Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Saorview signals from 4 different transmitters

Options
  • 28-07-2015 11:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 150 ✭✭

I've came across this one location where it's possible to pick up a Saorview signal from 4 different transmitters.
    Would this be a common phenomenon at all? :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

Not at all. When I lived in Ireland I could receive from at least 5 transmitters.

Truskmore, Castlebar, Westport, Maghera, Cairn Hill.

And by the way that was in Mayo too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭obezyana

I can recieve off 3 Saorview and 1 Freeview. Mount Leinster, Gallows hills, Suir valley and Presley in South Wales.

Plenty of signal in Waterford City/South Kilkenny. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭Thurston?

I've came across this one location where it's possible to pick up a Saorview signal from 4 different transmitters.
    Would this be a common phenomenon at all?

I'd say it's common to get some kind of signal from multiple transmitters. If they were all roughly equal level/quality, that might be another matter.

Where I am in Monaghan, I can get Monaghan, Clermont Carn, & Truskmore, but Monaghan is easily the best. Move a short distance away, & I could add Cairn Hill to that list, possibly even Kippure.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭khumbu

Its a pity the saorview coverage website only lists a single transmitter for any given location. It would be good if it also listed any alternative sources of signal in cases where primary source line of sight is blocked locally.

khumbu wrote: »
    Its a pity the saorview coverage website only lists a single transmitter for any given location. It would be good if it also listed any alternative sources of signal in cases where primary source line of sight is blocked locally.

There is a full list. I have one i cant remember where i got it i think it was the Saorview website or 2rn. Im pretty sure tho the closer you zoom in on the interactive map (Saorview checker) the more transmitters locations are available.

Edit; I just checked and it was from the 2rn website.

• Advertisement

He/she means that it only shows the top choice transmitter when you enter or click on a location, without showing suitable alternatives, if any, say if the 1st choice is no use due to trees or buildings.

The Freeview version (no map, you enter your postcode) shows alternatives in detailed view e.g. http://www.digitaluk.co.uk/coveragechecker/main/trade/bt684uj/NA/0/fprnuflua8117lp4cfpbqg5nh0 & http://www.digitaluk.co.uk/coveragechecker/main/trade/bt618ew/NA/0/NA, although Black Mtn. in this case is only a source for the NImux.

My parents can get Saorview from Knockanore, Mullaghanish, Maghera or Knockmoyle. So I don't think it's that unusual. :)

Thurston? wrote: »
    He/she means that it only shows the top choice transmitter when you enter or click on a location, without showing suitable alternatives, if any, say if the 1st choice is no use due to trees or buildings.

The Freeview version (no map, you enter your postcode) shows alternatives in detailed view e.g. http://www.digitaluk.co.uk/coveragechecker/main/trade/bt684uj/NA/0/fprnuflua8117lp4cfpbqg5nh0

Ireland isn't that big so the main transmitters might just be enough info for the average joe soap. Any decent installer will have a good idea of what transmitter would be best in any given location and of course being Ireland we are usually behind on things hence maybe that is why the Saorview checker doesn't give as much detailed info as the Freeview option.

obezyana wrote: »
    Ireland isn't that big so the main transmitters might just be enough info for the average joe soap. Any decent installer will have a good idea of what transmitter would be best in any given location and of course being Ireland we are usually behind on things hence maybe that is why the Saorview checker doesn't give as much detailed info as the Freeview option.

The detailed view on the Freeview checker is aimed at the trade, might originally have been called 'trade view'. (The alternative is the 'consumer view'.)

Not sure what you mean by the part about the size of the country & the main transmitters. That info. won't be much use to Joe Soap if he isn't covered by 1 of the main sites, or by the transmitter that comes up when you search the coverage checker, if that's what you mean by 'main transmitter'.

The detailed view on the Freeview checker is aimed at the trade, might originally have been called 'trade view'. (The alternative is the 'consumer view'.)

Not sure what you mean by the part about the size of the country & the main transmitters. That info. won't be much use to Joe Soap if he isn't covered by 1 of the main sites, or by the transmitter that comes up when you search the coverage checker, if that's what you mean by 'main transmitter'.

Yes the main transmitter that Soarview deems sufficient for the persons location and even at that it will point you to the nearest relay station if the main one is too far away for a reliable signal. You understand by what i mean 'main' yes?????? eg; Mount Leinster would be main...and a relay would be Forth Mountain or Gorey etc........

