Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shoulder Raises Alternative?

Options
  • 10-08-2015 10:02am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,888 ✭✭✭

so basically i get shoulder clicking when i do them light or heavy weight, i dont go past shoulder level and my arms are almost parralel when i do them.

But when i try my elbows at 90 degrees like a right angle it works my traps more?
    Please any help would be greatly appreciated thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭Irishcrx

I've a similar problem with side raises , can only lift light weights as I have an issue with one of my upper delts so I do front raises and shoulder press instead.

There is a couple of anternitives , you just have to find the one's that will work for you.

Google 'Best shoulder lifts' or something similar , make a list and see what works and what won't. I'd continue to work the raises as well with low weights to build up the muscle there and overcome the injury though, just don't over stress it. I've noticed mine is slowly getting better after a couple of weeks on contuning light lifting on the muscle.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭cmyk

How much shoulder mobility work do you do (if any)?
    Do you have the same issues with overhead dumbbell and barbell pressing?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,554 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

It may not be an issue but anyway make sure you're doing at least as much pulling work as pushing work. Do some work on strengthening the rotator cuff as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭ADO

Had a similar issue with regards shoulder clicking. Turned out to be shoulder inpingement syndrome. Very uncomfortable. Go see a physio for a proper diagnosis and for exercises to improve shoulder mobility and proper treatment.

Personally I found that laying off front raises and largely focusing on my rear delts helped hugely with recovery.

But go see a physio regarding the clicking as it won't go away and will only get worse.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

I seem to remember reading that shoulder raises are a bad idea for most people.

Overhead pressing(military press) and plenty of upper back work should see you alright without ever needing to do a shoulder raise.

I've found my shoulder health was greatly improved by doing sets of inverted rows super settled with my military press.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,888 ✭✭✭9de5q7tsr8u2im

Sorry i meant side raises guess they're both the same :P so shoulder press/dumbell/rear delt raises all fine for maximum growth?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Sorry i meant side raises guess they're both the same :P so shoulder press/dumbell/rear delt raises all fine for maximum growth?

Rows and pull-ups for your back and military press for your shoulders. Done.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

Advertisement