Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Irishman treats Indian migrant to day out at Ferrari World in Abu Dhabi.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

“I'm over here for a week with EMC carrying out MVT (Manufacturing Validation Testing) to set up a new distributor for a new product called Vspex Blue.

Now what is Vspex Blue and where can we get it ?

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

Posting on his Facebook page, Liam added pictures of the duo’s day together in Ferrari World - saying light-heartedly of Shakiha that he had “some craic with the hoore all day.”

Brilliant, fair play to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭Sir Osis of Liver.

AlekSmart wrote: »
    Sounds like a tampon for ladybits.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Mena

Love this story. Fair play to the man.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Buona Fortuna

Good job he took the trouble to put it on his arsebook page and tell the world what a geat guy he is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭SouthTippBass

Good job he took the trouble to put it on his arsebook page and tell the world what a geat guy he is.

Ah piss off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,628 ✭✭✭Señor Fancy Pants

It's better than what normally gets posted on FB though.

He did a nice thing for that guy, "likewhoring" post or not.

Not as bad as those guys who play guitars to the homeless, but certainly a touch of self promotion about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,068 ✭✭✭Specialun

Bet he get the roide for that

Not as bad as those guys who play guitars to the homeless, but certainly a touch of self promotion about it.

No they are actually genuine.

I've often thought, if ever I was unlucky enough to lose the roof over my head, what's the first thing I'd want? Some cnut with a guitar doesn't even come close.

I am curious though, given that they are both foriegners, why is he "Irishman" and the other guy is the "Indian Migrant"?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Did he do anything for the hundreds of thousands of Indian/Asian slave workers in that part of the world?

If he's in construction then his company could be employing sub contractors who pay their slave workers a pittance.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

Maybe he thought it was just humorous or light hearted or would cheer someone up? You're going to die someday.at least try to enjoy yourself.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25 DetroitSpinR

How did breaking.ie get wind of this story?

Did Liam go and do something out of the goodness of his heart and then call the press to announce it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,556 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

AlekSmart wrote: »

Vspex Blue is people!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Keplar240B

So someone gave someone 61 euro.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,374 ✭✭✭✭endacl

I don't think there's ever been a thread on here that I cared less about.

What about the thousands over the years that you didn't read or post on?

Yea, call me cynical, but it also bothers me that people do something nice just to get attention and "likes" from other people. It's like people don't do something for themselves and the other person, it has to be for the whole world.

To quote Scroobius Pip -
    So I won't put the nice things we do on YouTube
    Don't need the world the world to love me - I just need you to

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

Fcuk it, even it is a bit of self promotion, he didn't have to do it but he did it, so fair play.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭crockholm

Man does something nice for a fellow man without repercussions and people here worry about sincerity? Smmfh.

crockholm wrote: »
    Man does something nice for a fellow man without repercussions and people here worry about sincerity? Smmfh.

Smmfh?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭crockholm

Smmfh?
    Shaking my mutha-fukkin head.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,139 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

i was once bringing bags of rubbish out to the skip of our company and the bags feel and some of them ripped i was furouis i evetually brought them to where there were suppose to go but some girl who saw me struggle came into my job and gave me a packet of sweets and said i saw you struggle with the rubbish and i know how it feels. there are good people out there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭Cold War Kid

foggy_lad wrote: »
    Did he do anything for the hundreds of thousands of Indian slave workers in that part of the country?

If he's in construction then his company could be employing sub contractors who pay their slave workers a pittance.
    What have you done yourself for slaves?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭fatknacker

I think he would have rather enjoyed the park with someone than be in there alone and didn't want the driver waiting all day was probably his main motivation instead of getting likes on fb.
    Sharing his story was just another part to it.
    Jesus there are some amount of miserable knobs here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

Smmfh?

Shaking my motherfuccking head

?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭AngryHippie

How did breaking.ie get wind of this story?

all I saw was breakingwind.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Boring username

Ah piss off.

He's not wrong though, if the only reason you're helping someone out is so you can get 5 minutes of fame on facebook, then you need to have a good long look at yourself.

There are plenty of people who quietly help people out every day, thankfully most of them don't feel the need to turn it into a clickbait story on social media.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,680 ✭✭✭weisses

Did he do anything for the hundreds of thousands of Indian/Asian slave workers in that part of the world?

