Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What was your worst job and what happened?

Options
  • 08-08-2015 3:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

I lasted about a week and a half(not even sure how I managed that) working at a well known ****ty Dublin restaurant. The job was terrible, to put simply hell on earth,and trust me the place exists, one of the worst experiences of my life, it was the closest that I'd ever come to almost completely cracking up!Disrespectful managers and staff everyday, long hours with little or no breaks, sometimes even going 10 hours without a break, tiny kitchen with little or no space to move, all those terrible cleaning jobs, behind the grills, cookers, storeroom, trash,and so on, low salary, just above minimum wage, vicious language being directed at everyone regardless of the situation, being mistreated at an extreme level, slave labour to put simply, I had no idea these type of jobs existed in Ireland!

Surely someone can match that, or close to that? There must have been a time when you accidentally landed one of the worst jobs around?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 186 ✭✭darlenmol

Aluminium dipping plant a good few years ago. place was ran by scumbags and is still in operation. the graft was hard but the creeps in charge made it unbearable.

the place is right next door to where the Turkish workers had troubles with the power plant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

Food place, a few years back.

Regularly working 8+ hours before getting a break, finishing work at 6am and being due back in for midday, 14-16 hour shifts if someone called in sick, cleaning toilets, dirty needles thrown into the bins we had to empty (two people in my few years there were pricked by them), junkies in all the time, regular sexual harassment passed off as banter. Ended up being given a few slaps from my manager so walked out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

In contrast, I worked in a clothes shop when I was 16-18 and in college. Manager fit my shifts in around college, always let me do the bank holidays for the extra pay, gave discounts (massive ones!) to all of my family, regularly bought me lunch and smoothies, bought me a stunning set of jewelry for my debs and another set for my birthday, and we're still close 8 years on. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭keepkeyyellow

Well known Italian in south Dublin - lasted two weeks, manager kept showing me pictures of naked men on his phone, every single family member was a manager and every single person had a different way of doing things so no matter what I did it wrong, was subjected to hearing insane stories about the devil, never got paid but they always made sure I was fed.

Advertisement