Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Knocknacara Houses knocked for access?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,510 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

The road is a dead end, if you aren't one of the people who own land on the road then you have no business on the road

Ha! GERROFF MOY LAND!! Do you own the road too?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,734 ✭✭✭zarquon

If you aren't one of the people who own land on the road then you have no business on the road.

Says the man who openly admits to parking outside people's houses in private estates that by your admission you have no business being in, for GAA matches. You're happy to invade the privacy of others for your convenience while insisting that no one else should do the same.

I assume you take those little lanes and shortcuts too that you want closed while making your merry way to pearse?

zarquon wrote: »
    Says the man who openly admits to parking outside people's houses in private estates that by your admission you have no business being in, for GAA matches. You're happy to invade the privacy of others for your convenience while insisting that no one else should do the same.

I assume you take those little lanes and shortcuts too that you want closed while making your merry way to pearse?

But I have business being in the roads around Pearce stadium as I'm attending a match. Someone coming in our road who doesn't live on the road or have a reason like visiting someone etc had no business on the road and have the potential to be caging the area for a robbery. There are a number of farms including our own with lots of high value machinery and equipment so strangers are watched closely for very good reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,686 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

But I have business being in the roads around Pearce stadium as I'm attending a match.

No you don't.

You have business being in the stadium, and in the designated car-parks, and on foot on the main roads in between. You have no business being in non-designated car-parking areas.

No you don't.

You have business being in the stadium, and in the designated car-parks, and on foot on the main roads in between. You have no business being in non-designated car-parking areas.

Once I am legally parked then I am fully entitled to park in the areas surrounds the stadium.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,734 ✭✭✭zarquon

Once I am legally parked then I am fully entitled to park in the areas surrounds the stadium.

So for instance, if i business in a near by shop or park i can just pass through and park in any cul de sac that i wish that has a short cut to my destination.

I'm amazed you cannot see the contradictions and the hypocricy of your posts in this thread!
    Why on earth would you want people walking passed your house who have no business in the estate
    The road is a dead end, if you aren't one of the people who own land on the road then you have no business on the road.
    . Why should my house be devalued because either you won't walk the extra distance required to use the road
    :pac:

I would be massively against the opening up of an estate I was living in. One way in one way out makes for a much nicer, quieter place to live and cuts out people passing through the estate who have no business being there other than walking through it.

hypocrisy2.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

I notice that the aptly-named OP hasn't had a word to say on the subject since August 14.

The "April 1st" innuendo is also apt, but not as the OP intended.

And while I'm at it, here's another example of (certified) hypocrisy:
    This discussion is about opening areas which are secluded. I have no problem using any route which I find convenient to get places but it doesn't mean I would live in one of the areas I happily pass through. I would seek out a place to live that did not have people passing through regularly particularity if I was investing hundreds of thousands of euro buying a place. If I were living in a nice quiet cul de sac and there was talk of opening a through route for pedestrians I'd fight it tooth and nail.

Such as Highfield, for example, a cul-de-sac estate where GAA supporters like to park, usually on the footpath, before walking to Pearse Stadium: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056951980&page=14

Of course the cul-de-sac parkers are motorists, ie "the people that matter", so that's entirely different and AOK.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Once I am legally taxed and insured then I am fully entitled to use your road too, park up and have a good look at your curtain-twitching clan's houses, stroll up and down checking out your wonderful expensive machinery, lean on a gate and blow smoke up your a$$. But according to you I have no business there so I shouldn't be there. Hypocrisy much?

Zzippy wrote: »
    Once I am legally taxed and insured then I am fully entitled to use your road too, park up and have a good look at your curtain-twitching clan's houses, stroll up and down checking out your wonderful expensive machinery, lean on a gate and blow smoke up your a$$. But according to you I have no business there so I shouldn't be there. Hypocrisy much?

You would have a very limited scope for walking around that wasn't entering private property.

If you were acting like that though the assumption would be you were up to no good and you'd be confronted fairly fast and asked to explain yourself.

Walking back and forth on a narrow road looking into people yards and gardens does not fall under the heading of "having business there". Going to a match or any of the other amenities in salthill on the other had is a legitimate reason to be in the area.

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭jugger

Nox no one on a public road needs to explain themselves to you and yours in your opinion you might think they do but they dont

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

You would have a very limited scope for walking around that wasn't entering private property.

If you were acting like that though the assumption would be you were up to no good and you'd be confronted fairly fast and asked to explain yourself.

Walking back and forth on a narrow road looking into people yards and gardens does not fall under the heading of "having business there". Going to a match or any of the other amenities in salthill on the other had is a legitimate reason to be in the area.

Actually I don't need to have "business" there to use the public road, and if I want to drive or walk on the public road and have a look over the hedge you have no legal right to stop me, or confront me. It's a public road, not your private road.

