Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ace 8 media

Options
  • 12-03-2015 11:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

I recently applied for a job with ace 8 media which was advertised as Customer Care Assistant within the company.
    In the first meet and greet interview I was told it was a office job and that I would be dealing with high profile business helping them market their brand. I was also told it was a monday to Friday 9 to 5 type job. So when I was offered a second interview I accepted.

Just like the first I was told to dress business smart again. Upon arriving we were paired off in groups of two to one team leader. We were told that we would be shadowing them for the day.

It wasn't until it was time to follow the team leader that we actually discovered what the job entailed. We went with him to the luas (I assumed the office was elsewhere) while we were on it he turned around and informed us it was actually door to door sales. I was absolutely horrified to find out I had been lied to from the start. It was absolutely pissing rain and here we were off about to go knocking on peoples doors. (Keep in mind everyone there for this second interview was dressed in office type clothing not dressed for rain at all)

After trying to get a few people to answer the doors (none did) we went to lunch where he basically broke down the job.

He claimed in 8 months you could become manager and work in the office but up until that point you had to do door to door sales. Also with every stage you had to do an interview. It was also commission based. It was also Monday to Saturday with extremely long hours (mon- fri was 1030am to 8pm, Saturday was 1130am to 530pm) It was a lot of information to take on board.

He pulled us both aside and asked some questions and then offered the job. I pressed for more information and found out that they would only be hiring 3 people so after 2 weeks there was a massive possibility you wouldn't have a job. At this point he was extremely rude and unprofessional. I said I couldn't give an answer straight away as I needed to think about it. He got quiet aggressive and started to say cut the bull**** its a yes or no answer. To which I replied no. He then turned around and said well you know how to find your way back don't you...you can go now.

This has by far been the worst company I have ever had a interview with. They lied to people about what exactly the job entailed. They even lied online in the job description. The girl who I was with said she was told it was sales in an office. Big difference to being out in the field!
    There was no information about the company online and I wanted to write my experience to hopefully help people discover how bad they actually are and not to waste your time with them unless door to door is exactly what you want to do.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭rsl1976

Wow. Was supposed to interview with them this week but changed my mind after reading a thread here. That's just awful.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 jobseeker25

rsl1976 wrote: »
    Wow. Was supposed to interview with them this week but changed my mind after reading a thread here. That's just awful.

Yeah I had to post about it. I'm glad it helped you. I was absolutely livid to find how much they lied at no point did they mention door to door sales until we had to shadow them.

I know on irishjobs.ie you can report issues like this. I wonder if you can do it with recruitireland

rsl1976 wrote: »
    I know on irishjobs.ie you can report issues like this. I wonder if you can do it with recruitireland

Yeah I'm going to look into it cause it's not right advertising something entirely different to the job. Lead on a wild goose chase.

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭Oscorp

Logged back into my account for the first time in yonks just to back up everything Jobseeker25 has said in his OP.

Literally had an almost identical experience about two weeks ago with this mob. Unbelievable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18 Ceady

Thanks for this my Daughter has an interview with this company. The job description didn't sit right with me, "customer service and sales" this stands out as door to door as they don't have products or services of their own from their website.

A quick google search and here you go, thanks for taking the time to write this post, interview prep and interviews can be quite stressful but at least there is the possibility of a job at the end. This is not the type of company I would like my Daughter working for <snip>

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭maxwell smart

Love their website. i see they were invited to a conference in London!

And I quote:

London city is a popular destination for business professionals. The city has a strong mix of history with some beautifully ancient buildings and a vibrant modern culture and nightlife. It is home to 8.3 million people and thousands of businesses. Along with New York, London is considered one of the business capitals of the world.
    Ace8 Media reveal that the conference is designed to bring together like-minded business owners from across Europe as well as guest speakers from parts of Europe and USA. The event is expecting over 100 candidates.
    Ace8 Media report that the day will begin with arrival refreshments in the lavish Beech suite where attendees will get the opportunity to network. The day will be followed by several conferences by guest speakers, lunch and an afternoon seminar then finishing with a drinks reception.

