Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Just looking for short-term (no-skill required) jobs

Options
  • 02-08-2015 10:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 25

I don't have very much experience with paid work. I'm in my mid-twenties and have had two paid jobs of a collective few months duration.

I absolutely refuse to dedicate the following months/years to a FÁS course or other trained courses. I've had bad experiences with these courses already and will not return under any circumstances.

Right now, I would happily sacrifice my hours to do menial labor or computer administrative jobs. I'd work jobs without special skill or previous qualifications. So long as there's common respect, I'd work these jobs without qualms.

The thing is; I'm not quite sure how to find these jobs. Or even if it's common practice to hire anybody without skill/other stuff I don't understand. I'm asking here for how to go about looking for these jobs. Reading the papers? If so, what paper? Searching websites? What sites?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Have you any computer skills? Can you touch type?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 temp.account

Stheno wrote: »
    Have you any computer skills? Can you touch type?

Yes I can touch type.
    I tested my type speed about a week ago and the result was around 60WPM.
    It may take some time (one or two days) to get acquainted with new keyboards, because, you know, I'm familiar with just this one.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Yes I can touch type.
    I tested my type speed about a week ago and the result was around 60WPM.
    It may take some time (one or two days) to get acquainted with new keyboards, because, you know, I'm familiar with just this one.

That speed is below the minimum for most admin jobs (70/75wpm plus)

Have you tried checking out local shops and shopping centres for them looking for staff?

GIven you don't want to do a course, is a college degree out of the question?
    Or is there any particular area you'd like to work in or can see yourself enjoying?

That speed is below the minimum for most admin jobs (70/75wpm plus)
    Damn, just short. I could probably work at it. It's not like I'm actively trying to really get speedy with it.
    Have you tried checking out local shops and shopping centres for them looking for staff?
    Yeah, it feels like I've looked everywhere. I live a few kilometers (6km) from the nearest town, and have sent in my CV to 30+ business'. I've been told by others that that is no way to get any job, as CVs just pile up. You need to actually speak to the manager or whoever runs the place and ask directly. But that's bull****, because most of the time I have no skills, or even real interest in working there. I'm all burnt out with asking for a job in locations where I won't be respected, and have no interest being there at all. I'm searching for a job that will provide me with some money so I can live, without demanding my self-respect. There's so few places like that. I can look at most business' and they all ask for me to put myself second to them.
    GIven you don't want to do a course, is a college degree out of the question?
    I have a college degree but it's not worth mentioning because I never had any intention on perusing a career in that particular field. You might ask as to why I did the course then, but it's a long and complicated story that is not relevant to what we're talking about here. I also have one FÁS degree from a one-year thing I did, but again, not anything I want to pursue.
    Or is there any particular area you'd like to work in or can see yourself enjoying?
    I would work any job which I felt was ethical, treats me with respect and lets me hold my dignity. Right now, I'd happily walk into town each day and paint walls, move furniture, do some meticulous typing-work -- jobs that don't demand all that much from me socially, mentally, you know.

Damn, just short. I could probably work at it. It's not like I'm actively trying to really get speedy with it.

Yeah, it feels like I've looked everywhere. I live a few kilometers (6km) from the nearest town, and have sent in my CV to 30+ business'. I've been told by others that that is no way to get any job, as CVs just pile up. You need to actually speak to the manager or whoever runs the place and ask directly. But that's bull****, because most of the time I have no skills, or even real interest in working there. I'm all burnt out with asking for a job in locations where I won't be respected, and have no interest being there at all. I'm searching for a job that will provide me with some money so I can live, without demanding my self-respect. There's so few places like that. I can look at most business' and they all ask for me to put myself second to them.

I have a college degree but it's not worth mentioning because I never had any intention on perusing a career in that particular field. You might ask as to why I did the course then, but it's a long and complicated story that is not relevant to what we're talking about here. I also have one FÁS degree from a one-year thing I did, but again, not anything I want to pursue.

I would work any job which I felt was ethical, treats me with respect and lets me hold my dignity. Right now, I'd happily walk into town each day and paint walls, move furniture, do some meticulous typing-work -- jobs that don't demand all that much from me socially, mentally, you know.

Eh no offence, but that entire post comes across as you don't really want to work anywhere, but want to find something that will sustain a lifestyle for you without you making any effort whatsoever to keep a job.

I'd have a rethink in attitude if I were you. Maybe start by volunteering somewhere to get some sense of pride in what you do, and how you contribute.

