Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moodley Meats

Options
  • 07-08-2015 11:58am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭

http://moodleymanor.com/moodleymeats

Anyone ordered from these guys or know anything about them?

They sound and look awesome. At the moment they have Burgers and Bacon....all vegan noms.

I just placed my first order.

:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Slaphead07

Zombienosh wrote: »
    http://moodleymanor.com/moodleymeats

Anyone ordered from these guys or know anything about them?

They sound and look awesome. At the moment they have Burgers and Bacon....all vegan noms.

I just placed my first order.

:)
    They're mentioned elsewhere and recently. They are good products but I'm not mad about the taste or textures - purely personal thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭zac8

Didn't like either product myself if I'm honest.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Yeah i get them all the time, I think they are amazing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭Zombienosh

Waiting on my first order to arrive, I'm so excited.

• Advertisement

Moodley meats just added Sausages to the website :D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

must try them out thanks!

Would want to be good, sausages are a flooded market with good ones. 38% protein nice!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,765 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Available in a few SuperValu branches now, might be worth asking if not available in your local one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 415 ✭✭FelineOverLord

I tried the burgers and the bacon and found them a bit sweet, which is odd for a meat substitute. Texture wise they're the closest I've come to a meat substitute. I'd probably buy again at some point, but they wouldn't be something I'd buy regularly. The sweet aftertaste was just a bit unpleasant for me. But it's great to see more vegan/veggie products coming on the market. I heard some Supervalue's are stocking their products now.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭Tabitharose

has anyone seen them in any of the Supervalu shops on the southside of Dublin please?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Slaphead07

has anyone seen them in any of the Supervalu shops on the southside of Dublin please?

No, and I've looked in a few. I think they, Moodley, should let us know really.

These are the only places they are so far I think
    http://moodleymanor.com/where-you-can-find-us

Kildare
    SuperValu Maynooth
    SuperValu Clane
    SuperValu Monasterevin
    SuperValu Sallins
    SuperValu Celbridge
    SuperValu Leixlip

Dongegal
    Simple Simons
    Waterford
    Blasta Wholefoods

Clare
    Meanwell Wholefoods

thanks for the listing Tar.Aldarion :) am hoping they'll show up in a nearby shop sometime soon, don't want to buy them online, as with the shipping they'd work out expensive enough if I don't like them, but I really want to try them :) ...

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭spiralbound

I saw on Facebook that the Hopsack in Rathmines and down to earth on George's street were getting them in on a trial basis. I had a look in Down to Earth last week but couldn't see any, maybe that's a good sign that they're popular?

I bought the burgers and rashers from supervalu in Maynooth - the burgers were great, the rashers were good but a bit sweet in flavour. Would definitely get the burgers again, and probably the rashers (they were a good addition to a mushroom and pea risotto!)

When i popped into down to earth I saw they had a pack of each different moodley meat at the back of the fridge with the moodleys business card, don't think they are on sale yet. I'll make sure to ask them next time, to show there is demand.

How do you guys cook the rasher? i never find them sweet, i do nuke them under the grill until they are blackening though, mmm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 415 ✭✭FelineOverLord

How do you guys cook the rasher? i never find them sweet, i do nuke them under the grill until they are blackening though, mmm.

I fried mine, maybe that was what made em sweet:D I tried the Quorn rashers and they aren't as nice as the Moodley ones. I'm kind of in 2 minds about the Moodley ones. I like the texture, the smell and the look of them, there was just a sweetness to them that seemed odd to me, but in a blt smothered in mayo and ketchup they were yummy.

try the grilling they go really crispy, it was how the chef told me they were best when he delivered them. Maybe it nukes the sweetness from them

I grill the rashers and fry the burgers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭sok2005

I like the sweetness of the rashers, it reminds me of Maple bacon. Beats Quorn hands down.

I do the bacon in the frying pan and the sausages in the air fryer, they come out perfect each time. The air fryer does a great job with cooking the sausages evenly, they come out golden from it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 47 IndigoBlue

On a side note, Nourish in Liffey Street are now stocking some Tofurky products (thanks to my persistent pestering!)
    Oven roasted Tofurky slices
    Hickory smoked slices
    Maple bacon tempeh slices
    Tomato & Basil Italian sausages.
    The slices are great for sandwiches etc, the Italian sausage is very spicy.
    They said the health shop in Nutgrove will be stocking these products too.

Moodley meats are now available in Down to Earth on Georges street, if anybody is in let us know how much they are.

Had the bacon in a creamy pasta last night, AMAZING.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭BMJD

I had the sausages as hot dogs yesterday, I wasn't mad about them tbh, they had an earthy, herby flavour. I prefer Dees, though the Moodley ones stay much more intact in the frying pan.

The burgers and bacon are great though!

vegi deli are way better than moodley, not gone on the sausages, too soft, no chew. Still cant get enough of the bacon though.

Moodley meats are now available in Down to Earth on Georges street, if anybody is in let us know how much they are.

picked up the burgers & the rashers, €4.60 each, haven't tried them yet :)

try the grilling they go really crispy,

made a BLT type roll for lunch today & made sure the rashers were really crispy (thanks for the advice) tasted pretty good :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭SueA

I find all these products are very expensive. Making your own seitan is so cheap and easy. The taste and texture is infinitely variable depending on what you add in to it at the dry and wet mix stages.

I can't remember if its 6 or 8 packs of Vital Gluten in a full box, but the full box is €20; this makes more than 6 months of high protein wheat meat replacements for one person.

Everyone will say Gluten- bad for you but, the reality is that Gluten is not bad for you if you are not Coeliac. Most people who have a reaction to bread, cakes etc have a reaction to the additives not the wheat or gluten.

made a BLT type roll for lunch today & made sure the rashers were really crispy (thanks for the advice) tasted pretty good :)
    Glad it worked out, we made it a vegan pasta bacon carbonara with a cashew cream sauce and vegan parmasan, it was amazing, great use of the bacon.
    SueA wrote: »
    I find all these products are very expensive. Making your own seitan is so cheap and easy. The taste and texture is infinitely variable depending on what you add in to it at the dry and wet mix stages.

I can't remember if its 6 or 8 packs of Vital Gluten in a full box, but the full box is €20; this makes more than 6 months of high protein wheat meat replacements for one person.

Everyone will say Gluten- bad for you but, the reality is that Gluten is not bad for you if you are not Coeliac. Most people who have a reaction to bread, cakes etc have a reaction to the additives not the wheat or gluten.
    It's expensive enough all right, just a trade off over being lazy and wanting to do other things vs money i guess. I made seitan once, a giant sausage of it, was quite nice.

I don't think they're that expensive really, they wouldn't be something i'd have all the time, but it is nice every now and again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Level 5 Vegan

Got the bacon out of Down to Earth yesterday, grilled them and thought they were nice enough. They're dear enough yeah €4.60 but I probably wouldn't buy any of this sort of stuff regularly anyway. Great lazy morning food.

Advertisement