Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Highly rated games you have been dissapointed with

Options
  • 11-08-2015 1:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭CruelCoin

Allo all.

I recently bought up a load of games that were rated as "must plays" in their respective categories, and have been dissapointed with several of them.

Have you bought and been disspointed with any "star" games? Why?

Here are two in particular for me:

This War of Mine - Interesting concept, gorgeous artstyle. But after day 4 one guy was depressed, another broken, another sad. I thought i was buying into a wartime survival game, not some "all war is evil", "i feel so alone, whimper" bull****. Uninstalled after 2 hours.

Divinity Origional Sin - Holy wall of keyboard shortcuts batman! The control scheme is so obtuse that it sucks the fun out of the game. Also, having two main characters of equal importance means you never form a bond with either of them. Uninstalled after 20 minutes.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,737 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

Dragon Age Inquisition : sad to say it but the combat was fcuking woeful in that game. The story was half decent and the world looked great but the combat, the combat was so soo bad.

The crafting was a pile of shyte too, and the multiplayer (they've fixed this now) had an always on mic that could not be turned off - so you're stuck listening to someones mum ask to do their homework and get increasingly agitated or the sniffle guy, sniff sniff sniff every two seconds because he's got a headcold, and then the complete and utter tosspot that plays one direction songs on repeat while playing a game through his speakers.. give me patience!

Anyway, i was slightly disappointed with Dragonage Inquisition, but it was a massive improvement over DA2.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭CruelCoin

Dragon Age Inquisition i also uninstalled for the same reason. Combat was terrible and there was no way to discern what level an enemy was, other than engage and hope...

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭Ant695

GTA IV and GTA V. That's not to say I didn't enjoy them it's just that they get so much hype from every corner of the internet between marketing and people who assume new GTA has to be best game ever. I enjoyed both immensely but by the time of completion I felt like I'd missed something that they just weren't as good as they were supposed to be. As such GTA doesn't even crack my top 5 game series.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

CruelCoin wrote: »
    Divinity Origional Sin - Holy wall of keyboard shortcuts batman! The control scheme is so obtuse that it sucks the fun out of the game. Also, having two main characters of equal importance means you never form a bond with either of them. Uninstalled after 20 minutes.

One could argue that maybe to form a bond with a character you might require slightly more than 20 minutes.

I was disappointed in Red Alert 3. Seriously silly game. Parachuting bears? Nah.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭Falthyron

Dark Souls - For the BDSM community, to be perfectly honest. If you like being told you are $hit, beaten repeatedly, frustrated beyond reasonable levels of difficulty, this is the game for you.

GTA IV - Highly overrated and very disappointing. The side-characters is the only redeemable feature of this game.

Uncharted - 2 and 3 were fun, but the first one was a bland cover shooter.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

Agree with Dragons Age Inquisition. The story quests were good but it was padded with so many **** and pointless sidequests. It got to a point where i was so bored i just set the difficulty to easy so i could blast through the remainder of the story quickly.

Also the crafting thing was pointless. Didn't craft any weapons once throughout the game and never felt like i needed to either. Most of the blueprints i got were for weapons inferior to what i had already and i couldn't be bothered farming enemies for materials. The game felt like a singleplayer MMO at times.

Another game that was highly rated but i didn't like was Sonic Generations. I liked the 2D classic style levels but the "modern" Sonic 3D levels were awful with a ****e camera and controls that made them frustrating to play. Got fed up of it after a few hours and sacked it.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

I couldn't get into Shadow of Mordor. I didn't think it was a bad game, I just wasn't enjoying it after the few hours I gave it. I think the combat system just didn't gel for me or something.

I really wanted to like that game too, it was interesting on many levels. :(

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Bioshock games - average FPS' that were little more than massively dumbed down System Shock 2 for consoles.

WoW - no idea what it was supposed to be, but fun it wasn't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

The latest Sim City.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,102 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Moved to Games as it's relevant to all platforms

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

Bioshock Infinite, total rubbish IMHO

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,106 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Skyrim , felt like a lifeless world, dragons quickly became annoying.

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Connavar

Falthyron wrote: »
    Dark Souls - For the BDSM community, to be perfectly honest. If you like being told you are $hit, beaten repeatedly, frustrated beyond reasonable levels of difficulty, this is the game for you.

GTA IV - Highly overrated and very disappointing. The side-characters is the only redeemable feature of this game.

Uncharted - 2 and 3 were fun, but the first one was a bland cover shooter.
    Is GTA IV highly rated? Haven't spoken to anyone who liked it.

Bioshock for me. Thought it was really boring

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,106 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

The latest Sim City.

Omg yes, pile of garbage

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Danjamin1

nesf wrote:
    I couldn't get into Shadow of Mordor. I didn't think it was a bad game, I just wasn't enjoying it after the few hours I gave it. I think the combat system just didn't gel for me or something.

I really wanted to like that game too, it was interesting on many levels.

I'm shocked by this, I absolutely loved this game! The combat system was smooth and fast paced, like the current Batman games!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Skyrim , felt like a lifeless world, dragons quickly became annoying.