Personally given what you've written above, as an employer, I'd have no interest in hiring you.

• Advertisement

Eh no offence, but that entire post comes across as you don't really want to work anywhere, but want to find something that will sustain a lifestyle for you without you making any effort whatsoever to keep a job.

I'd have a rethink in attitude if I were you. Maybe start by volunteering somewhere to get some sense of pride in what you do, and how you contribute.

Personally given what you've written above, as an employer, I'd have no interest in hiring you.

I have hands and I'm willing to work. Of course I'll make the "effort" to keep a job.

I have done volunteer work and know what it means to appreciate what you're doing.

No need to get nasty. I don't have an "attitude" problem. People always fall to saying that when they don't want to work de-humanizing professions.

This dialogue was going good, but now you've chosen to give up and put blame and shame on me. But I've said nothing wrong. I have given limited options, but not so limited. If the answer were obvious, I wouldn't need to ask on boards.ie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

Keep volunteering for the meantime if you can, as it will look better when applying and interviewing for jobs.

Try the jobs websites (jobs.ie and jobsireland are the two best imo) - there is a good mix of min wage to higher paid jobs on them.

Maybe a ask a local pub could you get some bar experience? Bar work is a good skill and something which would probably give you some self respect and confidence if you got work in it.

I have hands and I'm willing to work. Of course I'll make the "effort" to keep a job.

I have done volunteer work and know what it means to appreciate what you're doing.

No need to get nasty. I don't have an "attitude" problem. People always fall to saying that when they don't want to work de-humanizing professions.

This dialogue was going good, but now you've chosen to give up and put blame and shame on me. But I've said nothing wrong. I have given limited options, but not so limited. If the answer were obvious, I wouldn't need to ask on boards.ie.
    Right I'll bite one more time.

If you get a manual job packing stuff in a factory Monday to Friday 9-5 and there's a big deadline, would you be willing to work a few hours overtime on Friday to 8pm to help them fulfill an order?

Or would you be saying, "sorry, I'm contracted 9-5, I need to finish at five?"

There are plenty of jobs out there, you need to make sure you contact the hiring manager as opposed to blindly sending out c.v.s

You also need to be aware of zero hours contracts and the need to be flexible.

I'm still interested in the answer to my question above.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

McDonalds?

the_syco wrote: »
    McDonalds?

probably "dehumanizing"? Having to wear a uniform, follow a script, work varied hours set by an employer, undignified, requires mental skills like soft skills/though, no ethics etc?

• Advertisement

probably "dehumanizing"? Having to wear a uniform, follow a script, work varied hours set by an employer, undignified, requires mental skills like soft skills/though, no ethics etc?
    When I did work there, the hours would fit around my college. The uniform kept my normal clothes clean, and although you follow a routine with most of the tasks, time tended to fly as you'd be kept busy. Mutual respect from colleagues and manager. Unless you are a good looking woman, or there's not much staff on, you probably won't be put on the tills, and thus won't have to deal with the general public directly.

Finally, if you do the time, and like the work, I think McDonalds will sponsor/help you do official management course.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,999 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

When I did work there, the hours would fit around my college. The uniform kept my normal clothes clean, and although you follow a routine with most of the tasks, time tended to fly as you'd be kept busy. Mutual respect from colleagues and manager. Unless you are a good looking woman, or there's not much staff on, you probably won't be put on the tills, and thus won't have to deal with the general public directly.

Finally, if you do the time, and like the work, I think McDonalds will sponsor/help you do official management course.

I think Stheno was possibly being facetious.

I haven't worked for them but I have heard they look after their staff well enough alright.

I think Stheno was possibly being facetious.
    I assumed they were taking the piss out of the OP's disinterest in up-training :D

Yes they do I also worked there years ago and several of the managers had worked their way up

K4t wrote: »
    Keep volunteering for the meantime if you can, as it will look better when applying and interviewing for jobs.

Try the jobs websites (jobs.ie and jobsireland are the two best imo) - there is a good mix of min wage to higher paid jobs on them.

Maybe a ask a local pub could you get some bar experience? Bar work is a good skill and something which would probably give you some self respect and confidence if you got work in it.

I have a real problem with drinking though. Several people (my father included) are alcoholics. Drinking swallowed all my friends away. I also don't drink because I don't get any fun or enjoyment from it. To each their own, but I won't be supporting it (even if I get paid/experience from it).

Thanks for sharing those two sites. Will search through those.