He is not in Construction

Unless EMC moved away from building storage array's

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭arayess

ah will you stop you moan bag.
    It's a decent story and if more people in the UAE treated the poorer folk there like this it would be a better place.

He did a really nice thing and while you slag off the facebook element you should consider that FB is for family and friends somebody else chose to share this to a wider audience.

I've 220 friends on fb - if I did something nice and posted about it I'd say 50people would read it and they'd be close family/friends rather broadcasting it worldwide.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭Dr Turk Turkelton

What have you done yourself for slaves?

Gave them employment?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

"There's no such thing as a selfless good deed" - Joey Tribbiani

• Closed Accounts Posts: 746 ✭✭✭Starokan

Nice gesture and fair play to the guy, i doubt he did it just to get likes on facebook so it seems a bit churlish to be slamming him for sharing the events of his day with his family and friends.

The whole story as reported in that link just seems a bit off though, its making the taxi driver out to be some sort of pauper. Could be completely wrong here but I would have thought any taxi driver in Abu Dhabi would be making a pretty decent living regardless of his or her nationality. I suspect the site are taking a fun story and making into a rich westerner helps poor foreigner without having a clue whether that is the case or not.

Just as an aside as someone who once went completely busto as in zero income / savings etc you do often come across family, friends & even strangers who are intent on doing nice things for you such as bringing you for big meals or nights out etc. As wonderful as these gestures are believe me the broke person in question would prefer the money you are going to spend on them all day every day as they can still stick to their budget and the cash allows them to perhaps one day drag themselves out of the **** storm they find themselves in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,001 ✭✭✭recylingbin

I thought Indians preferred Mustangs

arayess wrote: »
    ah will you stop you moan bag.

It's a decent story and if more people in the UAE treated the poorer folk there like this it would be a better place.

No one is aguing with that.

Maybe if a few people were less quick to jump for the insult, the internet would be a nicer place.
    He did a really nice thing and while you slag off the facebook element you should consider that FB is for family and friends somebody else chose to share this to a wider audience.
    And you know this because?
    I've 220 friends on fb - if I did something nice and posted about it I'd say 50people would read it and they'd be close family/friends rather broadcasting it worldwide.
    Funny how it got on Breakingnews.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭✭Dan_Solo

Phew. Thankfully he got in a plug for whatever it is he's hawking there. I'm sure he almost forgot and this isn't just a cheap cynical marketting stunt to be lapped up by the Like Like Like masses.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Do the reasons for doing something nice have to pass a committee to be acceptable now? Jesus wept. It doesn't f*cking matter. A guy got to do something he's always wanted to do, but never was able to. That's the story. That's what people should try for one second of their miserable lives, to focus on. Who cares about anything else in the story? It's irrelevant. Stop trying to find fault and try and think of some actually good happening in the world.

humanji wrote: »
    Do the reasons for doing something nice have to pass a committee to be acceptable now? Jesus wept. It doesn't f*cking matter. A guy got to do something he's always wanted to do, but never was able to. That's the story. That's what people should try for one second of their miserable lives, to focus on. Who cares about anything else in the story? It's irrelevant. Stop trying to find fault and try and think of some actually good happening in the world.

FFS - no one is disputing that it was a nice thing to do.

And motivation always fcuking matters.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭RedemptionZ

He's not wrong though, if the only reason you're helping someone out is so you can get 5 minutes of fame on facebook, then you need to have a good long look at yourself.

FFS will you come off it. I'd say that trip and act of goodwill will stick with the Indian fella for the rest of his life. Have you ever done something like that? I'll hold my hands up and say I haven't.

I know a lot of people who fish for likes on Facebook. They usually put up some terriblely recycled joke or have a video of them doing whatever stupid dance/ice bucket etc. craze is in fashion. This guy went out of his way to help a poor Indian man have a day out that unfortunately would never be possible normally then posted a few pictures on Facebook.

Yeah what a monster, he needs to have a long hard look at himself...

FFS - no one is disputing that it was a nice thing to do.

And motivation always fcuking matters.
    No it doesn't. It really, really doesn't. If breaking news paid him to do it, then it still doesn't matter for the taxi driver. And he's the one the story is about.

No it doesn't. It really, really doesn't. If breaking news paid him to do it, then it still doesn't matter for the taxi driver. And he's the one the story is about.