Faas-Ru-Maar!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭Falthyron

Connavar wrote: »
    Is GTA IV highly rated? Haven't spoken to anyone who liked it.

Bioshock for me. Thought it was really boring

5th highest rated game of all time, apparently.

http://www.metacritic.com/browse/games/score/metascore/all/all/filtered?sort=desc

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,006 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Falthyron wrote: »

Ah it's not even that tough. All it requires is a bit of patience on behalf of the player, which isn't for everyone... But it should be :P

Recently for me shadows of Mordor. In a world where Bayonetta 2 and metal gear rising exist then a game with nothing but the crappy batman combat system should not be winning game of the year rewards.

Metal Gear Solid 4 as well was really bad but got highish reviews from the less fan boyish press. It was a massive step back from MGS3 with boring weapons and very few gadgets to have fun with. While the first and second areas were ok they were very short and what followed was crappy or nostalgia pandering rubbish. Also a Konami game with bad bosses is a sin.

Flower. For a game that was supposedly relaxing I felt I was fighting with the motion controls for the entire time with it. I didn't enjoy it at all and the environmental message was overwrought. It put me off trying Journey by the same studio for a while, but thankfully I did play it eventually. Now that game is the real deal!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

nesf wrote: »

I really didnt enjoy my first few hours either. I stuck it out though and found the second half of the game got much better. Once you unlock more of Talions abilities combat is more enjoyable too.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Batman: Arkham Origins. Buggy as hell on release for the PC port, dodgy combat mechanics and just very aggravating to play in general.

Bioshock I've tried a few times to play these games, but while I get the story is supposed to be amazing the overall gameplay itself really put me off. I think I got about an hour and a half into Bioshock Infinite before I just stopped playing.

Far Cry 3 What a great big pile of meh this turned out to be. My OH loved it but I simply found myself getting annoyed with gameplay again, and subtly being forced into doing the main quest line as quickly as possible with the relentless bloody phone calls.

Dragon Age: Inquisition. Combat didn't annoy me, rather overall it was a bit boring. The story just meandered around the place and even after putting a good 50 hours into it felt like I was going nowhere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,703 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Cormac... wrote: »
    Bioshock Infinite, total rubbish IMHO

Would've been an interesting game if it had about 80% less shooting.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Dragon Age Inquisition : sad to say it but the combat was fcuking woeful in that game. The story was half decent and the world looked great but the combat, the combat was so soo bad.

The crafting was a pile of shyte too, and the multiplayer (they've fixed this now) had an always on mic that could not be turned off - so you're stuck listening to someones mum ask to do their homework and get increasingly agitated or the sniffle guy, sniff sniff sniff every two seconds because he's got a headcold, and then the complete and utter tosspot that plays one direction songs on repeat while playing a game through his speakers.. give me patience!

Anyway, i was slightly disappointed with Dragonage Inquisition, but it was a massive improvement over DA2.

I finished first area and when I need to do same **** over again in second area I realised that it is made to be bloated by **** to make it feel like a good value... Tried to get back in to it few days ago and couldnt.

One of my personal ones, that most of gamers around here will skin me alive for. Brothers: a tale of two sons. So over hyped and over rated. I am just glad I got it on sale. Its a pretty game, but it did not got my emotionally one bit and by the looks of it, it was supposed to get me on my knees and make me cry out my own liver.

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    Would've been an interesting game if it had about 80% less shooting.

Shooting was fun in first and second one. CODish shooting what ruined Infinity. Plasmids were just non needed and equipment was not even there. Guns were generic as possible could compared to two last games.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,433 ✭✭✭Josey Wales

Arkham Knight. It could have been amazing but the Batmobile scuppered that. The single worst gameplay addition to a series ever? Possibly.

Shadow of Mordor. I just could not get into it. Every time I'd turn a corner some bad guy would be waiting to kill me. He'd succeed and get stronger. Then I'd bump into him 2 minutes later and he'd kill me again. Then he'd get stronger. Then I'd bump into him again...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,006 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

No No Kuni. Yes it looked and sounded gorgeous but in terms of gameplay it was one of the worst Japanese RPGS. It had a crappy story and awful slow battle system. Apparently Japanese RPGS were dying and this was the last great one but it was terrible and the mainstream media went for good graphics while ignoring great games in the genre like shin Megami Tensei 4, Ys, atelier Ayesha and Etrian Odyssey 4 released the same year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭Spudman_20000

nesf wrote: »

Same for me. I think what annoyed me was enemies constantly respawning, and then getting swamped with enemies constantly. Felt like I wasn't making any progress or something.

• Assassins Creed 2 most boring game I have ever played
    Also Far cry 3 couldn't stomach it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

Far Cry 3 is definitely one I just couldn't get into.

+1 on Far Cry 3. I kind of see how it is a good game, but it just did not stuck with me. I think I am just a bit tired of all "to do list" type of games lately.

• Advertisement

Far cry 3 is a fantastic 10 hour game stretched thin over a 50 hour game.

Advertisement