Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Perth World Series

Options
  • 12-08-2015 5:03pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭

The Perth leg of the World Series kicks of this Friday 14th.

Live coverage on Setanta Ireland

Friday 12pm-4pm
    Saturday 12pm-3:30pm
    Sunday 12pm-3:30pm

Delayed coverage on Itv4

Draw..

Phil Taylor (1) v Craig Caldwell
    Stephen Bunting (8) v Kyle Anderson
    Adrian Lewis (5) v Loz Ryder
    Gary Anderson (4) v Kim Lewis
    Michael van Gerwen (2) v David Platt
    Raymond van Barneveld (7) v Simon Whitlock
    James Wade (6) v Adam Rowe
    Peter Wright (3) v Paul Nicholson

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭ComfortKid

Predictions anyone? I fancy Taylor to win this one after defeat in the matchplay, he will want revenge. The draw allows him to meet MvG in the final.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭Firewalkwithme

I'm sure Paul Nicholson will win since he's playing on home soil ;)

Ha ha ha. Of the home players, I wouldn't be surprised if Kyle Anderson went far, he has a tough draw though.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,248 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Am I the only one that has almost zero interest in these exhibition tournaments?

I think I'm the only one with an interest in em haha. They are boring an repetitive but I'll watch any darts on tv. It's a long wait for the Grand Prix

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,248 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Ah yeah I'll probably stick it on in the background alright but I wouldn't really be bothered who wins. It's entirely about promoting the sport around the world which can only be a good thing but it's not the most exciting tournament around!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,480 ✭✭✭Devastator

I've got no interest. Might put it on for few mins if theres nothing else on.
    My feelings are same as KingP, just a load of promotional exhibitions

• Registered Users Posts: 11,274 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

Kingp35 wrote: »
    Am I the only one that has almost zero interest in these exhibition tournaments?

Yeah I feel pretty similar about them.

They are a smart idea to promote the game in other countries but it's still pretty crap.

It's good to at least see some local players and not the usual same old heads.

Doubt we are going to get an 'upset' though, maybe Kyle Anderson but not really an upset. It'd make it more interesting if some unknown player knocked out a few pros

• Registered Users Posts: 17,806 ✭✭✭✭paulie21

James Wade 6-1 Adam Rowe
    Gary Anderson 6-0 Kim Lewis
    Adrian Lewis 6-1 Loz Ryder
    Phil Taylor 6-1 Craig Caldwell
    Kyle Anderson 6-5 Stephen Bunting
    Peter Wright 6-2 Paul Nicholson
    Raymond van Barneveld 6-3 Simon Whitlock
    Michael van Gerwen 6-4 David Platt

No upsets. Bunting/Anderson was a great game

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,498 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Kingp35 wrote: »

Nope. Couldn't care about them. I'd only barely have the premier league higher than them in terms of my personal interest levels though. In fact its only your own predictions competition that keeps me anyway interested in the PL

No point watching now
    Cheers Paulie :D

Bunting seems to have mastered the art of playing brilliantly and losing! A bit like myself :-/

Was looking forward to this tournament just because it's darts on tv,with a few different faces, the buzz is gone now as its just the 8 most popular players again

Edit- Minus Bunting.

Paul Nicholson seems like a decent enough commentator. Would be good to hear him a bit more.

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭The Showstopper

Plenty of drama there in the Lewis v Anderson game. Great entertainment.

Lewis shows he has no bottle again. Obviously he has massive talent but he just cannot handle any pressure at all. I would have beating Ando there he was shocking

ComfortKid wrote: »
    Lewis shows he has no bottle again. Obviously he has massive talent but he just cannot handle any pressure at all. I would have beating Ando there he was shocking

2 time World Champ has no bottle and can't handle pressure because he loses a fairly meaningless exhibition game.

You really do come out with some gems.

Yep. How many times have we seen him bottle a big leads? How many finals and semis has he lost due to lack of concentration near the finish line?

3 majors for a player as talented as him is very,very bad.
    It shows he can't win big games. (Not that this was a big game) but you can't be losing a first to 8 when your 6-1 up no matter what tournament it is!

You seem to be following me around looking to argue. Just ignore my posts if you dont like, no need for the smart remarks!

Even with 2 WC's(even though he never should have gotten past Wade in semi. Windgate my hole IMO :) ) and all the talk about him for so many years I personally don't think he's really won(majors) what he should have.

I've watched nothing of this masters, just keeping eye on thread for few updates. Turned on earlier while Barney/MVG were warming up and turned over again :D

Whens the next major or tv tourney?(this time on sat night seems like easier option than looking) :pac:

Devastator wrote:
    Whens the next major or tv tourney?(this time on sat night seems like easier option than looking)

Haha. Think it's the Grand Prix in October? A long way off.

• Advertisement

Poor from MvG in the semis, never seen him miss so many doubles and be outscored aswell.
    Taylor was always going to win this anyway.

Next ones on in Sydney this Thursday Friday and Saturday.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,621 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

mdwexford wrote: »
    2 time World Champ has no bottle and can't handle pressure because he loses a fairly meaningless exhibition game.

