Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Flye Fit Macken Street

Options
  • 11-08-2015 5:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Just joined the FlyFit on Macken Street, haven't been in to see it yet however. What are peoples opinions on it? Is there parking around the area? And how busy does it be in the mornings at about 7-8.30 and then the same times in the evenings? I know they are the busiest times for a gym really but is it really jammed?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Only parking is on the street and you'll find it very very hard at busy times. They have a dedicated bike rack room inside the building though which is nice.

It gets pretty jammers after 6. I won't lie. Rammed. 5-6 is actually surprisingly quiet, I guess most people don't really get out of the office until later.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭carlmango11

I joined about 2 weeks ago and even though I go quite late (21:30 - 23ish) it still seems busy. I can only imagine what it's like at 6.

Also no one puts back their weights. Not sure if that's a FlyeFit thing or just general because I was originally in a much smaller place where everyone put everything back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

Also no one puts back their weights. Not sure if that's a FlyeFit thing or just general because I was originally in a much smaller place where everyone put everything back.

It's a dickhead thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭fungie

They recently got rid of their wooden platforms and replaced it with a soft material that compresses, not great for weightlifting.

It only compresses a little, I didn't have any problems with it.

What I am livid/baffled about is that they've bolted closed the big shutters that they used to open when it was hot (literally bolted, permanently, according to a staff member). I was in there this week and it must have been 28 degrees and there was no way whatsoever to get some air in. Bonkers. There must be health and safety standards for that sort of thing?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,394 ✭✭✭Transform

fungie wrote: »
    They recently got rid of their wooden platforms and replaced it with a soft material that compresses, not great for weightlifting.
    lol!!

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭DaveD

Zillah wrote: »
    It only compresses a little, I didn't have any problems with it.

What I am livid/baffled about is that they've bolted closed the big shutters that they used to open when it was hot (literally bolted, permanently, according to a staff member). I was in there this week and it must have been 28 degrees and there was no way whatsoever to get some air in. Bonkers. There must be health and safety standards for that sort of thing?

I go at lunchtime and the shutters were open on a few days during the week. I think they've a lot of noise complaints from residents on that side.

DaveD wrote: »
    I go at lunchtime and the shutters were open on a few days during the week. I think they've a lot of noise complaints from residents on that side.

Since, say Wednesday? Because I was told they're never opening again.

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭DaveD

Zillah wrote: »
    Since, say Wednesday? Because I was told they're never opening again.

Defo closed on Friday but I thought they were open on Thursday.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,734 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

DaveD wrote: »
    Defo closed on Friday but I thought they were open on Thursday.

http://touch.boards.ie/thread/post/96553260
    I wonder :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭COH

Options are to either close the shutters or close the gym... its not unheard of for local councils to issue mandates to gyms regarding noise in residential areas.

As for health regulations regarding temperature... I would say theoretically there are some, but for all intents and purposes its essentially unenforcable in that kind of environment (tempersture isnt constant/controllable) unless flyefit (the ryanair of gyms) decide to spent hundreds of thousands insulating the building and installing temperature control without increasing membership prices to cover it etc. (LOL).

You train in a big tin shed you get all the bonuses of a large open plan gym and all the draw backs of being in a giant big tin shed!

Another few months you'll be glad they are sealed :)

Advertisement