Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The dreaded burpee

Options
  • 10-08-2015 5:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭

In a weekly class I do, we start the lesson with a variety of warm up exercises, push ups, star jumps and whatnot. One of the things is 10 burpees. When I first started, I could manage maybe 5 in the time allotted and be knacked for the next 2 rounds. I'm getting better (nearly did 10 once) but it occurred to me last week that I'm not really doing a 'proper' burpee -- I don't go all the way down. If I do do that, I tire a lot more quickly.

I asked the class leader and she said that "some people just can't do them" and really it's just to get the heart pumping. This smacked of laziness, but has a ring of truth to it, I suppose. Should I strive to do a 'proper' burpee and if I can only do a few to begin with, that's much better than building on bad form?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,394 ✭✭✭Transform

did this vid on them

in your specific case though it might be just that you lack the basic pressing strength you would get from being able to do a push up and ability to hold a tight midline.

take time to develop midline strength through hollow holds and work on press ups as explained here -

what your trainer said about some people just cant do them is pretty much BS but its certainly NOT a movement i would do with most clients as part of a warm up or ANY part of the workout if they cant display a good hollow position and a basic press up from a 24in box or similar height.

overall what you have there in your "warm up" is s**t soup training where the trainer is just throwing a bunch of stuff into a pot and hoping the class can do the stuff rather than doing something that 99% of people could get going on right away e.g here -

sorry mods but couldnt be arsed finding vids from someone else and then checking they're right for what im trying to explain so using ones ive done. hope thats ok

Advertisement