Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First time pig keeper, where to look for stock?

Options
  • 13-08-2015 1:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭

Hi,

So hopefully withing the next 6 months, I'd like to take on 2 piglets, purely for pet purposes and helping root up/fertilize my garden and recycling of vegetable waste etc.

I've done a little info and the breed Kune kune, seems to be the one most recommended for "pet" purposes. I also like the look of Old spot and Tamworth.

Are there any other breeds people could recommend for me? Or would a cross/hybrid be better for overall health etc

They would want to be a relatively docile breed as I also have poultry, I'm not sure yet would I let them mix, I need to do some more research on disease risk etc and I was also told by someone that pigs would eat the fowl?

Thanks in Advance :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,152 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Firstly it is highly unlikely that pigs will target your fowl unless 1) you give them a dead hen 2) they are starving and the only food source is a chicken or any other species. Hens are pretty stupid creatures but not so stupid to offer themselves up as a meal :)
    However if pigs can gain access to your hen coop/run they will hoover up eggs be them fresh or hatching eggs.
    I have no experience of Kune Kune but do have experience of most breeds including Tamworth, GOS, Saddleback, VPB and the commercial breeds.
    With the exception of VPB the others are active rooters and will turn ley into dust/muck (weather dependent).
    Pigs live a long life so be warned that they will be around for many years. They are also intelligent animals and will test most forms of fencing. Electric fencing is the only thing that they respect.
    Also pigs and poultry have coexisted (in harmony) on every farm yard in Ireland in the past.

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Stressica

Okay thank you, I thought the poultry thing was a bit ott about them eating them alive etc.

Any idea where I should look for stock? I know there are always some on done deal, ideally like to meet the farmer/owner before etc
    but I haven't found any pig keepers of Ireland society kind of thing (if they even exist )

With the ones you have had experience is there any breed in particular you'd recommend for the purpose I intend to keep them for?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,152 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Most people selling will show you there set up and animals, be them on Done Deal or any other site.
    How much land do you have to keep two pigs?

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Stressica

Just over an acre. Depending on weather/time of year, there is a large bog behind the house they can have some time in too. (all electric fenced)

Advertisement