You really do come out with some gems.

Not entirely sure I'd agree. Currently and in the recent past Lewis appears to be mentally fragile and not able to handle intense pressure, doesn't mean he wasn't able to in the past but a couple of knocks to your confidence can be hard to recover from. Just look at Barneys capitulations over the last few years when originally he seemed like a very confident guy.

TbL

Yep. How many times have we seen him bottle a big leads? How many finals and semis has he lost due to lack of concentration near the finish line?

3 majors for a player as talented as him is very,very bad.
    It shows he can't win big games. (Not that this was a big game) but you can't be losing a first to 8 when your 6-1 up no matter what tournament it is!

You seem to be following me around looking to argue. Just ignore my posts if you dont like, no need for the smart remarks!

Not that many big leads in important games that I can think of tbh.

His consistency is his problem rather than bottle I think, he undoubtedly should have won loads more majors for the talent he has.

It's a discussion forum, I'm not out to get you don't worry.
    Not entirely sure I'd agree. Currently and in the recent past Lewis appears to be mentally fragile and not able to handle intense pressure, doesn't mean he wasn't able to in the past but a couple of knocks to your confidence can be hard to recover from. Just look at Barneys capitulations over the last few years when originally he seemed like a very confident guy.

TbL

Can't agree with not being able to handle the pressure. He's produced his best darts in Worlds, Matchplay, big games vs Taylor, Anderson, MVG etc.

I think his A game is not shown consistently enough and he lacks killer instinct. He's too nice for his own good, always smiling and joking about on stage when he should be more focused on piling pressure on people.

mdwexford wrote:
    Not that many big leads in important games that I can think of tbh.

I'm not going doing research for you, but off the top of my head, Didn't he miss 9 or 12 match darts against Barney in the last world championship? There is loads more I'm sure of it.

He lacks killer instinct as you said yourself, he can't finish games off, He can't hold a lead like the other 'big boys' because he ****s himself, unless you have a better explanation?

I actually don't buy into the argument that Lewis is a "nice fella" at all. Yes he has a jovial kind of presence but his sportsmanship leaves a lot to be desired and that for me shows the true character of the man rather than the persona he puts on.

From early in his career he's been involved in "incidents" on stage but over the last few years, especially in big games when he is loosing, his stalling tactics run riot. From his "Ohhh I've lost count taking 12 off 72" through complaining about wind to "I'm a big guy & can't help it" when hes registering on the richter scale. All BS excuses IMO that he has used to try and get an advantage over his opponent

I'm not going doing research for you, but off the top of my head, Didn't he miss 9 or 12 match darts against Barney in the last world championship? There is loads more I'm sure of it.

He lacks killer instinct as you said yourself, he can't finish games off, He can't hold a lead like the other 'big boys' because he ****s himself, unless you have a better explanation?

He was never more than 1 set ahead against Barney, that's not a big lead.

I said what I think above.
    Concentration and focus are his problems I think.
    He can make hard work of beating the lesser players sometimes and can be dragged down.
    Devastator wrote: »
    I actually don't buy into the argument that Lewis is a "nice fella" at all. Yes he has a jovial kind of presence but his sportsmanship leaves a lot to be desired and that for me shows the true character of the man rather than the persona he puts on.

From early in his career he's been involved in "incidents" on stage but over the last few years, especially in big games when he is loosing, his stalling tactics run riot. From his "Ohhh I've lost count taking 12 off 72" through complaining about wind to "I'm a big guy & can't help it" when hes registering on the richter scale. All BS excuses IMO that he has used to try and get an advantage over his opponent

He's very popular with the players and I've never heard anyone say a bad word about him.

mdwexford wrote: »
    He's very popular with the players and I've never heard anyone say a bad word about him.

Peter Manley's 1.

Taylor also seems very popular among the players but what they really think and say to tv cameras I feel is very different.

His "on stage antics" just annoy the balls off me because I believe he is a better player than having to resort to what is leaning towards cheating IMO.

mdwexford wrote:
    I said what I think above. Concentration and focus are his problems I think. He can make hard work of beating the lesser players sometimes and can be dragged down.

If concentration and focus are to blame then why does he reach so many quater and semi finals? He's a great player but I just don't think he can win games when it really matters, be it blowing big leads, missing lots of match darts in a close game or getting the brush, I'd say it's down to lack of mental strength.

Devastator wrote:

Definitely. I've never ever seen a player to drop his darts as much either.. Rarely happens when he's winning though.

• Advertisement

Devastator wrote: »
    Peter Manley's 1.

Taylor also seems very popular among the players but what they really think and say to tv cameras I feel is very different.

His "on stage antics" just annoy the balls off me because I believe he is a better player than having to resort to what is leaning towards cheating IMO.

Manley is a known tosser.

Ah you can see what they really think of him sometimes though.
    He's condescending, Lewis seems a genuine fella.

I can't say I'd have him in that bracket of gamesmanship myself.

Advertisement