When you're volunteering just to get a paying job, how dispiriting is it that the whole time you spend there is reduced to a word, a sentence, that (may) be read, and (might) carry some weight to an employer who already shows you the disrespect of not hiring you outright because your promise of working hard rates nothing. Why does so much have to be done for the employers. How about they make it easier for me somehow. I just don't want to exist in torment or die.

I have a real problem with drinking though. Several people (my father included) are alcoholics. Drinking swallowed all my friends away. I also don't drink because I don't get any fun or enjoyment from it. To each their own, but I won't be supporting it (even if I get paid/experience from it).

Thanks for sharing those two sites. Will search through those.

When you're volunteering just to get a paying job, how dispiriting is it that the whole time you spend there is reduced to a word, a sentence, that (may) be read, and (might) carry some weight to an employer who already shows you the disrespect of not hiring you outright because your promise of working hard rates nothing. Why does so much have to be done for the employers. How about they make it easier for me somehow. I just don't want to exist in torment or die.

What jobs have you applied for and what are you interested in working at?

Tbh you are making it very hard for people here to help you.

Are you living in a big town/city, or out in the sticks? WOuld you work in the likes of McDonalds?

What jobs have you applied for and what are you interested in working at?

Tbh you are making it very hard for people here to help you.

Are you living in a big town/city, or out in the sticks? WOuld you work in the likes of McDonalds?

It's a bustling metropolis known as Ennis in County Clare.
    I've applied for McDonald's and similar fast-food spots without success.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭dobman88

I work in a dry cleaners. 9-6 5 days a week. Off every Sunday and bank holidays. Only have to work every second Saturday.

I spent more than 10 years working in bars and hotels and went from that to this job and couldn't be happier. Great hours and easy to learn.

It's a bustling metropolis known as Ennis in County Clare.
    I've applied for McDonald's and similar fast-food spots without success.

Well Ennis is pretty big.

This time of year most of the hotels will be screaming out for staff, as will restaurants and shops.

What jobs will you exclude on ethical/respect grounds?

dobman88 wrote: »
    I work in a dry cleaners. 9-6 5 days a week. Off every Sunday and bank holidays. Only have to work every second Saturday.
    I'd work in a dry cleaners. How did you snatch up that job? Did you have prior experience?
    What jobs will you exclude on ethical/respect grounds?
    I'd feel good about working in a Fruit & Veg store. Unless the other folk working there was seriously unpleasant, non-conscientious about the quality of the store, jacking up the prices much too much to screw over the customers. There's hardly anything else I could pick holes through. People need fruit and veg.

Restaurants? At front?
    Would I have to pretend to care about the strangers who come in?

Restaurants? In back?
    Can I hold my dignity and am I going to be respected? OK I'll work there.

Ha I can imagine it being a major turn-off for employers if I were to list my actual demands on a CV.

• Advertisement

I'd work in a dry cleaners. How did you snatch up that job? Did you have prior experience?

I'd feel good about working in a Fruit & Veg store. Unless the other folk working there was seriously unpleasant, non-conscientious about the quality of the store, jacking up the prices much too much to screw over the customers. There's hardly anything else I could pick holes through. People need fruit and veg.

Restaurants? At front?
    Would I have to pretend to care about the strangers who come in?

Restaurants? In back?
    Can I hold my dignity and am I going to be respected? OK I'll work there.

Ha I can imagine it being a major turn-off for employers if I were to list my actual demands on a CV.

I'm actually flabbergasted. You have no skills or experience, and think you can exclude jobs where you might have to "pretend about the strangers who come in"?

That means any customer facing job is out for you. In fact pretty much any job is out for you. I'm at a different stage of my career than you, one where I've been able to chose not to work for a company who test medical products on animals as I knew I'd find work elsewhere, but you seem to think you can impose your ideals on industry despite having no experience.

Why is working in a dry cleaners ok? They charge massively inflated prices, use dangerous chemicals. Independant fruit and veg stores charge over the odds to cover their costs compared to supermarkets as they can't avail of economies of scale

You need a reality check, if you come across in real life like you do here, you're unemployable.

Have you done any courses on how to get a job or contacted a careers coach to discuss it?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭dobman88

No experience. My girlfriend even used to iron my shirts for me before I started working there. My boss gave me full on the job training and I picked it up after 2 weeks.

I snatched it up by applying for it. Missed the boss at the time so rang him at a different time to ask for a job. And it's a place that's open all year round but with good time off for Xmas.

I'm actually flabbergasted. You have no skills or experience, and think you can exclude jobs where you might have to "pretend about the strangers who come in"?

