Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meniscus Operation options

Options
  • 30-07-2015 12:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

I tore my medial meniscus pretty badly almost two weeks ago, a large bucket tear which has flipped over and so I need surgery, unfortunately I don't have health insurance so it's going to cost quite a bit privately but from what I've heard of the waiting lists for public it could be over a year to get an operation and considering I wake up in pain every day and can't walk far at all I need this sorted as soon as possible, plus I'm an active person so keen to get back to sports.

I have got a general referal from my GP and so I was wondering if going through A&E and getting put on the wait list is any use at all? I've heard that there is an 'urgent' list for surgery which is a lot quicker than the general list.

Just wondering if anyone knows if meniscus repair is on the urgent list? And if so, what type of timelines would that be to get to see a consultant and then have the actual operation.

Currently the soonest private appointment with a consultant I can get is a month away anyway, and probably a couple of weeks after that for surgery, so I'm thinking if public 'urgent' route is around the same time I might be able to save 3 or 4 thousand euro and have it done in a similar time frame.

Thanks.

Advertisement