Have you ever heard of such a thing....refreshments on arrival!

Seriously that website would set off alarm bells if I was looking for a job there

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭Oscorp

Ceady wrote: »
    ...VERY UNETHICAL

That's the crux of it. There's nothing wrong with door-to-door sales and I'm sure it takes a whole lot of confidence and skill to be really good at it. If Ace 8 Media were upfront about it then no issue., but their entire recruitment strategy is based on misleading jobseekers. Lies, lies, lies.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Reon

was meant to go there but i chickened out , wow i really do believe everything happens for a reason!

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Holben

I also had the ACE8 experience.

Following a bit of research I found a thread on boards.

<snip>

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭fermanagh_man

They simply don't tell people it's door2door sales at interview 1 as 99% of people wouldn't return for interview 2

It's take a certain type off person to do door2door sales

Would you walk around an estate in the pissing rain trying to get people to switch phone/energy provider for no basic salary?

I did it for 6months and gained some invaluable experience

But why not advertise for people to do door to door sales?

I came up to Dublin to interview for a "Junior Marketing Assistant" role.

It just seems a lot of people are having their time wasted due to a lack of transparency.

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭fermanagh_man

job specs and internal job titles mean nothing really

Roles aren't advertised door2door sales as people simply wouldn't apply

Marketing assistant, junior sales manager far more appealing and draws bigger pool off applicants

We'll just have to agree to disagree

Roles aren't advertised door2door sales as people simply wouldn't apply

Marketing assistant, junior sales manager far more appealing and draws bigger pool off applicants

The OP was still told at interview that it was an office based job. They were not told it was door to door until the day they started

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Kavs91

Got an Interview for these guys on Tuesday and its safe to say that I will pass.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 catn

Kavs91 wrote: »
    Got an Interview for these guys on Tuesday and its safe to say that I will pass.

I rang them today after reading these post and the girl clare that gave me the interview told me there is no offices it's door to door and in shopping centres so I told her no thanks I won't be turning up.they shouldn't get away with this

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Irishguy16

I recently applied for a job with ace 8 media which was advertised as Customer Care Assistant within the company.
    In the first meet and greet interview I was told it was a office job and that I would be dealing with high profile business helping them market their brand. I was also told it was a monday to Friday 9 to 5 type job. So when I was offered a second interview I accepted.

Just like the first I was told to dress business smart again. Upon arriving we were paired off in groups of two to one team leader. We were told that we would be shadowing them for the day.

It wasn't until it was time to follow the team leader that we actually discovered what the job entailed. We went with him to the luas (I assumed the office was elsewhere) while we were on it he turned around and informed us it was actually door to door sales. I was absolutely horrified to find out I had been lied to from the start. It was absolutely pissing rain and here we were off about to go knocking on peoples doors. (Keep in mind everyone there for this second interview was dressed in office type clothing not dressed for rain at all)

After trying to get a few people to answer the doors (none did) we went to lunch where he basically broke down the job.

He claimed in 8 months you could become manager and work in the office but up until that point you had to do door to door sales. Also with every stage you had to do an interview. It was also commission based. It was also Monday to Saturday with extremely long hours (mon- fri was 1030am to 8pm, Saturday was 1130am to 530pm) It was a lot of information to take on board.

He pulled us both aside and asked some questions and then offered the job. I pressed for more information and found out that they would only be hiring 3 people so after 2 weeks there was a massive possibility you wouldn't have a job. At this point he was extremely rude and unprofessional. I said I couldn't give an answer straight away as I needed to think about it. He got quiet aggressive and started to say cut the bull**** its a yes or no answer. To which I replied no. He then turned around and said well you know how to find your way back don't you...you can go now.

This has by far been the worst company I have ever had a interview with. They lied to people about what exactly the job entailed. They even lied online in the job description. The girl who I was with said she was told it was sales in an office. Big difference to being out in the field!
    There was no information about the company online and I wanted to write my experience to hopefully help people discover how bad they actually are and not to waste your time with them unless door to door is exactly what you want to do.

