Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Learning to farm

Options
  • 03-08-2015 9:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭

Hi all,
    I grow some veggies on raised bed and keep couple of hens atm, but the plan is to buy a house with 2 or 3 acres in 3 years time (part of a bigger plan for our family). Now, to be able to utilize this land properly, I know I need more practice and definitely more theory. I am now considering 2 options:
    1. Distance learning course from organic college in limerick + growing in my back garden/ allotment.
    2. Trying to get a job at one of the local organic farms one day a week (can't do more due to full time job)
    I wonder what people like you think if the best, most succesfull route to your own smallholding. Or in other words: if you were to start again with just very basic knowledge and experience, what would you do?
    Thanks and I'm looking forward to hearing your opinions!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭kerryjack

tsuzmir wrote: »
    Hi all,
    I grow some veggies on raised bed and keep couple of hens atm, but the plan is to buy a house with 2 or 3 acres in 3 years time (part of a bigger plan for our family). Now, to be able to utilize this land properly, I know I need more practice and definitely more theory. I am now considering 2 options:
    1. Distance learning course from organic college in limerick + growing in my back garden/ allotment.
    2. Trying to get a job at one of the local organic farms one day a week (can't do more due to full time job)
    I wonder what people like you think if the best, most succesfull route to your own smallholding. Or in other words: if you were to start again with just very basic knowledge and experience, what would you do?
    Thanks and I'm looking forward to hearing your opinions!
    Sounds like your doing a bit all ready if you can look after a few hens you will be able to look after a few other animals are you going in to market gardening or just for yourselves if its the latter you can learn as you go along mistakes will be made and you will learn from them going in volunteering to an organic farm they will probably put you weeding and you will learn nothing I say get stuck in and see how you get on

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,634 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

Fair play to you for getting involved - it will probably change your life!

Keep an eye on this forum and the other farming ones. The posters here are probably the most helpful I've ever come across, so feel free to ask any type of question (I might even try to answer myself)

There's plenty reading material on the Teagasc website too: http://www.teagasc.ie

Good luck :-)

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

Advertisement