Same goes for you parking in private estates just because you're going to a match nearby, you have no "business" being in that estate but no one has the right to confront you. I don't see how you can't reconcile the two, unless you somehow think you have greater rights than other people.

Zzippy wrote: »
    Actually I don't need to have "business" there to use the public road, and if I want to drive or walk on the public road and have a look over the hedge you have no legal right to stop me, or confront me. It's a public road, not your private road.

Same goes for you parking in private estates just because you're going to a match nearby, you have no "business" being in that estate but no one has the right to confront you. I don't see how you can't reconcile the two, unless you somehow think you have greater rights than other people.

You are really not getting the point. Parking to go to a match is a legitimate and valid reason to be in an area. Driving down a narrow country road with a dead end for no reason other than having a nose around (which could very easily be interoperated as checking out the place for robberies) is not really a valid reason. If there was a designated walk way or land mark etc then it would give a valid reason. You wouldn't even have a place to park unless you intended blocking the road or blocking a gate or drive way as the road is only wide enough for a single vehicle to pass.
    jugger wrote: »
    Nox no one on a public road needs to explain themselves to you and yours in your opinion you might think they do but they dont

If you are in the habit of nosing around country roads etc you should expect a knock on the door from the Gardai. Community alert is a big thing now in country areas and we are strongly encouraged to text in any number plates of cars seen around the area with seemingly no business there so yes people do need to explain themselves if their behaviour arouses suspicion.

That's all self-serving OT red herring stuff, liberally peppered with blatant hypocrisy.

The core issue is urban permeability and how that can be addressed, most especially where developer-led "planning" has resulted in lack of space to retrofit cul-de-sac estates, while fomenting the kind of reactionary "what we have we hold" mindsets displayed in this thread from the very start.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭Unrealistic

nuac wrote: »
    Any application for a CPO for a new path thru the estate, or indeed for acquisition of a house to knock for such access, would be made by a successor to the planning authority which granted permission for the original estate. Likely to be successfully challenged
    I know it's purely hypothetical but I'd be interested to hear why you think a challenge to a CPO on the basis that planning permission had been granted for the original construction of the house would "likely be successfully challenged" if the purpose was to construct a path? How is that legally any different from a house which was constructed with planning permission being CPO'd for a road?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,868 ✭✭✭what_traffic

Iwannahurl wrote: »
    Such as Highfield, for example, a cul-de-sac estate where GAA supporters like to park, usually on the footpath, before walking to Pearse Stadium: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056951980&page=14

Of course the cul-de-sac parkers are motorists, ie "the people that matter", so that's entirely different and AOK.

Highfield is a great example. While not a perfect design, if this type of estate was built in Knockers it would solve many of the permeability problems that exist there.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,686 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

If you are in the habit of nosing around country roads etc you should expect a knock on the door from the Gardai. Community alert is a big thing now in country areas and we are strongly encouraged to text in any number plates of cars seen around the area with seemingly no business there so yes people do need to explain themselves if their behaviour arouses suspicion.

And what exactly do you think the guards would be asking when they gave this knock. Unless there was a crime committed (which 99.99% of the time there would not have been), there is no problem with going exploring along any road, anywhere.

You are really not getting the point. Parking to go to a match is a legitimate and valid reason to be in an area. Driving down a narrow country road with a dead end for no reason other than

Foraging, exercising, cycling, running, bringing the kids for a wander, etc... You'd get told where to go if you or any of your paranoid family asked me what I was up to on a public road!!

I'd leave it now, you've been caught rapid on this thread!

John_Rambo wrote: »
    Foraging, exercising, cycling, running, bringing the kids for a wander, etc... You'd get told where to go if you or any of your paranoid family asked me what I was up to on a public road!!

I'd leave it now, you've been caught rapid on this thread!

We aren't paranoid at all, watching for strangers in the area is strongly encouraged in rural areas due to the increase in burglaries in recent times. I don't think you can picture the type of road I live on, while it is technically a public road it is essentially a private road to houses and land in reality as there is nothing public anywhere on it bar the very narrow road itself so you wouldn't have much scope for any foraging or wandering around or anywhere to park even.

Caught rapid? Yeah right :rolleyes:

We aren't paranoid at all, watching for strangers in the area is strongly encouraged in rural areas due to the increase in burglaries in recent times. I don't think you can picture the type of road I live on, while it is technically a public road it is essentially a private road to houses and land in reality as there is nothing public anywhere on it bar the very narrow road itself so you wouldn't have much scope for any foraging or wandering around or anywhere to park even.

From you're post history I think I know exactly where it is actually. I wouldn't be driving either. I'd be walking or cycling. You'd barely notice me there.

Driving down a narrow country road with a dead end for no reason other than having a nose around
    Kinda sounds like your living on a cul de sac

In your opinion I'm nosing around but not many people know this but I am a burglar
    Some say burglary is my business so if I have business on your road or near by its cool right ???
    Kinda like you parking in a cul de sac because your going to a match near by but the people don't want you there but it's fine because double 0 noxs says so

Also I thanked one of your posts just because I could much like walking driving cycling down a public road there is no need for me to explain why ;)

• Advertisement

From you're post history I think I know exactly where it is actually. I wouldn't be driving either. I'd be walking or cycling. You'd barely notice me there.