I had a person who had an issue with signal break up on Soarview, the problem was a bunch of trees right in front of the aerial which was pointing towards Mount Leinster, now I couldn't cut down the trees to improve signal so I turned the aerial to the nearest relay station which was Gallows Hill......job done.....no more issues and I didn't need such detailed info like the Freeview one you linked, the info on the 2rn print out I had gave me enough info to know which relay station was best for that location as there was an option of two.

• Advertisement

Yes the main transmitter that Soarview deems sufficient for the persons location and even at that it will point you to the nearest relay station if the main one is too far away for a reliable signal. You understand by what i mean 'main' yes?????? eg; Mount Leinster would be main...and a relay would be Forth Mountain or Gorey etc........

... I didn't need such detailed info like the Freeview one you linked, the info on the 2rn print out I had gave me enough info to know which relay station was best for that location as there was an option of two.

Yes, the 'main' sites, on the primary distribution system (doesn't include the likes of Kilduff, which fairly outranks a few of them in terms of radiated power): just wondered why you wanted to limit poor oul' Joe's info. to only these sites, so wanted to make sure we were on the same page, as it were. :)

And of course you're right that anyone who knows an area & has proper signal-measuring equipment, won't need computer generated info. to quickly find the right transmitter.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 3,584 Mod ✭✭✭✭St Senan

I have a customer in Gorey who's Aerial is pointing directly at the Gorey Transmitter up beside the grave yard. There is direct line of sight about 1000 metres between house and transmitter, she bought a Phillips TV in a local shop. When the TV was tuned by the shop guy "Automatic Tuning" it picked up MT Leinster thru the back of the Aerial. This person had constant break up and when she contacted the Shop the told her that its not their problem its the guy who fitted the Aerial's problem. When i called out and checked everything i found that the TV was only storing in on ch 23 and c26 Mt Leinster when auto tuning it wasn't holding ch 55 and ch 59 Gorey signal at all, so i manually stored in Gorey but every so often she was back to square 1 channels breaking up and when i get there the TV channels are gone from channels 123.....and so on and when i check the settings on the TV the Mt leinster frequencies are back again. I also found that when the TV is tuned it always stores the Irish channels up in the 100s with out any name on the channel even when Ireland is selected and tbh its a procedure in its self to find the channels rename them and move them to position 1.2.3.. and so on. The TV is not listed on the Saorview approved list. This TV was bought just after the Switchover for big big money and the local shop just didn't want to know. The only solution that i could come up with was to take out an existing FTA box put in a combi box connect the Aerial and dish to that and just use the TV as a monitor I tuned in Gorey Signal manually and everything is sorted. It was just a complete waste of money buying this big TV and it wasn't doing what the customer wanted it to do and the Shop just didn't care at all. As far as they are concerned the TV works.

Yes, the 'main' sites, on the primary distribution system (doesn't include the likes of Kilduff, which fairly outranks a few of them in terms of radiated power): just wondered why you wanted to limit poor oul' Joe's info. to only these sites, so wanted to make sure we were on the same page, as it were. :)

And of course you're right that anyone who knows an area & has proper signal-measuring equipment, won't need computer generated info. to quickly find the right transmitter.

I don't and I never said I did its just you misreading things again to suit yourself. Poor oul Joe (as you put it) would generally not be looking in detail for which transmitter gives off more power etc, all they want is to get a signal and get on with watching TV. Installers would like that info as its useful to them.

The Saorview coverage checker is designed to give the customer an idea of their coverage and after that Saorview recommend having a competent installer to install Saorview and that is when the more detailed information would be useful (for installer). I don't know if the OP is in the trade or what and im presuming nor do you so who knows what he/she meant which again maybe you are misreading the post.

Navarre wrote: »
    I have a customer in Gorey who's Aerial is pointing directly at the Gorey Transmitter up beside the grave yard. There is direct line of sight about 1000 metres between house and transmitter, she bought a Phillips TV in a local shop. When the TV was tuned by the shop guy "Automatic Tuning" it picked up MT Leinster thru the back of the Aerial. This person had constant break up and when she contacted the Shop the told her that its not their problem its the guy who fitted the Aerial's problem. When i called out and checked everything i found that the TV was only storing in on ch 23 and c26 Mt Leinster when auto tuning it wasn't holding ch 55 and ch 59 Gorey signal at all, so i manually stored in Gorey but every so often she was back to square 1 channels breaking up and when i get there the TV channels are gone from channels 123.....and so on and when i check the settings on the TV the Mt leinster frequencies are back again. I also found that when the TV is tuned it always stores the Irish channels up in the 100s with out any name on the channel even when Ireland is selected and tbh its a procedure in its self to find the channels rename them and move them to position 1.2.3.. and so on. The TV is not listed on the Saorview approved list. This TV was bought just after the Switchover for big big money and the local shop just didn't want to know. The only solution that i could come up with was to take out an existing FTA box put in a combi box connect the Aerial and dish to that and just use the TV as a monitor I tuned in Gorey Signal manually and everything is sorted. It was just a complete waste of money buying this big TV and it wasn't doing what the customer wanted it to do and the Shop just didn't care at all. As far as they are concerned the TV works.

