Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

weight training that's easy on joints

Options
  • 09-08-2015 9:14am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭

Female in her 40s here. I started weight training using adjustable dumbbells about 5 months ago and have been progressing most weeks. However I think I've been overdoing it as was doing alternating upper/lower sessions over 6 days(don't have more than 40 minutes to work out any day so not enough time for 3 full body routines ). I've been doing 4 sets of 12 and all compound exercises.
    Dawned on me that i have a sore knee and elbow pretty much all the time so reluctantly decided to cut back to 4 days a week. I hate the thought of reducing though so wondered if any benefit to doing some less intense stuff on days 5 and 6 eg do upper body routine using 50% weight (and maybe circuits?) on day 5 ditto for lower body on day 6. Or is this a total waste of time and should I just take the 2 extra rest days each week to give my soft tissue time to catch up? I don't want to substitute with cardio but hate not doing any kind of a workout.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Did you learn how to do the weights that you're doing properly? Bad form could be your problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭siochain

Hi did I get it right in that you do upper body 3 days and lower 3 days ? Is it the same routine in each upper / lower sessions?

Can you post up you plan and your goals?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭seefin

Hi learned from YouTube clips. I've been reading and oldies like myself can have issues with soft tissue. I do upper 3 days and lower 3 days so 6 overall. Excluding warmup sets I do 4 sets of 12 reps for chest press, shoulder raise, one arm row, dumbbell raises, shrugs (doing these to balance push exercise).also pushups. Lower days I do single leg weighted glute bridge, deadlift or squat and 10 minutes planks(front and side). Im just worried not giving myself enough rest days which could impede progress. I don't want 3 100% rest days though so was thinking circuits with lighter weights on 2 of the 'rest' days?

Sounds like you're doing a very large number of total reps. Regardless of weight, maybe all that repetitive motion is aggravating your joints? You could try heavier weights for shorter sets? Would save you time, too.

You also seem like you're over doing it. Take 100% rest days. Why wouldn't you?

I think my logic for 6 days training was that 3 full body workouts are recommended for beginner. Ill try 4 days for a month and see if suits me better. It just seems wrong reducing amd. I'm afraid that my body will see it as a lack of progression and not build muscle!! Re lower reps, I though these were even more exertful as lifting heavier weights? Also want to build some muscle and though 8-12 reps was recommended.

• Advertisement

I think my logic for 6 days training was that 3 full body workouts are recommended for beginner. Ill try 4 days for a month and see if suits me better. It just seems wrong reducing amd. I'm afraid that my body will see it as a lack of progression and not build muscle!! Re lower reps, I though these were even more exertful as lifting heavier weights? Also want to build some muscle and though 8-12 reps was recommended.

seefin wrote: »
    Re lower reps, I though these were even more exertful as lifting heavier weights?

People can severely damage their wrists from typing too much, so you by no means need to be exerting a heavy weight to do joint damage. High repetition can be harmful too. A heavier weight will let you get a better workout with less repetition. I'm not saying it will help but it's an idea.
    Also want to build some muscle and though 8-12 reps was recommended.

There is no magic number. Some people swear by doing heavy sets of 4-6. The Stronglifts workout is based on 5 sets of 5, for example. Lift heavier and you'll probably find yourself really wanting those rest days.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,394 ✭✭✭Transform

your recovery hasnt increased as the weights you've brought up have increased.

train 4 days and on the other days do more mobility work -foam rolling, stretching etc and/or straight up light cardio

Hmmm I might try 8 reps and see how they feels. So definitely no benefit on doing lighter weights workout on rest days? Ive eliminated all cardio except for 90mins walking dogs each day and to be honest Im not used to not exercising for 6 or 7 days each week. Yikes I sound like an addict- if it walks like a duck etc etc ???

• Registered Users Posts: 6,394 ✭✭✭Transform

Hmmm I might try 8 reps and see how they feels. So definitely no benefit on doing lighter weights workout on rest days? Ive eliminated all cardio except for 90mins walking dogs each day and to be honest Im not used to not exercising for 6 or 7 days each week. Yikes I sound like an addict- if it walks like a duck etc etc ???
    yes absolutely do some light work with basic body weight movements on your lighter days no harm in that at all and a chance to drop in some gymnastics movements if you wish as would broaden your exercise base quite a bit

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,856 ✭✭✭Valmont

I found squats were hurting my knees slightly and I realised that my hip flexibility was so minimal I couldn't squat down and extend my knees outward at the same time. I also found that my elbows were hurting after benching and realised my hand position was all wrong. In addition to telling you that you shouldn't do what I did and just start lifting like an eejit all over the place without instruction, I think mobility work is really important to make sure your body can comfortably cover the weight-lifting motions in the first place. Chances are if you have trouble squatting with good form without weight then you'll hurt yourself with weight. Just my two amateurish cents.

Hmmm hasn't even thought of bodyweight exercises. I could also do my pushups on that day rather than on upper body days. And I can do a bit more yoga and foam rolling- saw a few videos gor this on your site, transform. I guess I need to look at long term and realistically I couldnt have maintained lifting 6 days without collapsing. Im also going to arrange a session with a decent personal trainer in cork soon to make sure my form is ok
    Thanks for all the suggestions.

Advertisement