Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hypertrophy program after stronglifts?

Options
  • 04-08-2015 9:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭

I've been doing stronglifts the past 6 months. Before doing it I was pretty weak and really skinny. I had a bad accident before and thus have a bad knee, building muscle up around the knee has helped me a lot, but the injury does hamper my progress. I've gone from 83kgs to 90kgs and have decreased my bf in the meantime. My progress has completly stopped the last 5-6 weeks. Im hardly making much if any progress. This has made me re evaluate my goals.

I'm looking to put on mass now rather than gain strength and so I should probably now change program. I also dont feel able for all the heavy squatting 3 times a week, its making me dread the gym.

Whats a good hypertrophy type program to do following stronglifts if my aim is get a more bodybuilder type look, rather than more strength gains? I know the importance of diet and have that sorted, but wondering what program would be best to do?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭Nate--IRL--

You could try GVT if you're feeling masochistic?

Nate

• Registered Users Posts: 6,394 ✭✭✭Transform

LG1234 wrote: »
    I've been doing stronglifts the past 6 months. Before doing it I was pretty weak and really skinny. I had a bad accident before and thus have a bad knee, building muscle up around the knee has helped me a lot, but the injury does hamper my progress. I've gone from 83kgs to 90kgs and have decreased my bf in the meantime. My progress has completly stopped the last 5-6 weeks. Im hardly making much if any progress. This has made me re evaluate my goals.

I'm looking to put on mass now rather than gain strength and so I should probably now change program. I also dont feel able for all the heavy squatting 3 times a week, its making me dread the gym.

Whats a good hypertrophy type program to do following stronglifts if my aim is get a more bodybuilder type look, rather than more strength gains? I know the importance of diet and have that sorted, but wondering what program would be best to do?
    why not have both -

strength movement first for 4-5 sets, assistance work and then volume work to finish ala a metcon or bodybuilding for small muscle groups. that how i structure things and works quite well

• Registered Users Posts: 5,856 ✭✭✭Valmont

My favourite part of stronglifts is that I get to squat every time I go the gym! The only problem is that I have disproportionately large legs now because I can't seem to progress with bench-presses, military-presses, or barbell rows (62.5/35/65). I'm tempted to blame poor form for the plateaus because I was stuck squatting 50kg until I started doing hip and leg stretches and 'grok squats' to get the squat right. Lo and behold my hips started moving properly and my squat started going up (well it's 77.5kg 5x5 at the moment).

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

Transform wrote: »
    why not have both -

strength movement first for 4-5 sets, assistance work and then volume work to finish ala a metcon or bodybuilding for small muscle groups. that how i structure things and works quite well

Shut up with your effective non sensationalist approach.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,131 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Transform wrote: »
    why not have both -

Yeah but you might have to think about how to approach each training session, adjust on the fly and not follow the one spreadsheet. Too much effort.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭Ekels

You could try GVT if you're feeling masochistic?

Nate

I'd really give consideration to GVT too as well. I've found it brilliant for overcoming plateaus.

The problem I've always found with some hypertrophy programs is that I don't strive to increase the weight and remain stagnant in terms of both weight and reps.

I found with a strict GVT program that I moved up the weights consistently due to the time under tension that certain body parts experienced week on week.

GVT and a caloric surplus from protein shakes with plenty extra foods thrown in worked wonders for me anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,394 ✭✭✭Transform

the best program is the one you're currently not on i..e a change in program coming off one followed strictly for 8-12 weeks is sometimes enough to push people on.

Programs matter very little if the person is looking to gain muscle yet consistently is not eating in a surplus, oh and tell the ladies in your work place you struggle to eat enough, watch them laugh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭hidinginthebush

You can try the PHAT programme (or the PHUL if you fancy 4 days a week rather than 5). Both have a upper and lower strength and volume day. I found the hypertrophy days a nice break after starting strength, but liked that you also got to keep up with the big lifts on the strength days.

Another option is the allpros routine. I did this for about 8 months after starting strength. It's nice that there's a pretty clear progression, and is easy to follow. But I got sick of the sight of barbells so moved onto PHUL. It's also a bigstep in volume after SS, so be sure to deload a bit before hopping into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,553 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

But I got sick of the sight of barbells

WHY DON'T YOU GO BACK TO YOUR HOME ON WHORE ISLAND!

Advertisement