Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Q on Kettlebells

Options
  • 08-08-2015 2:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭

Hi....am sure KBs get asked about a lot. Searched, didn't see an answer to this question.

Want to do 2 days a week of general strength work and core. Presume dumbells would be best but space at home is an issue so was wondering if a kettle bell program alone would meet my goals?

Main sports is cycling. Currently doing mat pilates twice a week but have reached the limit of that. I can get dumbells if that'd the best option but as above space is a big issue as is kids sleeping so was just wondering if a range of kettlebells and outdoor exercise would be the better option.

Thanks for any replies and sorry for any rambling

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 44 summonerm

Kettle bell is one of the best cardio trainings.
    I trained it for 6 months and had lost several kilos, and improved my strength a lot.
    Due to laziness, I'm back to being fluffy again :)
    Anyway, I'd recommend it to anyone, but if possible, try to train while being under a trainer's supervision. If not performed correctly, you can damage your spine due to movements you make while exercising. After you grasp the technique, you're good enough to try it on your own.

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭Ryder

summonerm wrote: »
    Kettle bell is one of the best cardio trainings.
    I trained it for 6 months and had lost several kilos, and improved my strength a lot.
    Due to laziness, I'm back to being fluffy again :)
    Anyway, I'd recommend it to anyone, but if possible, try to train while being under a trainer's supervision. If not performed correctly, you can damage your spine due to movements you make while exercising. After you grasp the technique, you're good enough to try it on your own.

Thanks. Am pretty set for cardiology. Was wondering about them for overall conditioning......obviously weights are best but would kettlebells be an adequate substitute?

• Registered Users Posts: 44 summonerm

Ryder wrote: »
    Thanks. Am pretty set for cardiology. Was wondering about them for overall conditioning......obviously weights are best but would kettlebells be an adequate substitute?

Yeah, they increase your core strength and the ''explosive'' power. Moreover, by exercising with dumb bells you make your entire body work, unlike standard weights, where you train a group of muscles only. Regular kettle bell training lasts cca 45 minutes, twice a week, and you're completely exhausted after. From my experience, I had to stay for at least 1,5 hours in the gym, 3 times per week.
    Since you're a cyclist, I assume you don't need to be stiff but durable and flexible, what would make kettle bell a perfect training for you. But don't do it alone, for 2 reasons:
    1. As I've said, you have to be familiar with the correctness of the moves, not to risk damage to the spine;
    2. You cannot know which weight would be perfect for you until you try it. For example, I started with 2x4 kg and ended up with 2x16 kg in a month or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,547 ✭✭✭siochain

KB's will be a very good addition to your bike training. If you do decide on the KB's have someone who knows what the are talking about to show how to use them.

Thanks for all the replies.

Appreciate the need for instruction but realistically will never be able to make regular classes. Plan to take it very easy to begin and start with 16kg. Dvd/book and youtube.

Other option would be one on one some Saturday. Anyone recommend someone who would do that in South Dublin for a morning......go through a set of routines with form instruction?

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,672 ✭✭✭whippet

I did kettlebells 3 times a week for two years and it was incredible for conditioning and core strength .. however; be careful where you learn the basics and from who.

I trained under a SFG II trainer (www.strongfirst.com) and it was exceptional. Only a couple of basic techniques (double arm swing, single arm swing, snatch, military press, turkish getup, goblet squat) but when done properly give a great workout.

From the KB training I have moved on to powerlifting, but alway use the bells in the gym for a bit of cardio and warm-ups.

I do see plenty of people using them in the gym and the technique is terrible, weights totally unsuitable and even the very basic of neutral neck and spine for a swing missing. So .. please get proper instruction before attempting to do anything with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,394 ✭✭✭Transform

Thanks for all the replies.

Appreciate the need for instruction but realistically will never be able to make regular classes. Plan to take it very easy to begin and start with 16kg. Dvd/book and youtube.

Other option would be one on one some Saturday. Anyone recommend someone who would do that in South Dublin for a morning......go through a set of routines with form instruction?

Thanks
    loads of people here based in south dublin so get in touch with someone and on a side note most cyclists ive worked with have terrible mobility so please check how you stack up on these basic tests first -

kettebell is just a tool no different than a pull up bar or dumbbell is a tool so use a few different movements to make a complete program that addresses your mobility and strength

Transform wrote: »
    loads of people here based in south dublin so get in touch with someone and on a side note most cyclists ive worked with have terrible mobility so please check how you stack up on these basic tests first -

kettebell is just a tool no different than a pull up bar or dumbbell is a tool so use a few different movements to make a complete program that addresses your mobility and strength

Thanks. Saw that video.....and pretty terrible. Is that your gym? If so ill send you a pm about a class in September/ October. Appreciate all the info

• Registered Users Posts: 6,394 ✭✭✭Transform

Thanks. Saw that video.....and pretty terrible. Is that your gym? If so ill send you a pm about a class in September/ October. Appreciate all the info
    well get working on the foam rolling and stretches listed. You dont need 20 different stretches you just need to work on the areas that are a real issue

not my gym (i co-own a gym in kildare however - http://tpfa.ie/ )

im based out of crossfit green in sandyford and as mentioned there are plenty of other trainers out there and 10 gyms in sandyford so shop about if you need to before booking

......sadly has proved difficult with work and family schedules to find a class that suits.

In the longer term plan to get adjustable dumbells, powerblock 9, for home use but until then want to get kettlebells for an full body circuit.

What do people here use? Would a 16 and a 20kg be a reasonable start? What is the average number you would need for a decent home setup......would it just be better to hold on and get the dumbells? Plan is for a circuit of kb swing goblet squat turkish get up and renegade rows with pressups and some planks etc.

Thanks For any input

• Advertisement
Advertisement