Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Indian Restaurant

Options
  • 29-07-2015 10:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,595 ✭✭✭

Hi

I'm looking for recommendations for a good Indian restaurant preferably in the city centre or Northside of Dublin.

I had two really bad experiences with Indian food many years ago when I lived in London and I put me off it. My partner really loves it though but rarely has it because of my dislike. I'm planning a treat for him in the coming weeks so would like to bring him to a decent restaurant.

Also any recommendations of what I could choose on the menu would be great.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭themandan6611

kathmandu on Dame street or Kinara in Clontarf - fab Indians

• Registered Users Posts: 5,717 ✭✭✭abff

By far the best Indian restaurants I've been to in Dublin are both on the south side - Ananda in Dundrum Town Centre and Rasam, which is over Eagle House in Glasthule. If you're near a DART line, Rasam is very close to Glasthule Station.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭donal7

Hi

I'm looking for recommendations for a good Indian restaurant preferably in the city centre or Northside of Dublin.

I had two really bad experiences with Indian food many years ago when I lived in London and I put me off it. My partner really loves it though but rarely has it because of my dislike. I'm planning a treat for him in the coming weeks so would like to bring him to a decent restaurant.

Also any recommendations of what I could choose on the menu would be great.

Thanks.

Mint Leaf in Drumcondra gets my vote. Really good food. I've been there countless times and it never disappointed me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,747 ✭✭✭fleet_admiral

Kinara in Clontarf is great

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,787 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Diwali on George's Street is also very good in a cheap-and-cheerful sort of way. It's the same owners as Kathmandu Kitchen on Dame Street.

Jaipur really has left a big gap for upmarket Indian food in the city centre. Indie Dhaba likewise.

A big +1 on Ananda, btw. Well worth the Luas trek down to Dundrum.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭Zadkiel

I'd second both the Mint Leaf in Drumcondra (you could have a drink in fagans before or after)
    I had also recommended Jaipur but hadnt realise it was closed :(

Good to hear they're still looking at options for a new premises though.

I'd recommend having a chicken bhuna in any restaurant if you're concerned about the heat.
    If you like sweet things you could also have a Korma, less spicy but very heavy on coconut

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,203 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Zadkiel wrote: »
    I'd second both the Mint Leaf in Drumcondra (you could have a drink in fagans before or after) or Jaipur.

Jaipur slightly pips it for me because its a beautiful restaurant.

They do a very nice sharing platter as a starter and if you're a little unadventurous you couldnt go wrong with a chicken bhuna with sum pilau rice and naan.

I don't know if they still do them but I'd recommend a Lassi with your food, they're a yoghurt based drink and good to have on standby if you find the food a little spicy.
    Jaipur on George's Street is gone in case you hadn't realised.

Indie Spice in Ringsend is pretty good and do good value early bird/set menu options.

Monty's of Kathmandu ( Eustace St) was delicious when I went there, though a bit pricey.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 4,311 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

Kinara in Clontarf and Kaajal in Malahide (Sister restaurants, the latter being Pakistani). If you want quality interesting food, both have won many awards for best restaurant in their fields.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,633 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

Did anyone mention Kinara yet? :)

http://www.kinara.ie/menus/detail/a-la-carte

Talk to the staff if you are worried about ordering something too spicy. They do a korma but also do a lovely creamy chicken masala (Murgh Tikka Masala) if you prefer thing with less chilli to it. Again, ask the staff.
    I could quite happily go there and have nothing but the pilau rice. Delicious.
    Pre-theatre/early bird price is a bit of a bargain too.

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,121 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

There's a place in Howth called Okra green which is again Indian/Pakistani and very good, but if I was going with a first choice, it would be Kinara.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,595 ✭✭✭Meauldsegosha

Thanks for all the suggestions everyone. Kinara is close to us so we'll try there first. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭Arbiter of Good Taste

Thanks for all the suggestions everyone. Kinara is close to us so we'll try there first. :D

I would definitely recommend Kinara. Fab food, and beautiful views from upstairs

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Another +1 for Kinara from me.
    However, I've yet to go to Ananda in Dundrum and have heard amazing things about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 758 ✭✭✭Rakish Paddy

How has nobody mentioned Madina on Mary St. yet?! It's casual and not impressive-looking, but the food is absolutely delicious and always has loads of south Asian folks eating there so that seems like a good sign.

Diwali on George's St. does a decent feed too.

I was extremely unimpressed by Ananda in Dundrum - if it's a nice hearty curry you want, I don't think Ananda is the place to get it. I ordered a pork (I think) vindaloo there, and what came out was a long plate with two pieces of dry pork stacked on top of one another, with a crescent-shaped skidmark of vindaloo sauce around them on the plate, along with a little mound of bright pink sweet rice and some lousy overdone roti. I thought it was like what you would get if a wanky French restaurant and a curry house had an illegimate child.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,311 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

Diwali on George's St. does a decent feed too.

That used to be Nagina....I loved going there for their madras!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

I was extremely unimpressed by Ananda in Dundrum - if it's a nice hearty curry you want, I don't think Ananda is the place to get it. I ordered a pork (I think) vindaloo there, and what came out was a long plate with two pieces of dry pork stacked on top of one another, with a crescent-shaped skidmark of vindaloo sauce around them on the plate, along with a little mound of bright pink sweet rice and some lousy overdone roti. I thought it was like what you would get if a wanky French restaurant and a curry house had an illegimate child.

It's pretty much an Indian 'fine dining' restaurant, so don't go in there expecting a big heart curry! The prices should have been an indication of this!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 418 ✭✭Confucius say

Kinara is an absolute rip off though. 20 or 21 euros for a curry, and rice not even included. That's ridiculous. It's curry not Michelin star molecular gastronomy. I wish we had cheap and cheerful Brick Lane type establishments here. So yeah I would never recommend Kinara to anyone because of the extortionate prices.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

Kinara in Clontarf and Kaajal in Malahide (Sister restaurants, the latter being Pakistani). If you want quality interesting food, both have won many awards for best restaurant in their fields.

I'll add my vote for Kaajal.

Great spot.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,613 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Kinara is an absolute rip off though. 20 or 21 euros for a curry, and rice not even included. That's ridiculous. It's curry not Michelin star molecular gastronomy. I wish we had cheap and cheerful Brick Lane type establishments here. So yeah I would never recommend Kinara to anyone because of the extortionate prices.

+1 to this, I love Indian food but the prices of it in Dublin are a complete rip off IMO. Many places now charging €17-20 for a curry and then another €3 for some rice.

Prices for an Indian restaurant in London are almost half that of Dublin at this stage. This Indian is my go to place in Brick Lane, they've won a ton of awards over the years and the place is always packed. Yet you can still get a Lamb Madras with rice for £9, even with the crap exchange rate thats still a top notch curry and rice for under €12.
    http://aladinbricklane.net/aladinmenu.pdf

I really wish there was more competition for Indian food in Dublin to bring the prices down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

Muahahaha wrote: »
    +1 to this, I love Indian food but the prices of it in Dublin are a complete rip off IMO. Many places now charging €17-20 for a curry and then another €3 for some rice.

Prices for an Indian restaurant in London are almost half that of Dublin at this stage. This Indian is my go to place in Brick Lane, they've won a ton of awards over the years and the place is always packed. Yet you can still get a Lamb Madras with rice for £9, even with the crap exchange rate thats still a top notch curry and rice for under €12.
    http://aladinbricklane.net/aladinmenu.pdf

I really wish there was more competition for Indian food in Dublin to bring the prices down.

+1

I go to Birmingham quite a bit and there's a rake of places were you can pile in as a group throw 20 squid each on the table (or even a tenner) and ask them to feed you! You always get top scran!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32 the dark ken night

abff wrote:
    By far the best Indian restaurants I've been to in Dublin are both on the south side - Ananda in Dundrum Town Centre and Rasam, which is over Eagle House in Glasthule. If you're near a DART line, Rasam is very close to Glasthule Station.

I have eaten Indian food in every type of Indian restaurant in this country and without a doubt the nicest(and most expensive) was in Ananda in Dundrum.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭Ardeehey

Haven't been to Ananda yet but Rasam is excellent

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Hootanany

Punjab by Nature in Ranelagh

• Registered Users Posts: 5,860 ✭✭✭trellheim

Rasam is superb but a long way on the southside.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I'm a big fan of the Kinara group of restaurants, but I do get that they are expensive. The Kinara Kitchen in Ranelagh (literally a few mins from the Luas stop) also has great cocktails, plus a speakeasy cocktail bar on the first floor.

For cheap and cheerful Indian food, I'd recommend Madina Desi on Mary Street, Dublin 1. It's a casual cafe-style spot, but it's good. I had a wonderful masala dosa and pani puri on my last visit. I did try Delhi O'Deli before, which was also good, but I think that's closed now.

We have lots of good high-end Indian restaurants, but we do need more cafe-style cheaper venues. Something like Iyer's Cafe in Cork would be great to have in Dublin.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

I went to Ananda on Sunday night. It was a pain in the hole to get across the city but it was worth it, the food was really, really good. The portion sizes varied a bit; for a starter I had the three types of chicken (I’m not going to attempt to name it) which was a bit on the ‘wanky French restaurant’ end of the portion size spectrum alright; two of my friends had the jumbo prawns which were massive though. For the main I had the prawns and duck egg curry and was full enough by the end, while one or two in my group didn’t finish their meal.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,835 ✭✭✭✭unkel

dudara wrote: »
    For cheap and cheerful Indian food, I'd recommend Madina Desi on Mary Street, Dublin 1. It's a casual cafe-style spot, but it's good.

+1

Pretty decent curries and very cheap, particularly if you have a voucher like this current one:

Chicken kebab with rice or naan and a drink for €5!

Linky

• Registered Users Posts: 7,595 ✭✭✭Meauldsegosha

Thanks for all the suggestions. I'll have him eating Indian for a month. :D:p

• Registered Users Posts: 10,229 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Thanks for all the suggestions. I'll have him eating Indian for a month. :D:p

And sitting on the bog for another :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,747 ✭✭✭fleet_admiral

Ive been going to Tandoori Bite on south Richmond street for nearly ten years now and was only disappointed once. Had one out of there on Monday morning that was delish

Advertisement