Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help With Losing Weight/Gaining Some Muscle

Options
  • 20-08-2015 12:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 26

Hi,
    I'm 23, 6ft 2" and just shy of 14 stone. I wouldn't consider myself overweight I'm sure my height helps but I would like to lose about 2 stone and gain a bit of muscle.

I've never done any sort of weight training before and I don't do a huge amount of physical activity apart from a bit walking, cycling and I'm on my feet all day in my job.

Naturally I'm quite stocky, have very broad shoulders and a big chest so I don't know if this is an advantage or not for this? haha

Anyways, I have bought myself some dumb bells and I'm looking to start a routine with them at home to begin and I will probably join a gym when I can afford it properly :P

Can anyone recommend a program I can follow for a beginner just using dumb bells as it's all I've got for now.

I have looked up and found loads of different exercises I can do with them which is great but I have no idea how many of these to be doing at once, how many reps, how many sets and when in the day to be doing it or how many times a week etc if anyone can help out I'd appreciate it greatly.

I've also gotten myself some whey protein powder and plan on having shakes after my workouts. And just in general improving my diet any help there would be great too.

Thanks

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 39 PaulRyan17

You should purchase Bigger, Leaner, Stronger. It's a great book that will give you all the information you need plus it will give you a diet plan and a greater understanding of fitness/nutrition.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭MightyMandarin

No need to pay for any resources or buy any books; there's an abundance of solid info on the internet for free.

OP I would suggest you join a gym asap. Dumbells at home is not enough (as I presume they're not very heavy) and you'll need access to barbells and plates if you want to do the best exercises like squats and deadlifts.

If you can't join a gym, then I'd suggest you try a variety of bodyweight exercsises and also stuff with the dumbells, but joining a proper gym is ideal.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,366 ✭✭✭GiftofGab

No need to pay for any resources or buy any books; there's an abundance of solid info on the internet for free.

OP I would suggest you join a gym asap. Dumbells at home is not enough (as I presume they're not very heavy) and you'll need access to barbells and plates if you want to do the best exercises like squats and deadlifts.

If you can't join a gym, then I'd suggest you try a variety of bodyweight exercsises and also stuff with the dumbells, but joining a proper gym is ideal.

This.

Dumbbell’s are not heavy enough to challenge your body. Plus you cannot increase the weight like you can if you had access to a gym. The key is to try to constantly increase the weight and to always push your body.

I strongly suggest you join a gym. Unless you can afford to buy a full power rack with a full set of Olympic plates and bar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭colossus-x

There is PLENTY you can do with a set of dumbells at home.

There is a lot to learn in weigh-training and you can be getting started with that NOW before you ever join a gym, or in preparation for joining a gym later.

Obviously if the only equipment you have is one set of dumbbell then that's not optimal but you can learn a good few exercise using them AND more importantly you can concentrate using proper form which is critical in weight-training in the comfort of your own home and away from the gaze of the more experienced jocks in the gym. It will really hold to you when you do join a gym that you have the basics of lifting properly nailed down.

I would suggest doing a full body workout 3 X per week. A full body programs is where you workout out every muscle in your body once in one workout session. You then repeat that same routine 2 more times in a week. So that would look like one dumbell exercise for biceps , one dumbell for triceps, one for chest, and so on for every muscle group. Some exercises you can do without dumbbells ie pushups for chest. You should aim to do about 8 to 10 different exercises per session.

I'm not going to go into each exercise you can do here but i'll point to where you can find the info.

http://bfy.tw/1Pxc
    http://bfy.tw/1Py6

You can find more info on home workouts and nutritional info here:
    http://scoobysworkshop.com/

Advertisement