Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pains and aches

Options
  • 13-08-2015 2:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭

I was chatting to my house mate the other night (we are both 30) and I was saying that i have noticed a huge increase in general pains and aches over the last few years.

I have suffered with lower back pain now for several years, nothing debilitating but more annoying than anything else. I gym regular enough and enjoy running and swimming but I would in no way consider myself to be super fit.

The way I explained it to my house mate was, on the pain scale of 1 to 10, 10 being horrific pain, i'm about to die... i would say that I am always at a 1, some days a 2. Again, all very manageable and more of an annoyance than anything else... but still, never pain free.

Is this normal... Is it just getting part of getting old? Does anyone else suffer from old man pains?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,557 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

If you have persistent pain in your back, I'd get that seen to. There's an underlying cause that might be easily rectified if it was addressed.

You can only get old man pains when you're old. You're only 30.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭OmegaRed

If you have persistent pain in your back, I'd get that seen to. There's an underlying cause that might be easily rectified if it was addressed.

Sorry, I should have said that I have addressed that. The lower back pain was caused by no core strength and sitting at an office desk for 8+ hours a day. I am currently working on this as per doctors advise.. they have informed me its nothing serious.

Just to clarify, I'm not like suffering here or anything. I would consider myself to be very lucky when it comes to my health and lifestyle. It was more a thought that I had of always having some sort of a niggle or two in my body....

• Registered Users Posts: 24,557 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Ah, fair enough.

How often do you exercise?

It could just be that you don't recover as quickly, now that you've entered your twilight years and you exercise again before you're recovered.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭OmegaRed

• Bad week, 0 to 2 times
    • good week, 3 to 4 maybe 5 times

I would feel the DOMS pretty frequently, especially after a big (for me) weights session, but I feel I know the difference between the DOMS and general aches by now.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

If you think you are getting old at 30, god help you. Honestly, 30 year old 'old man pains'. :)

If you are getting pains and aches at 30, they are not likely to be age related, but more likely to be activity and condition related.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

How is your posture? Do you have your chair, desk, monitor, keyboard and mouse setup correctly at work? This is a contributor to lower back pain. Fix that and you will fix a lot of issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,394 ✭✭✭Transform

Person spends 6-8hrs sitting all day, doesn't do 20-30mins of mobility work to combat tight shoulders and hips (back pain is primarily driven by tight flutes and hip fexors in most people), does this for a few years, starts to feel like a crock.

There's a solution in there

Time spent sitting is a big factor as is a poor diet and a proper training program

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭neddynasty

Transform wrote: »
    Person spends 6-8hrs sitting all day, doesn't do 20-30mins of mobility work to combat tight shoulders and hips (back pain is primarily driven by tight flutes and hip fexors in most people), does this for a few years, starts to feel like a crock.

There's a solution in there

Time spent sitting is a big factor as is a poor diet and a proper training program

Any suggestions for mobility work for a person in the same 6-8hrs sitting situation 5 days a week?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭strelok

• Registered Users Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭CamperMan

could be an allergy to wheat or yeast, or something else..

I had a bad back for many years, once all flour products were taken out of the diet, 6 months later the back was fine..

I also have a problem with my ankle, drink some beer, and the next day the pain is so bad you'd want pain meds.. cut out all beer (yeast) and the ankle is fine...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Nichololas

CamperMan wrote: »
    could be an allergy to wheat or yeast, or something else..

I had a bad back for many years, once all flour products were taken out of the diet, 6 months later the back was fine..

I also have a problem with my ankle, drink some beer, and the next day the pain is so bad you'd want pain meds.. cut out all beer (yeast) and the ankle is fine...

If it walks like a duck, talks like a duck, it's probably the ghost of TV's Cilla Black !

Advertisement