Some shop staff dont really have a clue, all they are told or read is that it is a digital TV and off they go selling it to some people who unfortunately don't know enough either. My sister done the same thing she bought a TV that has a terrestrial tuner but it doesn't work here. It said Freeview on the box and she presumed it would work, no one in the shop knew any different either.

I have a customer in Gorey who's Aerial is pointing directly at the Gorey Transmitter up beside the grave yard. There is direct line of sight about 1000 metres between house and transmitter, she bought a Phillips TV in a local shop. When the TV was tuned by the shop guy "Automatic Tuning" it picked up MT Leinster thru the back of the Aerial. This person had constant break up and when she contacted the Shop the told her that its not their problem its the guy who fitted the Aerial's problem. When i called out and checked everything i found that the TV was only storing in on ch 23 and c26 Mt Leinster when auto tuning it wasn't holding ch 55 and ch 59 Gorey signal at all, so i manually stored in Gorey but every so often she was back to square 1 channels breaking up and when i get there the TV channels are gone from channels 123.....and so on and when i check the settings on the TV the Mt leinster frequencies are back again.

... The only solution that i could come up with was to take out an existing FTA box put in a combi box connect the Aerial and dish to that and just use the TV as a monitor I tuned in Gorey Signal manually and everything is sorted.

Could you not have fitted a bandpass filter that would have got rid of Mt. Leinster? (Or just point the aerial at Mt. Leinster, is Gorey much better at that location?)
    The Saorview coverage checker is designed to give the customer an idea of their coverage and after that Saorview recommend having a competent installer to install Saorview and that is when the more detailed information would be useful (for installer). I don't know if the OP is in the trade or what and im presuming nor do you so who knows what he/she meant which again maybe you are misreading the post.

It's perfectly clear what Khumbu (not the OP here) meant in their post.

Some shop staff dont really have a clue, all they are told or read is that it is a digital TV and off they go selling it to some people who unfortunately don't know enough either. My sister done the same thing she bought a TV that has a terrestrial tuner but it doesn't work here. It said Freeview on the box and she presumed it would work, no one in the shop knew any different either.

And the likes of yourself would probably be the 1st to accuse say myself or that Winston character of nitpicking, if we point out the improper use of terms such as Freeview in the forum here.

And the likes of yourself would probably be the 1st to accuse say myself or that Winston character of nitpicking, if we point out the improper use of terms such as Freeview in the forum here.

:D

No I don't think so my friend. Point out to me any post where i have accused some one of using improper terms? As for Winston well come on you have to admit he does a lot of it but we should not bring him up as he has nothing to do with this. I don't think there is a need for you to be getting childish as it seems your getting personal. You are bringing this thread off topic and you seem to have a bee in your bonnet with me so I wont engage with you anymore on this :)

Oh if you can point out any post where I nit picked over a wrong term being used then ill continue on with this ok. As for now im off before we get told off :D

Point out to me any post where i have accused some one of using improper terms?

... Oh if you can point out any post where I nit picked over a wrong term being used then ill continue on with this ok. As for now im off before we get told off :D

I didn't accuse you of nitpicking.

You posted that someone bought a TV with 'Freeview' on the box, thinking it would work here. What I'm getting at is it's no surprise they might think this, given the way terms like Freeview are thrown about, with no regard to the fact that it's actually the UK terrestrial system.

Anyhow, here's a thread that might illustrate what I'm on about: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=93347967

I didn't accuse you of nitpicking.

You posted that someone bought a TV with 'Freeview' on the box, thinking it would work here. What I'm getting at is it's no surprise they might think this, given the way terms like Freeview are thrown about, with no regard to the fact that it's actually the UK terrestrial system.

Anyhow, here's a thread that might illustrate what I'm on about
    : http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=93347967

I didn't say you accused me of nit picking. You suggested id probably pull someone up over using the incorrect terminology which I never have.

Yes I did say that it was my sister who bought it. Im merely pointing out the fact that people who dont know the difference would get caught out and the shops are doing nothing to stop it happening as their staff are not in the know as to the difference. I dont see what problem you have with this one.

That thread still does not point out anything to suggest I pull people up over terminology. I think you need to read over my posts again and do it longer this time. Winston nit picked, with what I followed up cant really be construed as nit picking.....

