A myth.

yeah

In 2012 80% of farmers income came from subsidies, that's effectively dole money. Now if the farmers are receiving it who's paying for it ?

Where does this deep hatred of the Dub's or resentment or what ever it is come from ? Dublin is full of people from every county in Ireland yet this sort of crap gets rolled out all the time ? I don't get it.

Gerry T wrote: »
    In 2012 80% of farmers income came from subsidies, that's effectively dole money. Now if the farmers are receiving it who's paying for it ?
    From Dublin? Ich don't think so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

A myth.
    Nope. Quite true and wouldn't take a genius to realize this given the relative population and industry densities.
    Even the water? Good luck.
    yeah
    Yeah.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 526 ✭✭✭downwesht

Ah Jaysus!Tisn't the Dubs we have to worry about down here in West Cork but the bloody English.They are invading the place......it's worse than the plantation....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭babaracus

Why are people assuming that homeless people in Dublin are from Dublin originally? The guy who sits outside my building cup in hand sounds like he only left Mayo yesterday but has been knocking around Dublin city for years. We are just giving them back so you culchies should welcome your brothers home with open arms.

babaracus wrote: »
    Why are people assuming that homeless people in Dublin are from Dublin originally? The guy who sits outside my building cup in hand sounds like he only left Mayo yesterday but has been knocking around Dublin city for years. We are just giving them back so you culchies should welcome your brothers home with open arms.

No he was originally from Dublin, moved to Mayo got deported back to Dublin for anti social activities hence the nice Accent - Up Mayo, Mayo for SAM 2015 !!!1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

So we're getting the unemployable unemployed scangers so that the working class people of Dublin don't have to put up with them any longer, yep.. seems perfectly fair and reasonable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,473 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

babaracus wrote: »

You broke him,you keep him.

From Dublin? Ich don't think so.

Again a Dublin thing for you, I never said Dublin. Just pointing out Farmers don't contribute they are a drain, without subsidies they go out of business. So you can keep your grub...only if you get the subsidies that is :).
    I appreciate food production has to be maintained, and farmers are being squeezed to death by the companies they sell to, often being forced to sell below cost (by the way these companies are typically not from Dublin, just saying).
    Still doesn't explain why so many outside Dublin, look down on Dublin people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭crockholm

"Gypsies,Tramps and Thieves"- And that's just Dublin 4.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭fleet_admiral

You keep your 'best and brightest' and we will keep our property tax. Fair swap op?

"Hows it going there buddy !" I honestly think that some of the Dub's are below IQ and are a sub species. Neither Irish or English a sort of half breed also known as growlers.

"Hows it going there buddy !" I honestly think that some of the Dub's are below IQ and are a sub species. Neither Irish or English a sort of half breed also known as growlers.

Insightful
    Now some evidence please, I'm sure you wouldn't make such a claim without proof ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Hey op, you should go and jump in your username !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭Bio Mech

Chip, meet shoulder.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭Bio Mech

I would say, given your horrible grammar and poor sentence construction, that you are "below IQ" yourself.

Insightful
    Now some evidence please, I'm sure you wouldn't make such a claim without proof ?

Surely if I was from the City of Dublin and had a good IQ I would have an underground system, link the LUAS, had a rail connection to the airport, kept methadone clinics away from the city centre, had a house building strategy, do not destroy you georgian period houses, came down heavy on crime. Surely this is all evidence of a lower IQ.

Again a Dublin thing for you, I never said Dublin. Just pointing out Farmers don't contribute they are a drain, without subsidies they go out of business. So you can keep your grub...only if you get the subsidies that is :).
    I appreciate food production has to be maintained, and farmers are being squeezed to death by the companies they sell to, often being forced to sell below cost (by the way these companies are typically not from Dublin, just saying).
    Still doesn't explain why so many outside Dublin, look down on Dublin people.

The thread is about Dublin exporting it's homeless to Ireland.
    Dublin!
    Where would you have me talk about in a thread about Dublin and it's homeless?
    vicwatson wrote:
    Hey op, you should go and jump in your username !!
    And you, my friend, should learn to read.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Wow OP, wait until the buses of asylum seekers pull up in your village. What will you do then? Run them out with your pitchfork.

We are all human, you've had the privilege of being born into a first world country. Show a little bit of empathy to those who have had to struggle just to live and help them out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,229 ✭✭✭893bet

In 2012 80% of farmers income came from subsidies, that's effectively dole money. Now if the farmers are receiving it who's paying for it .
    Where do you get your figures from? do expand please.

jester77 wrote: »
    Wow OP, wait until the buses of asylum seekers pull up in your village. What will you do then? Run them out with your pitchfork.

We are all human, you've had the privilege of being born into a first world country. Show a little bit of empathy to those who have had to struggle just to live and help them out.

Nothing wrong with asylum seekers, in comparison. At least they aren't out beating up old women and robbing them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

I honestly think that some of the Dub's are below IQ and are a sub species.

So what would your solution be? I bet it's be a final one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 303 ✭✭Greenduck

By the same token us Dubs could say the same. That all the people who come to Dublin for work from the country ruin it and should be sent home.

Except we wouldn't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭crockholm

How's about we keep it light-hearted? I can just imagine if the culchies got banished from Dublin,the dubs would have to fill in the work themselves that instead of big strong baysts of men from the west digging up the streets for the LUAS,you could have the triumvirate of "The Corinthian" "Wibbs" and "Anncoates" with their skinny little fingers and Sunday gardening clothes doing the work themselves.

The thread is about Dublin exporting it's homeless to Ireland.
    Dublin!
    Where would you have me talk about in a thread about Dublin and it's homeless?

Country people come to Dublin in their thousands looking for work, because there is no work for them where they live, or the type of work they want.

Young working Dub's can't afford to buy a house or there are no houses in Dublin and are left commuting from as far as Dundalk, Athlone, Kildare and Arklow daily. If there is no housing in Dublin then where else can homeless people go ? what's your suggestion.
    It sort of sounds like:
    Yes we need land fills/Incinerators but not on my door step.
    Yes we need halting sites but not on my door step.
    Yes we have homeless people but don't put them next door to me.

These people are Irish first and foremost, who do you think you are to call them second class.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement