Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kitten under the bonnet

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Knine

No if previous cats got run over then the same fate will likely happen to Cookie.

Keep him & the neighbour & her cats will just have to get used to him. We always had cats growing up & after the initial spats they got used to each other.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭taytobreath

definitely keep your cookie. as the poster above me just said it would likely meet the same fate as the other cats. Keep cookie for your own peace of mind and his safety and concentrate on familiarising your dog with him so you dont have to have cookie outdoors in the winter. It takes time and patience. But it will be worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,800 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

I know if it was me I'd probably keep him.. this thread showed up on the front page and now I'm all nostalgic :)

Back when I was a young teenager my mam's best friend arrived one evening with this gorgeous blue/grey cat (Russian Blue we reckoned) that she wanted my mam to mind a few days as she was heading away.
    Of course this was all a ploy to get mam used to the idea, as she (the friend) knew well I wouldn't give up kitty after a few days.. and she was right!

Sheba (named for the only thing she'd eat at the time) was a rescue and started off nervously looking around the kitchen for the night from a spot in front of the fridge but very quickly made herself at home/took over, and when we subsequently got a Rottweiler (and the subsequent pups and their offspring) she still ran the show... was very funny to watch 3 grown Rotts being made wait while her Ladyship helped herself to their water, or watching the 3 of them "back her up" while she ran off some interloper from her wall. On rare occasions though she' tolerate them giving her a lick or would sit up beside them for a nap.. poor dogs would think it was Christmas!

Bullied me as well of course. If I didn't get out of bed quick enough for her she'd start by trying to suffocate me :p by lying across my neck and if that failed would bite (and hold!) my cheek until I got the message!
    To balance that though she always met me at the front door after a long night shift. You'd hear this little bell coming from around the corner and she'd be ready to come in with me when I got to the door :)

Unfortunately in the end we had to let her go as she developed cancer, but as much as I loved the dogs as well, my Sheba was always my first love and I still wish I could have another little cat to keep me company - alas I'm living in a rented apartment and no pets allowed :(

Keep him OP :)

EDIT: Found a pic - ignore the 70s/80s carpet. Was acceptable in those days :p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

ok, here is my two cents worth.
    Im a new adopted by my 1st cat person.
    I live in the countryside, with very little traffic
    Does this justify my giving an opinion?!

Pros for Keeping Cookie
    - hes been rescued by you - he is happy and settling after his trauma
    - hes been accepted/adopted by the aggressive female cat next door
    - you love him already
    - Hes settled with you
    - if you have to go away your neighbour can feed Cookie (big +)
    - the butcher has had a bad record with cats being killed on road
    - will Cookie settle in a new place, after his bad start in life?
    - sounds like the butcher will have him as an outdoor cat - he might stray
    - you have a warm/safe shelter for him
    - your dog may accept him in time, but if not Cookie is still "home"

Pros for giving him to the butcher
    - The butcher wants a working cat
    - the butcher has children who would help Cookie settle
    - you have a dog that may not accept Cookie

I think you should keep Cookie!! You love him, he is settled, he is safe in the shed (at the very least) and is being fed. But then what do I know... I usually let my heart rule my head :o
    Let us know what you decide

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    I know if it was me I'd probably keep him.. this thread showed up on the front page and now I'm all nostalgic :)

Back when I was a young teenager my mam's best friend arrived one evening with this gorgeous blue/grey cat (Russian Blue we reckoned) that she wanted my mam to mind a few days as she was heading away.
    Of course this was all a ploy to get mam used to the idea, as she (the friend) knew well I wouldn't give up kitty after a few days.. and she was right!

Sheba (named for the only thing she'd eat at the time) was a rescue and started off nervously looking around the kitchen for the night from a spot in front of the fridge but very quickly made herself at home/took over, and when we subsequently got a Rottweiler (and the subsequent pups and their offspring) she still ran the show... was very funny to watch 3 grown Rotts being made wait while her Ladyship helped herself to their water, or watching the 3 of them "back her up" while she ran off some interloper from her wall. On rare occasions though she' tolerate them giving her a lick or would sit up beside them for a nap.. poor dogs would think it was Christmas!

Bullied me as well of course. If I didn't get out of bed quick enough for her she'd start by trying to suffocate me :p by lying across my neck and if that failed would bite (and hold!) my cheek until I got the message!
    To balance that though she always met me at the front door after a long night shift. You'd hear this little bell coming from around the corner and she'd be ready to come in with me when I got to the door :)

Unfortunately in the end we had to let her go as she developed cancer, but as much as I loved the dogs as well, my Sheba was always my first love and I still wish I could have another little cat to keep me company - alas I'm living in a rented apartment and no pets allowed :(

What a wonderful post.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

And what a stunning cat. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 415 ✭✭FelineOverLord

Keep her, you know you want to:D A happy safe life with you is a lot better than a short outdoor life with someone else. I know some people want a farm cat and there's no shortage of people doing TNR who'd love to find a farm home for their ferals, although I don't think you'd find any that would rehome any cats to a place where the cats get killed on the road. Puss is settling in nicely by the sound of it.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭Carry

_Kaiser_ wrote: »

Ah, ye devious basterd ;) Are you out to break my heart? Those cats can control humans (or me) as never a man could :D

As can my dog, who wakes me up every morning and if I don't comply she pulls the duvet off my bed.

Then I have to feed her first, then go out in my pjs (countryside, mind) to feed and cuddle the kitten then let the dog out for her toilet duties and then and only then I can have my coffee, a shower and get dressed.
    And then there is work, of course, that is, earning the money to feed the animals. As if they ever appreciate it ...:rolleyes:

Sheba is the best name for a cat. Not because of the food brand but because the ancient Queen of Sheba was a woman (and all cats have a female quality), who managed to turn up as a strong and manipulative woman in all religious legends. Aren't they just queens, the felines?

And sorry that you lost her. I didn't know that even cats get cancer.

And thanks for encouragement with the dogs.
    aonb wrote: »
    ok, here is my two cents worth.
    Im a new adopted by my 1st cat person.
    I live in the countryside, with very little traffic
    Does this justify my giving an opinion?!

Pros for Keeping Cookie
    - hes been rescued by you - he is happy and settling after his trauma
    - hes been accepted/adopted by the aggressive female cat next door
    - you love him already
    - Hes settled with you
    - if you have to go away your neighbour can feed Cookie (big +)
    - the butcher has had a bad record with cats being killed on road
    - will Cookie settle in a new place, after his bad start in life?
    - sounds like the butcher will have him as an outdoor cat - he might stray
    - you have a warm/safe shelter for him
    - your dog may accept him in time, but if not Cookie is still "home"

Pros for giving him to the butcher
    - The butcher wants a working cat
    - the butcher has children who would help Cookie settle
    - you have a dog that may not accept Cookie

I think you should keep Cookie!! You love him, he is settled, he is safe in the shed (at the very least) and is being fed. But then what do I know... I usually let my heart rule my head :o
    Let us know what you decide

aonb, you are devious with your pro & contra list as well ... pulling my heartstrings (grump, grump, grin). And I so, so didn't want another pet! For once I wanted to be free of any new responsibility, apart from my dog, and I'm awfully responsible once I set my heart upon it.

But as with yourself my heart decided before my sensible mind could catch up.

I think the very nice and kind-hearted butcher isn't it.
    Féic, Cookie stays :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

\o/

• Registered Users Posts: 37,297 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Carry wrote: »
    Discussing it with my neighbour (the one with already two cats)
    I'm wondering if the neighbours cats are both neutered?

=-=

As someone has said, have the dog associate the kitten being nearby with getting a treat, and the two may get on.

• Advertisement

the_syco wrote: »
    I'm wondering if the neighbours cats are both neutered?

=-=

As someone has said, have the dog associate the kitten being nearby with getting a treat, and the two may get on.

The other cats are neutered alright, but that doesn't mean much when it comes to territory. They are literally cut off their sexual drive but not of their feline, territorial and predator instincts.
    But since today I'm optimistic.

Treats for the dog: My doggie is old and overweight (I always gave in :o which is not a good thing) and now on a strict diet, meaning no treats and no exceptions.

But looking back she always resented any other creature (humans and other dogs) who came near the house. It's her job to be alert and watchful and to drive anyone away. It's a good thing in the countryside.

But once she learns that visiting dogs and humans are accepted by me, meaning, I invite humans and dogs into the house (though there is a friendly fight with other dogs about the prime place on the sofa :rolleyes:), she is fine.

So she might be fine with the kitten one day. Hopefully.
    But Cookie is still too little to check out a dog.

We'll see what happens.

It says a lot about me to ask about the kitten in this forum, meaning, deep down in my heart I wanted to keep him and I knew I would get assurance about it here.

I could have asked in AH - where I probably would have gotten a lot of kitten-and-butcher-jokes, or worse :D

Cats do tend to work out territorial issues, eventually.:D We have 4 who all have their favourite sleeping spaces in the house and it's really only our bed that's the main conflict zone. They wouldn't tolerate another cat in the garden but there are 3 cats in a house around the corner who spend a lot of time at the rear of our house and they pretty much ignore each other. We always know if there's a new cat in the area because ours are more tense and hover near the front and back gates to make sure they aren't thinking of moving in.:)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,279 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

So since no one else has requested yet... Moar pictures!

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭magicmushroom

Please keep Cookie!
    He loves you :)

And yes, more pictures please!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭jenn1984

After reading all the posts I definitely think you're making the right decision keeping Cookie. I think you'd end up regretting it if you gave him away. Enjoy your new kitten :)

Ah yes, kitten pictures! There are not enough of them in the wide wide world:D

I'll make more photos as soon as the weather gets better. It's wet and grey over here today. And I'm not taking pictures in my messy shed (:o) where Cookie is hiding anyway (who wants to be out in the rain?).

whoo hooooo a new boardsie kitty.

Here he comes! He is not easy to photograph, always on the go and very lively :)

How could you even consider giving him up!? He's adorable, and a real charmer too. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭magicmushroom

Oh my God he is ADORABLE!!

• Advertisement

What a gorgeous chap he is. I bet he's gonna be a big strong fella, judging by those paws.:D

What a gorgeous chap he is. I bet he's gonna be a big strong fella, judging by those paws.:D

Yeah, when I saw these paws I thought as much. He'll be a real Cookie MONSTER! :D

He is already growing fast, almost as big as the grown-up cats of my neighbour. And boy, does he eat!

Carry wrote: »
    Yeah, when I saw these paws I thought as much. He'll be a real Cookie MONSTER! :D

He is already growing fast, almost as big as the grown-up cats of my neighbour. And boy, does he eat!

They certainly put away the food at that age. It wouldn't do any harm to get some Parazole wormer from your vet for him. Kittens often have worms and that's make him very hungry too. He reminds me of the foster kitten we had a few years ago, the people who adopted her sent me a photo of her a year after they adopted her and I didn't recognise her at first, because she'd gotten so big. :D

They certainly put away the food at that age. It wouldn't do any harm to get some Parazole wormer from your vet for him. Kittens often have worms and that's make him very hungry too. He reminds me of the foster kitten we had a few years ago, the people who adopted her sent me a photo of her a year after they adopted her and I didn't recognise her at first, because she'd gotten so big. :D

Thanks FelineOverLord (what an apt name!), will do that.

Cookie reminded me by the way of my old cat (a big black and white one, too) who came with the house. The owner only wanted to sell it to someone who would look after the cat and was accepted by the cat.
    To say "no problem" would be an understatement - I think I bought the house because of the cat, at least she was a major buying point for me. And the cat came up to me at my very first viewing, cuddled up and so the sale was settled. Never mind the pitfalls of the house as such ... :rolleyes:

She is buried behind the house (no pictures, that was a time before I could afford a digital camera). Cookie looks like the second coming or so :D

The cookie monster cat is more monster than cookie by now :).
    He grew big and confident and very much in charge of the territory.

And yes, he is a charmer. He even managed to charm the paws off my dog!
    My dog is smitten with the cat, after much barking, hissing and staring contests. And the cat is fascinated by the dog and catty clever to know how to play my doggie.

Now the two of them are almost best buddies - the dog sniffing the cat with the usual doggy affection (it took some time until the cat understood his sniffing language), the cat rolling over and boxing playfully the dog on the head, the two of them do the catch-me-if-you-can-game (which the cat wins, of course), without hurting each other (I am still supervising).

Hell, the dog is even pining for the cat if he is not around :rolleyes:.

Lately the cat has this new idea of following me and the dog on our daily walks, if it's not raining. Pied piper anyone? It's me out on front, followed by my ever sniffing dog and behind her the cat. If the cat is not right behind us, the dog refuses to walk further: "I don't go anywhere without my cat".

It's only a question of time until the cat moves in. They are still a bit wary about the house which is the dog's place to defend, and the cat does respect it.

It's so fascinating how two animals of different races approach each other against all prejudices, how they learn and accept.

I wish humans could be like this.

Advertisement