Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Peaceful Protest

Options
  • 13-08-2015 9:11am

A battlecry that we've heard many times, but what does it actually mean to engage in peaceful protest?

Obviously this thread is being started on the back of Murphy's arrest for his interpretation of what it is to 'peacefully protest' being out of line with the DPP, but I don't really want to focus on that too much.

premise: A protest that doesn't inconvenience someone is an ineffective protest.

Logically you could suggest that if nobody is bothered by it, nobody would be bothered enough to do anything about the reason behind the protest.

The idea of protest is to publicly register a complaint and to prove involvement and passion against something. A side aim would be to resonate with more apathetic individuals and to bring them on board.

What levels of inconvenience are acceptable in order to achieve these goals? Where is the line? Is shouting "peaceful protest" really a peaceful protest?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

What levels of inconvenience are acceptable in order to achieve these goals? Where is the line? Is shouting "peaceful protest" really a peaceful protest?

Something specific & relevant to the cause.

eg:
    - Standing outside parliament in opposition to something you perceive as wrong = fine.

- A bunch of Eirigi cretins sitting down blocking O'Connell street & the quays...
    = not fine, because it disproportionately attacks the wrong opponent in the wrong way.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,791 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

premise: A protest that doesn't inconvenience someone is an ineffective protest.
    As with almost everything in life, the question is where the line is drawn. Inconveniencing people is one thing; deliberately imprisoning them is another.
    Is shouting "peaceful protest" really a peaceful protest?
    If I shout "peaceful protest" while battering someone with a stick, is it really a peaceful protest?

Clearly not; the words are at odds with the behaviour. Which leads to the next logical question: why would anyone feel the need to shout "peaceful protest" at all, if not to give the lie to their actions? Are actual peaceful protests traditionally accompanied by shouts of "peaceful protest"?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,604 ✭✭✭creedp

Something specific & relevant to the cause.

eg:
    - Standing outside parliament in opposition to something you perceive as wrong = fine.

- A bunch of Eirigi cretins sitting down blocking O'Connell street & the quays...
    = not fine, because it disproportionately attacks the wrong opponent in the wrong way.

Hauliers blocking roads or on a go slow through Dublin City?

Farmers driving through the City in tractor convoys/releasing a load of sheep into Dept of Agriculture building?

A couple of e.g. of past protests which could probably be put in same category as 'not fine' protests above. But then again they aren't a 'bunch of Eirigi cretins' so thats probably different.

Basically I'm never in favour of protests that inconvenience my life ... but them again that's life and is one form of protest more legitimate than another?

creedp wrote: »
    Hauliers blocking roads or on a go slow through Dublin City?
    Completely blocking the road wouldnt be fair.
    Farmers driving through the City in tractor convoys/releasing a load of sheep into Dept of Agriculture building?
    I tagged along to that one when I was a kid as one of my uncles was involved....
    It inconvenienced by reducing road capacity, didnt block roads entirely if memory serves & was targeted at the government.

quite different from a handful of quasi-communists plonking themselves in the middle of the road with no purpose other than giving a "f*ck you" to commuters.

A again they aren't a 'bunch of Eirigi cretins' so thats probably different.
    No, they were objevtively different.
    As Eirigi are objectively a bunch of cretins.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,200 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Once protesters aren't breaking the law or impeding anyone going about their business then it's fine by me.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭conorh91

Once protesters aren't breaking the law or impeding anyone going about their business then it's fine by me.
    It's almost impossible to engage in any meaningful protest without breaking the law.

e.g.

S.7 OATS Act 1939 (Interference with military or other employees of the State)
    S.8 OATS Act 1939 (Obstruction of the President)
    S.10 OATS Act 1939 (Prohibition of printing, publishing or sale of certain documents)
    S.12 OATS Act 1939 (Possession of treasonable document, etc.)
    S.10 Criminal Law (Jurisdiction) Act 1976 (Unlawful seizure of vehicles)
    S.5(1)(b) Criminal Justice (Public Order) Act 1994 (Disorderly conduct in public place)
    S.6(1) Criminal Justice (Public Order) Act 1994 (Threatening, abusive or insulting behaviour in public place)
    S.7(1) Criminal Justice (Public Order) Act 1994 (Distribution or display in public place of material which is threatening, abusive, insulting or obscene)
    S.8(2) Criminal Justice (Public Order) Act 1994 (Failure to comply with direction of member of AGS to leave vicinity)
    S.9 Criminal Justice (Public Order) Act, 1994 (Willful obstruction)
    Ss.9(1)(d)--(e) Non-Fatal Offences Against the Person Act 1997 (Coercion)
    S.15 NFOAP Act 1997 (False imprisonment)

Almost none of the above are ever considered for prosecution of acts carried out in the course of protest because we all have some hazy idea in our heads of what crosses the line from reasonableness into unreasonableness.

However, this is a very subjective distinction. I don't think we can claim to be able to rely coldly on the statute and common law offences for guidance.

I think only the most egregious and obvious breaches of the law should be prosecuted, and that the DPP should operate a higher threshold of tolerance when it comes to public protests than she would in other cases. In my opinion, the Joan Burton case meets that egregious test, but I can understand that some particularly lawless thugs would disagree.

But this is not a matter for law, it's a matter of public policy and subjective opinion.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,200 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

conorh91 wrote: »
    It's almost impossible to engage in any meaningful protest without breaking the law....

Fair point. I suppose if you don't cause some sort of minor inconvenience then you run the risk of being ignored. As you've said, there is a line which, once crossed, causes more harm to the cause than good.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

I would have thought it means to make the opinion of a preferably large number of people public. To be noticed by as many as possible.
    I didn't think you'd actually have to inconvenience someone to do so.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Surely what is or is not acceptable is that which is criminalised or permitted in the legislation. You know, the will of the people as democratically expressed and all.

Equally, some issues may be so important that protesters are prepared to break the law and suffer the consequences ala Ghandi.

This idea that protesters can imprison a senior member of government for several hours in frightening conditions is not acceptable to the majority of citizens. However, if the protesters said "we feel water charges are so important we are prepared to go to jail for it" and they have no moral qualms with frighening a middle aged lady then I suppose it is acceptable to them.

I don't think they can have it both ways though - that because they feel so strongly about it that they break the law means that we as a society should refuse to punish them because of it.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,001 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

I think for me it's about inconveniencing the "Entity" rather than the person.

So -
    • Workers blockading a factory preventing good vehicles entering/leaving for example - OK
    • Workers blockading a factory and preventing other staff from leaving to go home at the end of the day - Not OK

Protests should by and large not be about individuals they should be about the issues.

I think that once you begin to personalise an argument you've lost.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,477 ✭✭✭✭Sand

Boskowski wrote: »
    I would have thought it means to make the opinion of a preferably large number of people public. To be noticed by as many as possible.
    I didn't think you'd actually have to inconvenience someone to do so.

This is correct. A good protest inconveniences no one. It simply highlights the feelings of as many people as can be rallied, sending a warning to the politicians seeking election next time out.

Unrepresentative groups, that simply cant rally serious numbers of people for any purpose, are forced to engage in desperate acts to try attract attention as no one cares was 5 guys and a dog think.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,754 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

you could say that about most strikes particularily public sector ones

not sure why you set it up as inconvient vs peaceful

isn't sitting down peaceful protest?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,477 ✭✭✭✭Sand

isn't sitting down peaceful protest?

Inconveniencing someone involves a certain threat and level of violence.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,754 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

Sand wrote: »
    it does?

think ppeople are just trying to lower the bar to what they personally thin its accreptable protest, these people probably never protested.

Sand wrote: »
    So to be clear, a sit-down protest on O'Connell Street would not constitute inconvenience?

I tagged along to that one when I was a kid as one of my uncles was involved....
    It inconvenienced by reducing road capacity, didnt block roads entirely if memory serves & was targeted at the government.

quite different from a handful of quasi-communists plonking themselves in the middle of the road with no purpose other than giving a "f*ck you" to commuters.

I think this just highlights that's peoples views on what is/is not accepted is strongly coloured by bias - just like I'm sure every protesting farmer is the salt of the earth and is concerned about everyone but himself/herself while every anti water charge person is a quasi-communist who doesn't give a f*ck about ayone else.

I think this just highlights that's peoples views on what is/is not accepted is strongly coloured by bias - just like I'm sure every protesting farmer is the salt of the earth and is concerned about everyone but himself/herself while every anti water charge person is a quasi-communist who doesn't give a f*ck about ayone else.

You know what they say about assumptions kid.

The only ones I consider 'quasi-communist' are the ones who label themselves as such.

You know what they say about assumptions kid.

The only ones I consider 'quasi-communist' are the ones who label themselves as such.

Seriously!! There's more than bias going on there

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

Could you explain what blocking traffic of ordinary people has to do with water charges?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement

Permabear wrote: »
    This post had been deleted.
    What about lower taxation protests? Protests favouring greater personal rights?

Could you explain what blocking traffic of ordinary people has to do with water charges?

What has blocking traffic of ordinary people go to do with any form of protest? Didn't say I agree with it .. I am simply pointing out that other forms of protest also involve blocking traffic and similarly inconvencing people .. it doesn't make all protesters lefty pinkos who don't give a f*ck about anyone though.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,001 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

It's hard to think of any protest in Ireland in the last 40 years that would have it's political roots anywhere other than the left wing...

Every protest that I can think of has been around not wanting to pay for something or complaints about a reduction in a government payment or service of some kind or other.

I think there needs to be an injection of some perspective there.

Complaining about being subjected to driving south via Capel Street instead of a preferred route, is not at all on the same locus of the hierarchy of personal rights as, say, the right to contraceptive choices, or freedom from excessive taxation.

The point about excessively high taxes is not that public resources should be spared, it's that my resources should be spared from others.

Criticism of an important civil protest because it briefly hinders the flow of traffic, as though all rights were equal, is incredibly myopic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Mizu_Ger

conorh91 wrote: »
    Criticism of an important civil protest because it briefly hinders the flow of traffic, as though all rights were equal, is incredibly myopic.

The problem with this is that most protests don't need to impede traffic, but do so to gain maximum exposure.

People sitting down in the middle of the streets and blocking traffic is an annoyance and in my view counter-productive to the aims of the protest.

If you want to garner public support , making them miss work because you've blocked traffic isn't helping..

Having said that - That's still a "peaceful" protest - If you act the tool when the Gardai ask you to move , then you are moving into illegality and it no longer being "peaceful"

Blocking specific individuals completely is definitely not peaceful though..

e.g. If you block the exits to a building/car-park and prevent the safe movement of private citizen that's most definitely not a peaceful/legal protest. And Yes , A Government minister , CEO or whatever is still a private citizen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭HivemindXX

Quin_Dub wrote: »
    It's hard to think of any protest in Ireland in the last 40 years that would have it's political roots anywhere other than the left wing...

Every protest that I can think of has been around not wanting to pay for something or complaints about a reduction in a government payment or service of some kind or other.

Every protest related to abortion or marriage.

Advertisement