Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Experience of Stronglifts

Options
  • 08-08-2015 6:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Back from holidays and a rather long period of inactivity from gym.

Really want to change it up in the gym, and Stronglifts programme looks like something that appeals to me.

What have been people's experience with Stronglifts?

My diet is not bad - as I know in order to see any results from a particular programme, you need to be on top of things in the kitchen - but, for example, do people do cardio on their days off from Stronglifts?

Cheers folks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

I'm thinking of starting too. I found this, it looks helpful: https://www.reddit.com/r/Fitness/comments/25fwnd/my_top_12_tips_for_stronglifts/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭thegreatiam

Strong lifts is a good beginner program if what you want is to get stronger.
    it's only 5 moves but works almost every body part.
    Critics say it starts too slowly and lacks arm work so many beginners feel the need to add in curls or load up too much weight early on.
    Cardio is a fine addition, either do it on off days or do it the same day but after the main workout. 20 mins of jogging is more than sufficient just be aware of how it affects your ability to recover

You'll start off very slowly and it will take around 30-40 mins in the gym, so it can be very tempting to add in more exercises. but you increase weight very quickly and even with no additions a workout can take 90 mins and leave you exhausted.

The author recommends not to add in more work, but if you do then that should be the first thing to go when you are unable to recover as well, assistance work should never take precedence over the main lifts.

Personally I think its best to stay with the program because by the time assistance lifts get to a significant weight to make a difference they interfere with progression.

There is lots of information out there for this program and more if you search "starting strength", that is a more well-written source for a similar strength program.

If strength is not your sole goal then search Ice cream fitness 5x5, this is another similar program with bodybuilding aesthetics written in.

Personally I think the best approach is to perform starting strength until you plateau at least on the bench and OHP regardless of your goal as this will give you a good level of base strength to lift more weight in an aesthetic program.

just remember that these programs are for strength not aesthetics. so if your goal is six-pack abs and biceps then you will want to move on very quickly. if you don't care about those things but want a strong back, legs and core but with a likely bit of belly fat then keep going until you can't break a plateau and move to a more periodic program

• Registered Users Posts: 36,131 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Great place to start imo. Start really light and stick at it for six months or so through to completing linear progression and you'll be well set to do anything thereafter.

I would suggest starting each session by running through DeFranco's "Elite Eight" to build up your mobility. In terms of adding cardio, I wouldn't do anything on your off days though it will be tempting. Instead I would suggest adding in short sharp conditioning pieces after lifting. Stuff like 5 x 500m row with 1 min rest or creating simple metcons working in kettlebell swings, jump rope, etc. That will keep you ticking over nicely.

On a Sunday, etc if you really feel the urge to do more a long steady state low intensity piece like an hour's walk (or light jog depending on your fitness) a good thing to add.

Bear in mind that this will get tough after a few weeks. And you may want to drop conditioning pieces altogether as you spend longer in the gym and feel more fatigued on off days. That's okay. When you feel good, keep the conditioning, when you feel tired, leave it.

Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭Danye

LuckyLloyd wrote: »

I would suggest starting each session by running through DeFranco's "Elite Eight" to build up your mobility.

It's DeFranco's limber 11 now ; https://www.defrancostraining.com/joe-ds-qlimber-11q-flexibility-routine/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭chases0102

Great stuff here lads... Very informative.... Cheers!!

• Advertisement

pff, elite eight, limber 11. you guys are behind. we're up to tractile 21 now.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,553 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

#100DaysOfMobility

Is that a thing? Sounds like it is. Or was.

If not, you saw it here first.

Oh, and TM bishes.

101 days of mobility (c)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,553 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

You heard "days of mobility"

What was said: "dalmations"

Advertisement