I also had the exact same thing happen to me,advertisement on jobs.ie didn't specify that it was door to door sales,nor did the interviewer on the first day. He told me that it would be office related and fixed pay,comfortable hours,so of course I arrived on day 2.

My second day was a disaster.I came prepared,suited up to perfection,clean black shoes and looking for my office and files,but instead I was quickly told to go out to a housing estate,somewhere in Drimnagh,and observe one of the crew doing door to door sales for Airtricity. I was sickened to my stomach!

I followed the guy going around to the houses,he had told me that he was transferred from Poland because he was such a great seller. He then told me that it wasn't fixed pay,instead he was working off commission!

I walked off and didn't even look back!

I was raging,really wanted to cause an uproar,wasted two afternoons for nothing,while being mislead at an extreme level. I can't believe that I didn't fall for it straight away!

It's best to warn everyone about Ace8 Media. You would not think that such a popular job website jobs.ie would be allowed to post such misleading advertisements. I can't believe that any company could get away with such a thing!

• Registered Users Posts: 2 catn

Hi.i got this interview and I was excited about it.as the day went on I felt it was too good to be true.so I rang them before the interview and she told me it would be door to door sales and nothing else.so many people have fallen for this.they need to be stopped

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

I just got offered an interview for this company, and haven no idea when i applied. So i googled the company and this came up, which is fairly recent. So i will respond to the email with a simple 'no'. I will never do door to door sales.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭Burkie7

Thank god for this thread so other people won't be mislead.

I got a phone call for a interview with them with a woman called Claire acting really nice to me and then they sent me a e-mail to which I replied is it door to door sales commission only and I got no reply.

I knew straight away when I seeing the e-mail what it was after reading loads of pages on the door to door commission only thread on this site a few years back.

I can post the e-mail they sent if you like.

Utter garbage it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭Idjit

I'm really glad you've posted this. They invited me to interview a couple of weeks ago (I was under the impression by the job posting that it was a retail assistant job, in a store...it seems they have multiple variations of their misleading job ads).

The day before I was meant to interview with them, I had a weird feeling about it when I researched their other advertisements and found that they weren't what they seemed initially. I cancelled the interview in the end.

Their advertisements are spamming all the jobsites, so they obviously aren't recruiting enough people each time. Infuriating that you went through that OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Viking65

I received a message today that they wanted me to come in for an interview. Something told me that I should do a check on them and this post came up. Thank you so much for your info! You saved me hours of my time. :)

Looks like this thread could help save a lot of people time and money.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Irishguy16

Burkie7 wrote: »
    Looks like this thread could help save a lot of people time and money.

Most definetely, I'm still angered about what happened to me, and that was nearly 2 months ago

It's shocking how they can get away with misleading advertisements!

Just an update I'm sorry to the people who felt let down by this crowd but I'm glad I saved yous the time and money and effort of attending a interview.

I did contact recruitment Ireland and indeed jobs but I have seen no change to the job advertisements. I am going to take it further and hopefully get onto some government agency.

This crowd should not be allowed to get away with lying to people. It angers me so much. As it's hard enough to get a job without having to deal with crap like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭Idjit

Just an update I'm sorry to the people who felt let down by this crowd but I'm glad I saved yous the time and money and effort of attending a interview.

I did contact recruitment Ireland and indeed jobs but I have seen no change to the job advertisements. I am going to take it further and hopefully get onto some government agency.

This crowd should not be allowed to get away with lying to people. It angers me so much. As it's hard enough to get a job without having to deal with crap like this.

I saw another one of their job ads today and clicked on it to report it...it said they had removed it from the site. Small victory!

I notice the Ace8 Media Company has their jobs removed from the job sites but the are able to put them back up.

• Advertisement

I notice the Ace8 Media Company has their jobs removed from the job sites but then are able to put them back up as new posts, especially with RecruitIreland.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement