Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Car Park Spaces

Options
  • 30-07-2015 8:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭

so I drive to my local DIY store yesterday afternoon....empty enough car park. Plenty spaces, over 100. SO I park as usual well away from the crowds and lots of spaces around me

I think you know where this is going

Get back to my car to my surprise, no car parked near me. Result I think, it finally happened.
    Usually somebody for some unknown reason has parked beside me when there are loads of spaces

Sit in and getting phone plugged into charger when out of my left eye a car pulls in right beside. Not in the same space but practically in my space leaving very little for the driver to get out

I look across, he makes eye contact, I lip sync to him "seriously?" and he ignores me

His passenger gets out and he sits. I think "ok hes waiting in the car, nothing will happen"

Then the seat belt unclips, opens the door and "ding"

After having a bit of a Michael Douglas Falling Down day already with work, etc I get out of the car and have words

He just stares and his passenger

I ask why he had to park up beside me in a practically empty car park when there were other spaces he could have easily used. Continues to ignore me.

I ask him to open his car door so I can check exactly where his car hit mine to check if he caused damage. There are some already car park small dings there anyway on mine. He opens his door but blocks my way to see. I ask him to move and he doesn't. I walk around other side and then he closes door and walks off

Continuing to say nothing, no apology

Rant over...!!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,866 ✭✭✭✭MuppetCheck

Work out where the hit was, take his insurance fetails if there's damage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Barely There

Lex Luthor wrote: »

I look across, he makes eye contact, I lip sync to him "seriously?" and he ignores me...

Continues to ignore me.

he closes door and walks off

Is it possible that there was nobody actually there and you imagined the whole thing?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭phill106

Is it possible that there was nobody actually there and you imagined the whole thing?

I see door bangers!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,309 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

phill106 wrote: »
    I see door bangers!

Your still lying on your bed Op. She loves you its ok walk into the light...

Seriusly though..what an ass! Nothing suprises me these days though!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

When people just stare stupidly at me I sometimes think they may be deaf, and so I switch to sign language.
    Usually the universal sign for bird..

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭freddieot

I suspect your car was clean ? I deliberately don't wash mine except maybe 4-5 times a year in order to discourage this. A lot of people don't care about their own car or more importantly other people's property for that matter.

They may not care about a ding but parking that close means they usually have to brush your car walking out and if it is filthy, well....I find that puts them off a lot of the time....

Very hard not to lose control in those situations though, almost as bad as coming back to a flat tyre when you are in a hurry.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭duffman3833

its the most frustrating thing to happen, it happened my car on more than one occasion, i worked in retail a few years ago and came out to find a nice ding in my door. Some people, like me, take pride in their cars after working hard to get them in the first place and all it takes in an inconsiderate person to dent your car that you earned. Probably the most reason for these is because they are too lazy to find a space that their vehicle will fit and find the closest spot even if there inst much room. Never park beside van, large vehicles like people carriers or any car that may have kids as they will just open the door without care. I also try park on a end parking space so at least 1 side will be safe

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭edburg

Most people in this country just don't give a **** quite frankly, having seen it from op side and been passenger in the idiots car who does these things. 'ITS ONLY A CAR' was response I got from lads I worked with.

I have blue badge and occasionally Park in disabled when I am bad and still end with same issue's. 1 guy suggested I shouldn't have car like that in disabled instead ofa apology of some kind.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

edburg wrote: »
    Most people in this country just don't give a **** quite frankly, having seen it from op side and been passenger in the idiots car who does these things. 'ITS ONLY A CAR' was response I got from lads I worked with.

Do any of them have their phones in cases ? Ask to borrow them, take it out and scrap it along the concrete, hand it back and say "it's only a phone"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭sbEdge

Happened to me a few weeks ago. I was sitting in the car waiting someone. A woman reversed into the space next to me. Opened her door and wore it off mine.
    I looked at her in disbelief because she hit it so hard. She just looked at me and said good morning and walked off. I checked for damage and there wasn't any but the edge of her door was battered and bent all over the place, she obviously makes a habit of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭bisounours

I always try to park next to really new, expensive cars with my banger. Owners of the cars are usually very careful and not to mention if a thief comes along, their cars are much more tempting than mine !

Saw a granny take out the side of her (newish) car against the pillar earlier this week. Made me sad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

If someone reversed into you and caused a dent you would feel correct and entitled to claim and report to insurance if needed. Not sure why some people think damage caused by smashing their door off your car is any different and exempt. I wonder what would happen if you claimed off their insurance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭duffman3833

would insurance companies even bother with these incidents?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

I'd wonder how this would play out too. I'd be livid if I caught anyone doing it to mine. Hate parking in my apartment as the car park is always relatively full and no assigned spaces :o

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭NickDunne

he ignores me

...His passenger gets out and he sits. I think "ok hes waiting in the car, nothing will happen"

...He just stares and his passenger

...Continues to ignore me.

...He opens his door but blocks my way to see. I ask him to move and he doesn't. I walk around other side and then he closes door and walks off

Rant over...!!!

Now 99% of the time I'm a level-headed guy, don't mess with another mans car, woman, money etc.. but this sh1t above make "revenge" fair game imo.

Petty or not, I'd give him a reason to regret acting the way he did towards me and my pride & joy. Fúcking scumbag of the highest order, no regard for anyone except himself :mad: aaaand relax... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,527 ✭✭✭wandererz

Happened to me last week. I had to quickly start my car reverse out and move back in leaving suffiicient space.

She couldn't give a damn.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

Pics of the car park...all the empty spaces and how close he parks

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭bisounours

next time use those shopping carts to block off the spaces next to you !

• Registered Users Posts: 81,186 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

I am convinced that some of these simpletons are like magpies, they are attracted to shiney cars in car parks. I find when I have the car all cleaned and shined and park it at the back of the carpark with a good 100 plus spaces between my car and the front door I will normally come back to my car with some idiot forcing me to do a Dukes Of Hazzard entrance to the car because they are parked so close.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭Hachiko

so I drive to my local DIY store yesterday afternoon....empty enough car park. Plenty spaces, over 100. SO I park as usual well away from the crowds and lots of spaces around me

I think you know where this is going

Get back to my car to my surprise, no car parked near me. Result I think, it finally happened.
    Usually somebody for some unknown reason has parked beside me when there are loads of spaces

Sit in and getting phone plugged into charger when out of my left eye a car pulls in right beside. Not in the same space but practically in my space leaving very little for the driver to get out

I look across, he makes eye contact, I lip sync to him "seriously?" and he ignores me

His passenger gets out and he sits. I think "ok hes waiting in the car, nothing will happen"

Then the seat belt unclips, opens the door and "ding"

After having a bit of a Michael Douglas Falling Down day already with work, etc I get out of the car and have words

I ask why he had to park up beside me in a practically empty car park when there were other spaces he could have easily used. Continues to ignore me.

I ask him to open his car door so I can check exactly where his car hit mine to check if he caused damage. There are some already car park small dings there anyway on mine. He opens his door but blocks my way to see. I ask him to move and he doesn't. I walk around other side and then he closes door and walks off

Rant over...!!!

ignorant thick f**k, always idiots wherever you go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,795 ✭✭✭Red Kev

Yes they do.

Sitting in my car at 8.15 am in B&Q in Swords and some woman parked right beside me in an almost empty car park. She gave my door a good slap, left a tiny bit of my paint on her car and hers on mine. I took photos of it, got her insurance off her disc and rang my own insurance company.

One of her assessors came out, looked at the car, I got a phone call two days late with an offer for €240. Got that dent and five or six small dents and scratches done for €350. Happy out.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,236 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

And that is I now park wrong as in I always park a little over the white line on the passenger side or leave the rear over the white line :) it's the only way no one parks beside you ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭Roger Mellie Man on the Telly

You shouldn't get so worked up about your Renault.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭SuperS54

His isn't the Renault...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭sunnysoutheast

Classic.

I'd have put money on it being a Fluence, ix35 or Octavia from your initial description of the incident!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,791 ✭✭✭coolisin

You shouldn't get so worked up about your Renault.

What a bull**** reply, if it is his renault so what if he gets worked up about it.
    People should have respect for your property end of.

I've spent a lot of money on repairing car park dings on a Mazda that where not my fault. A new rear light cluster, which was not cheap just because somebody in a SUV had no idea of the size of their motor.

But it was only a mazda :roll eyes:

I hate car parks!!
    When I picked up my current car, id only bought it was meeting a member from here to compare, and a woman parks up and whack!! She said nothing until I got out and was like what the f***, then she said sorry.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭power pants

Autosport wrote: »
    And that is I now park wrong as in I always park a little over the white line on the passenger side or leave the rear over the white line :) it's the only way no one parks beside you ;)

how does that fix the problem :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭sunnysoutheast

coolisin wrote: »
    What a bull**** reply, if it is his renault so what if he gets worked up about it.
    People should have respect for your property end of.

I've spent a lot of money on repairing car park dings on a Mazda that where not my fault. A new rear light cluster, which was not cheap just because somebody in a SUV had no idea of the size of their motor.

But it was only a mazda :roll eyes:

I hate car parks!!
    When I picked up my current car, id only bought it was meeting a member from here to compare, and a woman parks up and whack!! She said nothing until I got out and was like what the f***, then she said sorry.

I think it was meant as a lighthearted joke. It's obvious from the description the OP's car is the Subaru!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,857 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Megane/Fluence driver..... say no more. Cars say a lot about their owners! :)
    bisounours wrote: »
    next time use those shopping carts to block off the spaces next to you !

That could easily have the complete opposite effect to the desired one!

Advertisement