Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Saudi Arabia may go broke before the US oil industry buckles

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

But doesnt Saudi Arabia practice Sharia Law?

I thought the Americans dont like terror groups that practice Sharia Law.

Oh but wait the Saudis have oil and they have deals with the Bush family thats ok so.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭LDN_Irish

A lot of shadenfreude from the nation that said no to divorce not too long ago and has had it's fair share of extremism and proscribed groups. I suppose we're reformed now so anyone who hasn't caught up can **** off and die in poverty.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,083 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

Ask people here how many items they bought which had 'made in Saudi Arabia' on it and they would struggle to think of anything apart from oil.
    Big difference between having industries and exporting products.

• Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Triangla

Could Saudi Arabia not just start buying up all the US shale oil and gas companies?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

LDN_Irish wrote: »
    A lot of shadenfreude from the nation that said no to divorce not too long ago and has had it's fair share of extremism and proscribed groups. I suppose we're reformed now so anyone who hasn't caught up can **** off and die in poverty.

we are nations united in religious governance...

slightly fewer beheadings here though.

• Advertisement

we are nations united in religious governance...

slightly fewer beheadings here though.

Oh yeah, we preferred to snap people's necks with a rope as late as the 50's. We've probably got members of this forum who can actually remember the last hanging so that's really not that long ago. I actually feel bad for the average Saudi Arab. Not too hard to brainwash people with religion when they haven't got much else going on, then a few at the top cream off the nation's wealth leaving little to go around at the bottom. You'd think Irish people could empathise with that a bit more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,050 ✭✭✭nokia69

Oh yeah, we preferred to snap people's necks with a rope as late as the 50's. We've probably got members of this forum who can actually remember the last hanging so that's really not that long ago. I actually feel bad for the average Saudi Arab. Not too hard to brainwash people with religion when they haven't got much else going on, then a few at the top cream off the nation's wealth leaving little to go around at the bottom. You'd think Irish people could empathise with that a bit more.

if the average saudi arab got the choice it would be far worse

they are not brainwashed, they know about and understand the alternatives but they are happy being as islamic as possible

the type of crimes that carry the death penalty in the islamic world is a lot wider than Ireland ever had, to claim that we were the same back in the 50s is bull****

nokia69 wrote: »
    1: if the average saudi arab got the choice it would be far worse

2 :they are not brainwashed, they know about and understand the alternatives but they are happy being as islamic as possible

3: the type of crimes that carry the death penalty in the islamic world is a lot wider than Ireland ever had, to claim that we were the same back in the 50s is bull****

1: No doubt.

2: Go watch a video of a Saudi education. Making children spend years rocking back and forth word for word memorising the Quran is brainwashing.

3: I'm not saying it's the same. I'm saying that countries don't mature at identical rates and what goes on in SA and the Middle East is very, very similar to what went on in Ireland and Europe in centuries past.

There's no reason to think SA and the other basketcase countries won't get there eventually. I'd say if you told someone in Ireland in the 1700's that people wouldn't believe in witchcraft in a few hundred years they'd have laughed at you.

Edit: I added numbers to your post because I can't multi quote on a phone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,363 ✭✭✭KingBrian2

1: No doubt.

2: Go watch a video of a Saudi education. Making children spend years rocking back and forth word for word memorising the Quran is brainwashing.

3: I'm not saying it's the same. I'm saying that countries don't mature at identical rates and what goes on in SA and the Middle East is very, very similar to what went on in Ireland and Europe in centuries past.

There's no reason to think SA and the other basketcase countries won't get there eventually. I'd say if you told someone in Ireland in the 1700's that people wouldn't believe in witchcraft in a few hundred years they'd have laughed at you.

Edit: I added numbers to your post because I can't multi quote on a phone.

What is happening in Saudi Arabia is unnatural as the West is unnecessarily intruding itself into another region's culture. The democratic process would have occurred differently if NATO had left alone meddling in secular Arab states. The Arab spring did not topple the monarchy in Jeddah, not all Arabs are like the Saudi's.

Advertisement