Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ever been mislead with a job advertisement?

Options
  • 08-08-2015 3:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

I remember going for an interview once with a company advertising as Ace8 Media, office related job that fixed my qualifications, flexible hours, great salary and so on, literally lying on the phone and to my face!

Next day I went back after being chosen as the ideal candidate, found out that it was a door to door sales job working off commission, I was absolutely raging, can't believe that Irish companies can get away with these things!

Anything similar ever happen to you?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭fret_wimp2

All the time. Every job markets itself as the best job in the world.
    It works both ways though as every applicant markets themselves as the best candidate.

This is what interviews are for, its not just to see if they will hire you, its a two way street/two way interview. its also up to you to ask relevant questions to tease out the company culture/attitude, to find little details in the interviewer's answers that will give you a hint as to how the role will actually play out and what the company is really like.

I have turned down jobs based on the interviewers answers, body language and answers to questions I asked. Subversive behavior where they are obviously trying to hide something is a dead giveaway. e.g.

Me: "Im ok with working longer hours leading up to a deadline, as long as its mostly planned and arranged in advance. How much extra work outside of normal hours are required and is it usually planned."

Interviewer:" (shuffles in his seat, avoids eye contact, figits with pen) "Well, its the nature of the industry to require a little flexibility. we try to keep it to a minimum and we try to plan it as much as we can, although that isnt always possible."

In my head he has not answered the question, he has danced around the fact that they dont plan and i can expect plenty of unforeseen 12-14 hour days.
    Even if he was honest and said "we're not the best at planning right now and there are quite a few unforseen log days expected 2-3 weeks before and after any release", i would have seen that as an indication that they are aware of their problems, honest about them and working on them. instead along with avoiding the question, boarderline lying, they have also shown dishonesty just to get me in the door and hope i wont leave when it turns out to be a lemon of a job.

You should be doing the same in every interview. In your case, the job was so radically different from what was advertised that i can only assume you asked very few, if any questions about the role. Always remember, the interview is two ways, them interviewing you to see if you are good for the role and you interviewing them to see if you actually want the role.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

Alot of people have had issues with ace8 media http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057396232

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 389 ✭✭micromary

I hear ya!! Agencies are particularly bad at advertising false or misleading jobs just to get candidates in the door. Sad reflection of the industry.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,145 ✭✭✭dazberry

Years ago I remember going to an interview for a C programmer in the US, turned out to be a C type scripting language in Mexico. Turned down the second interview.

But I've been caught out loads of times, worryingly most have been over the last few years - hence I've found myself changing jobs a lot :(

[1994] C++/MFC job turned into a pure assembly language job
    [2011] C# role morphed into QA - left after 8 weeks
    [2012] "Leading edge C#" turned into VB.Net (1.1 era code)
    [2013] Backend C# turned into IPhone (XCode, iOS) development
    [2014] Backend C# Web API turned into development support (mix of VB.Net, C#, Javascript and SQL)

D.

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭SMJSF

Next day I went back after being chosen as the ideal candidate, found out that it was a door to door sales job working off commission, I was absolutely raging, can't believe that Irish companies can get away with these things!

Yes. I've been there. I've ended up turning up to two places for interviews, after stating "office position". And was door to door.
    One that pee"d me off the most was one at St. Stephens green, I think it was a third party company, for a well known orange round logo phone company selling alarms.
    They rung me 3 times after asking would I do it, and had relivant computer skills, to sell alarms on people's door steps.

Why on earth would I go hassling people in their own homes, selling something I don't have a clue or care about, waste mine and 10 minutes of the strangers time babbling, to get nothing from it!

And why others do it is a mystery to me!!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,678 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

Not quiet what the OP relates to, but showing up to a Job interview for role A but being then interviewed for a different role Z because it seemed I'd be the better fit.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Same as OP assumed it was an office job showed up and it was door to door sales. Walked out an said thanks for the interview.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Irish_man2015

micromary wrote: »
    I hear ya!! Agencies are particularly bad at advertising false or misleading jobs just to get candidates in the door. Sad reflection of the industry.
    It is actually very common in Dublin,I've been mislead more than once, I just don't understand blatant lying, surely there must be a way to report these jobs? I feel sorry for all of the people that have and continue to be mislead, particularly when they have a pretty decorated CV!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 jmccpc

So I worked for Ace8 Media for about 3 weeks last April/May. I was desperate for work at the time, so after spending a day out with one of their managers, who spent half the time giving out about his ex wife and looked every bit the disheveled salesman that you would see a parody of in TV/films, I took the job despite how bloody horrible the whole experience was. As I said, desperate.

They job was door-to-door despite ads and interviews talking about office sales and it was entirely based off commission, which wasn't mentioned in the initial interview or the ads for the job itself. What's worse is that you pay for your own transport, so you're not getting paid but you're expected to take buses or drive to whatever location they send you to. So you're spending more than you're making. Again, I was desperate.

In my first week I made a sale, which apparently meant I would get €100 commission. Same in my second week. By the third week I had seen none of the money I was owed and was so exhausted by the 9-6 workday going door-to-door in the sweltering heat and belting rain with nothing to show for it, I just said f*** this and bolted.

When I resigned, the office manager (who until this point was a very pleasant man) was unbelievably rude and couldn't get rid of me quick enough once he learned he wouldn't be getting any free labour out of me.

Over a year later and I still have never heard about the €200 they owe me.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,944 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Surely this company can be reported for this kind of behaviour!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

Yes, happened to me with a very well-known company.

I went through the whole interview process, they offered me the job. After they offered they told me that I won't be employed with them but with an agency that was never even mentioned before as a contractor. The role is advertised as permanent position. Also they promised me a salary that was quite meh but the agency then said they are going to pay me X per hour, leading to 2k less p/a than what the company originally "offered". After having a read through the Terms of agreement I turned them down because I would have been working as a contractor for approx. almost 50 hours per week without any paid holiday. All of that was never mentioned during the whole process and questions regarding that were dodged.
    Never again, I almost walked out of another interview because of the exact same behavior.

Advertisement