Sounds like the next boards beers location !!!

My post history would give no indication whatsoever about where my home place is, could be anywhere in county Galway.

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭L'Enfer du Nord

I've no interest in mixing with random strangers, hence why my house will have high electric gates and only friends and family members will be able access.

Sounds a bit like Mad Max meets the Waltons.

Chances are I wouldn't be arsed going down there. However there's no technically about it. It is a public road. I could cycle down there with a camera and take pictures if I wanted to, you could ask me my business but I wouldn't have to tell you anything. I wouldn't have a reg plate on a bike. but if I did arrive by car you toook my reg and contacted the cops etc. and they call around to me you'd be wasting there time because I wouldn't have broken any law.

My post history would give no indication whatsoever about where my home place is, could be anywhere in county Galway.

Judging by the info you give up I'd say you're South of Belclare, North of Claregalway, West of Lackaghbeg, but East of the Corrib. Somewhere close to Annaghdown, maybe Corrandulla or Rinn.
    jugger wrote: »
    Sounds like the next boards beers location !!!

Clarke's Tavern!

Back to Galway City as opposed to some rural community so blighted by crime or the fear of it that all strangers are regarded with suspicion.

I think a heck of a lot of improvements could be made with out CPOs. I have of course mostly only been down my own former cul-de-sac estate which was actually technically in Rahoon rather than Knocknacarra. I have no real business being in other dead-ends, so once I established there were no short cuts I stuck to the main roads. So I can't think of examples where houses would need to be knocked to open up an estate myself.

How about this route for a cycle expressway/ring route which is mostly either off road, or on minor roads, a few short stretches on main roads. It leads from the seafront in Salthill to The Hospital, NUIG. It would only require two walls to be knocked down, one on Miller's lane and one in Kingston. (Bigger version attached)

359747.jpg

There's various issues with this route: Too long, Too hilly. But why talk about knocking houses when we're not even properly using the permeability that does exist in terms of marked routes with proper integration.

Judging by the info you give up I'd say you're South of Belclare, North of Claregalway, West of Lackaghbeg, but East of the Corrib. Somewhere close to Annaghdown, maybe Corrandulla or Rinn.

You're a fair bit off but you must have put in a lot of trawling through posts to come up with that guess.

You're a fair bit off but you must have put in a lot of trawling through posts to come up with that guess.

A two minute search. ;) I have family that live close by, I know the area.

How about this route for a cycle expressway/ring route which is mostly either off road, or on minor roads, a few short stretches on main roads. It leads from the seafront in Salthill to The Hospital, NUIG. It would only require two walls to be knocked down, one on Miller's lane and one in Kingston.

I know that's just one suggested trip, ie Salthill to UHG/NUIG, but I can't imagine why anyone would need to take anything other than the most direct route in that scenario.

That said, your more general point is very valid: cyclists, especially the less confident ones, will take a longer route if it is more pleasant and traffic conditions are more conducive. However, I presume there are natural limits to that compromise. Pedestrians would be even more sensitive to that trade-off.

I'm aware of some cycle routes along minor roads and through short cuts in cul-de-sacs that might well suit those less confident cyclists. It would be great of these could be mapped. Another advantage of such a map might be that it would potentially highlight locations where permeability could be improved (by demolition if necessary ;)).*

Incidentally, here's an example of where permeability in Knocknacarra was deliberately compromised to facilitate the flow of motorised traffic: the Western Distributor Road cutting across Millar's Lane, and no pedestrian crossing provided (at this point or indeed anywhere else along the entire 3 km length of the WDR).

Foraging, exercising, cycling, running, bringing the kids for a wander, etc... You'd get told where to go if you or any of your paranoid family asked me what I was up to on a public road!

Foraging? Exercising? You ain't from around here, are ya? ;)

Sounds a bit like Mad Max meets the Waltons.

Utopia, for some...

rednecks.jpg

*Of course a potential disadvantage of such a map would be that it might attract the attention of the reactionaries who believe they have a private veto over the use of public roads.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,836 ✭✭✭?Cee?view

How about this route for a cycle expressway/ring route which is mostly either off road, or on minor roads, a few short stretches on main roads. It leads from the seafront in Salthill to The Hospital, NUIG. It would only require two walls to be knocked down, one on Miller's lane and one in Kingston. (Bigger version attached)

Looks interesting and very similar to a route I take by scooter/motorbike (extremely under utilised modes of transport in Galway), but having used most of this route, I can't see why you'd need to knock a wall in either Kingston or Millar's Lane? Can you not just turn off Kingston straight into Manor Drive and from there straight onto Millar's Lane?

Advertisement