That means any customer facing job is out for you. In fact pretty much any job is out for you. I'm at a different stage of my career than you, one where I've been able to chose not to work for a company who test medical products on animals as I knew I'd find work elsewhere, but you seem to think you can impose your ideals on industry despite having no experience.

Why is working in a dry cleaners ok? They charge massively inflated prices, use dangerous chemicals. Independant fruit and veg stores charge over the odds to cover their costs compared to supermarkets as they can't avail of economies of scale

You need a reality check, if you come across in real life like you do here, you're unemployable.

Have you done any courses on how to get a job or contacted a careers coach to discuss it?

Yeah well I'm trying my best ethics-wise. Nobody is telling me about these things, I'm doing all the learning myself.

You're flabbergasted about my beliefs?
    I find your beliefs just the same.

I've given you enough information to go off on, but can't cease with the negative emotion.

dobman88 wrote: »
    No experience. My girlfriend even used to iron my shirts for me before I started working there. My boss gave me full on the job training and I picked it up after 2 weeks.

I snatched it up by applying for it. Missed the boss at the time so rang him at a different time to ask for a job. And it's a place that's open all year round but with good time off for Xmas.

Sure. Can I ask what do your work tasks entail?

Yeah well I'm trying my best ethics-wise. Nobody is telling me about these things, I'm doing all the learning myself.

You're flabbergasted about my beliefs?
    I find your beliefs just the same.

I've given you enough information to go off on, but can't cease with the negative emotion.

Well you haven't to be honest.

My employer is ethical, chooses roles I want to work in and follows employment law.

My employer is me.

You seem to have some weird stricture about where you will work. I at least have posted that I have chosen not to work in places where their ethics around animal testing do not meet mine, what ethics are you talking about? Irish employees have some of the most stringent rights in the world.

Will you work in Dunnes/Tesco/Supervalue?

Well you haven't to be honest.

My employer is ethical, chooses roles I want to work in and follows employment law.

My employer is me.

You seem to have some weird stricture about where you will work. I at least have posted that I have chosen not to work in places where their ethics around animal testing do not meet mine, what ethics are you talking about? Irish employees have some of the most stringent rights in the world.

Will you work in Dunnes/Tesco/Supervalue?

I never questioned your own personal beliefs on ethics. Don't get so defensive. I'm not even interested in what you work or anything like that. Is that why you're so mad? Let me be clear; I'm not interested in who you are or what job you work. The way you type just there is so dramatic.

I don't want your help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭pablo128

Get a job in a Warehouse. If you are a decent worker, there's usually higher roles in there you can aim for, Supervisor, assistant manager, warehouse manager, or work your way into the offices, admin etc.

I never questioned your own personal beliefs on ethics. Don't get so defensive. I'm not even interested in what you work or anything like that. Is that why you're so mad? Let me be clear; I'm not interested in who you are or what job you work. The way you type just there is so dramatic.

I don't want your help.
    You don't seem to want any help, you've been given loads of advice, then posted nonsense about how your ethics and need to be respected preclude you from working.

You sound like a workshy person looking for excuses to me.

You've done a degree you've no interest in working in, a course you've no interest in working in, and now you have ethics and respect issues around working.

Do you actually want to work?

or are you content for the rest of us to fund you on social welfare while we work and pay taxes?

At the end of the day unless you want to live a miserable life, you need to work.

Take those ethics and respect issues, get some advice and decide what you want to work in and get a job.

There are plenty of temping jobs/waitressing jobs/ bar jobs/ shop jobs out there.

Stop making excuses for your workshyness.

pablo128 wrote: »
    Get a job in a Warehouse. If you are a decent worker, there's usually higher roles in there you can aim for, Supervisor, assistant manager, warehouse manager, or work your way into the offices, admin etc.

It's a good suggestion. I'd work in a warehouse.
    But I'm looking more for ways in how to apply for these kinds of jobs. Currently, I have a few websites to check through, but I'm wondering if there's another way. Like is it appropriate to just wander from place to place and simply ask if there's jobs going, even if there was none advertized?

• Advertisement

It's a good suggestion. I'd work in a warehouse.
    But I'm looking more for ways in how to apply for these kinds of jobs. Currently, I have a few websites to check through, but I'm wondering if there's another way. Like is it appropriate to just wander from place to place and simply ask if there's jobs going, even if there was none advertized?

Both are fine, but some use agencies

Are you able to get to Shannon? If you are I'd check out every company in the business park there, and email their HR with your cv

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement