Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Things You Don't See Anymore

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭ElvisChrist6

zcorpian88 wrote: »
    Lada Riva's, they were everywhere in the early 90s when I was a kid, they inspired some pretty funny jokes!

What's the difference between a Lada and a sheep?

It's marginally less embarrassing getting caught coming out the back of a sheep.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

My hair :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

LordSutch wrote: »
    The milk man - milk bottles left outside your front door!

Mark still delivers around Harold's Cross, and then collects money once a week on his moped. Tetra-Paks nowadays, because the milk bottles were discarded after reports of snails nesting in the bottles stored in the dairies…

White dog poo is less common because dogs don't regularly get bones to eat any more. But thankfully, dog poo is gradually getting less common anyway because it's the norm for people to carry doggy bags.

By the same token: many litter bins on streets (we used have two at the end of our street, two at the end of the next street - all four gone since privatised rubbish collection, because people were using them to dump household rubbish, so the City Council removed the service).

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 27 Teaks81

The coal man.

We still have a coal man.

I picked up someone hitchhiking last week. It'd been ages since I saw someone doing that. I used always do it, even in my early teens I used get a bus to within a few miles of the golf club and hitch a lift the last few miles....golf bag and all.

Kids walking to school. Do they all get lifts these days?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Robsweezie

Toys in the cereal box.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,867 ✭✭✭eternal

TheTorment wrote: »
    We still have a coal man.

I picked up someone hitchhiking last week. It'd been ages since I saw someone doing that. I used always do it, even in my early teens I used get a bus to within a few miles of the golf club and hitch a lift the last few miles....golf bag and all.

Kids walking to school. Do they all get lifts these days?

Lazy bastards won't walk anywhere. I honestly remember walking miles to school no matter how bad it was. I'm not being old man like but it is true, kids do not exercise half as much these days.

Hopscotch chalked on pavements and kids playing it. Skipping on pavements. Marbles ditto. Kids "playing out" generally. I blame the cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭phill106

Tv stations stopping broadcasting.
    The national anthem at the end of the broadcast.
    Slow sets in clubs, national anthem at the end of the night.
    Children getting a slap on the arse when bold.
    Fear of the wooden spoon!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,208 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Robsweezie wrote: »
    Toys in the cereal box.

In the brief time between toys being not allowed in the actual cereal bag, so they were put in the box, and toys disappearing altogether, the kids of the owner in our local (rural) shop used sneak the toys out of the boxes by carefully opening and resealing the bottoms of the packets.

• Advertisement

eternal wrote: »
    Lazy bastards won't walk anywhere. I honestly remember walking miles to school no matter how bad it was. I'm not being old man like but it is true, kids do not exercise half as much these days.

Proper segregated cycle network ftw.

Bikes too - when I got my first bike I was never off it. Got the bus to school at first, but soon started cycling, and there were flocks of kids on bikes heading for schools all over the city, and on country roads too. Made kids much more self-reliant.

Also: local shops, where you could walk to the shop, meet the neighbours and have a goss. Great for social networking of a real kind. Great for local money circulation - "we all take in each other's washing", as they say: money is paid to your neighbours, and they buy your services. Good for kids' manners too - I saw kids the other day talking quite impertinently to a man serving in Lidl; they wouldn't do it if he were a neighbour and knew their ma.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Robsweezie

looksee wrote: »
    In the brief time between toys being not allowed in the actual cereal bag, so they were put in the box, and toys disappearing altogether, the kids of the owner in our local (rural) shop used sneak the toys out of the boxes by carefully opening and resealing the bottoms of the packets.

finding two toys in the bag was something else :) all covered in rice krispie dust.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭Titzon Toast

Trasher's wearing Doc Martins, with Iron Maiden and Anthrax patches sewn onto denim waste coats worn over leather jackets.

• Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭SuperGrover

Telephone table in the hall. With a green velvet seat.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,285 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Telephone table in the hall. With a green velvet seat.

posh gits. we didnt even have a telephone in the house when i was growing up.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,285 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Dublin telephone numbers with only 6 digits.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

Nostalgia...you dont see good nostalgia like you used to in the old days.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭Ger Roe

Light beams dancing through the smoke haze at the pictures (cinema). You used to be able to follow different colours through the smog, down to the screen.

Nowdays the picture just magically appears at the front :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

I was going to add NAFF Jackets, but I saw someone wearing (what looked like a new one) recently enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭skittles8710

Umbro clothing. ..outside of the Ireland kit.
    Remember when umbro shorts were all the rage.

Ahhh Sliocht a h'Aon ..LC memories 2005.
    "Ca bhfuil mo dheinims dubha agus m'umbro top"

• Advertisement

Umbro clothing. ..outside of the Ireland kit.

I still have this, one of my fav jumpers that I wear round the gaff in winter or out playing football. Cost me a 5er on SportsDirect, some value out of it!

http://www.acasports.co.uk/images/products/full/umbro-repton-sweatshirt-navy.jpg

Posh Christophers you mean :P

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭CarrickMcJoe

People picking spuds, stacking hay bales.
    A piece of stick being used as a gun, homemade gigs.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Cilla Black.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭Paz-CCFC

House? You were lucky to live in a house. We used to live in one room, all 26 of us, no furniture, half the floor was missing, we were all huddled together in one corner for fear of falling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭galljga1

Paz-CCFC wrote: »
    House? You were lucky to live in a house. We used to live in one room, all 26 of us, no furniture, half the floor was missing, we were all huddled together in one corner for fear of falling.

Apu?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,379 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Dublin telephone numbers with only 6 digits.

My old man still does a big pause when listing out the number, pausing for the "new" number, and then rattling off the number he knows well.

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭skittles8710

kfallon wrote: »
    I still have this, one of my fav jumpers that I wear round the gaff in winter or out playing football. Cost me a 5er on SportsDirect, some value out of it!

http://www.acasports.co.uk/images/products/full/umbro-repton-sweatshirt-navy.jpg

Good stuff, fight the good fight! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 166 ✭✭Herpes Cineplex

White Dogsh1te.

Brilliant.:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭MonkeyTennis

People picking spuds, stacking hay bales.
    A piece of stick being used as a gun, homemade gigs.

Homemade gigs!

Do kids do that anymore?

Advertisement