It really really really does - see what I did there ;)

• Advertisement

I find this attitude quite bizarre. "He did something nice, so nobody can criticize him, ok? Grrrr!"

As has already been pointed out, not everyone does something nice for the right reasons. For example, the robber baron John D. Rockefeller used to throw pennies to street children on the advice of his PR person. Is this allowed to be questioned, your highness?

Countless celebrities take the opportunity to avail of that 'charidee' photo op with the starving masses of Africa (and top up the sun tan while they're at it).

At the more extreme end of the spectrum, you have Jimmy Saville who did plenty of fundraising work, and God help anyone who questioned his motives back then.

Look, it's great that he did something nice, but you'd have to be awfully, awfully naive to think all these social media stories are the result of genuine kindness. Maybe in this case it was, but most of the time it's an ego boost, a PR stunt, someone trying to get their pathetic status as a D-list celebrity, or someone looking to cash in on youtube monetary ads.
    The truth sucks, but that's the way it is.

I find this attitude quite bizarre. "He did something nice, so nobody can criticize him, ok? Grrrr!"
    Nope, my attitude is that going out of your way to insinuate that there must be ulterior motives to a minor act is bizarre. It's so insanely irrelevant that it begs the question why do people need to do it?

Again, the story isn't that someone did something. It's that someone had something done for them. People seem unwilling to focus on that because they want to tear into someone on the off-chance that they didn't do it for 100% altruistic reasons.

It really really really does - see what I did there ;)
    Yeah, nothing except try and focus on the wrong part of the story, for some reason.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

What a fun story... for the first 6 posts then, bang, buzzkills everywhere!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

What did you do for those people?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,722 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

Sad to see the begrudgery.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭Aongus Von Bismarck

some craic with the hoore all day. I decided to bring him along for the laugh. He was great entertainment!I bought him some pizza on the way home. He was delighted with the day out

He sounds like he's talking about a 5 year old child. Bring him along for the laugh? It's another man, not a pet for entertainment.

FFS will you come off it. I'd say that trip and act of goodwill will stick with the Indian fella for the rest of his life. Have you ever done something like that? I'll hold my hands up and say I haven't.

I know a lot of people who fish for likes on Facebook. They usually put up some terriblely recycled joke or have a video of them doing whatever stupid dance/ice bucket etc. craze is in fashion. This guy went out of his way to help a poor Indian man have a day out that unfortunately would never be possible normally then posted a few pictures on Facebook.

Yeah what a monster, he needs to have a long hard look at himself...

As a matter of fact I have done plenty of decent things in my time, although more pragmatic. When my friends and I were travelling, we used to make a point of taking our host/guide/driver for a nice meal as a way of saying thank you. We didn't intrude on the occasion by taking pictures, posting on facebook, keeping a running commentary on twitter, or fishing for a mention on buzzfeed. The thought of someone doing that is quite disgusting to me actually.

In this case, I don't believe the guy in question was deliberately trying to cash in by posting what he thought was a harmless update on treating someone to a nice time. I wasn't referring to him specifically, but to fb posts in general.
    But there are an awful lot of people who do have an ulterior motive. I could tell you a story about two chancers I know who convinced everyone on fb to sponsor their charity trip to Africa. I found out afterwards they were living it up in a 5 star hotel for most of it, partying every night, and for half a day visited a slum with a cheap food package they picked up for ten euros locally. Guess which pictures were posted all over their facebook to make sure everyone saw that they were doing 'charity work' ™?

Nope, my attitude is that going out of your way to insinuate that there must be ulterior motives to a minor act is bizarre. It's so insanely irrelevant that it begs the question why do people need to do it?

Again, the story isn't that someone did something. It's that someone had something done for them. People seem unwilling to focus on that because they want to tear into someone on the off-chance that they didn't do it for 100% altruistic reasons.

Look, believe whatever you want to believe. Some people like living in a happy bubble, others deal in reality. Experience and observation has taught me a lot about human nature.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 353 ✭✭discodiva92

Why did he have to try be little the man by posting it

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭✭Dan_Solo

Omackeral wrote: »
    What a fun story... for the first 6 posts then, bang, buzzkills everywhere!
    Yeah, it was fun until you found out the actual facts of it.
    Cynical patronising piffle.

• Advertisement
Advertisement