This thread is gone beyond ridiculous. If you have such a problem with me take it to PM if you wish and we can go back and forth till the cows come home. :) I'm sure everyone else doesn't want to see threads getting derailed like this as it adds nothing to the forum.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭khumbu

I'm not in the trade. Was helping out a relation install an aerial for saorview . The LOS to transmitter recommended on 2rn saorview coverage checker was blocked.
    There was 2 alternative transmitters that were receivable at same location. It would have been handy to be know the next best choice from a SNR point of view, without having to manually figure out direction, polarisation & mux frequency etc. for the secondary options. Antenna had to be tested & tv tuned for 2 different transmitters to find better of the two alternative transmitters.

khumbu wrote: »
    I'm not in the trade. Was helping out a relation install an aerial for saorview . The LOS to transmitter recommended on 2rn saorview coverage checker was blocked.
    There was 2 alternative transmitters that were receivable at same location. It would have been handy to be know the next best choice from a SNR point of view, without having to manually figure out direction, polarisation & mux frequency etc. for the secondary options. Antenna had to be tested & tv tuned for 2 different transmitters to find better of the two alternative transmitters.

First off thanks for getting back to this :) at least now we got the heads up :D

I agree about it being handy if one could know the next and nearest available transmitter with los but unfortunately that information is not available. For an non installer it is kind of a trial and error thing i suppose which can be a pita.

I didn't say you accused me of nit picking. You suggested id probably pull someone up over using the incorrect terminology which I never have.

No, I suggested you'd accuse someone else of nitpicking, if
    they were the one who pulled someone up over incorrect terminology.

Your reading comprehension isn't so hot ...

No, I suggested you'd accuse someone else of nitpicking, if
    they were the one who pulled someone up over incorrect terminology.

Your reading comprehension isn't so hot ...

Ah that was just towards Winston and to be fair he was warned as he is always at it. If you can find where iv done it to some one else then ill stand corrected and admit defeat.

:D Are you 11? Such a silly thing to post....funny but silly. Again why are you getting so personal?

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 3,584 Mod ✭✭✭✭St Senan

The distance Between the Aerial and the Gorey relay is about 1000 metres clear line of sight.
    The distance between the Aerial and Mt Leinster would be roughly 35-45 km as the crow flies with lots of hills and terrain. The woman paid for a WB aerial at the time of the Switchover. It was only when she bought this Phillips TV that she had problems. It would have been in better interest if the Shop had of just sorted it out instead of passing the book. The TV was not listed on the Saorview approved list. Even with Ireland selected the channels don't store in on 1.2.3.4 and so on the TV don't display the channel names and the TV for some strange reason kept reverting back to ch 23 and ch 26. The woman lost faith with the TV and the best solution in the long term was to put in a combi box and have all the Irish and UK channels together on the same list. And the bonus was been able to see the RF channel number when tuning the TV so we know that the TV is on ch 55 and ch 59

Yeah, would be a pain if it keeps messing up the channel list like that, even if it was only finding the Gorey signal, I suppose it shows all those 'test' channels in the list too.

I know there were other threads here before with people complaining about this 'autosearch in standby' behaviour, & that not every receiver has an option to turn it off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 150 ✭✭cornholiooo

OP here, I haven't been online in a few days, what consternation!!
    Is it me or are the most heated disagreements on these forums always in this particular section???
    The transmitters I am hitting are castlebar, achill, dooncarton and also one more (ch 53 and 57) - I never bothered checking where that is but I know it's definitely saorview.

... The transmitters I am hitting are castlebar, achill, dooncarton and also one more (ch 53 and 57) - I never bothered checking where that is but I know it's definitely saorview.

The last 1 is Truskmore, which is also the signal source for Castlebar & Dooncarton.

Achill I think receives off-air from Clifden, & Clifden from Maghera.

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭TAFKAlawhec

The distance Between the Aerial and the Gorey relay is about 1000 metres clear line of sight.
    The distance between the Aerial and Mt Leinster would be roughly 35-45 km as the crow flies with lots of hills and terrain. The woman paid for a WB aerial at the time of the Switchover. It was only when she bought this Phillips TV that she had problems. It would have been in better interest if the Shop had of just sorted it out instead of passing the book. The TV was not listed on the Saorview approved list. Even with Ireland selected the channels don't store in on 1.2.3.4 and so on the TV don't display the channel names and the TV for some strange reason kept reverting back to ch 23 and ch 26. The woman lost faith with the TV and the best solution in the long term was to put in a combi box and have all the Irish and UK channels together on the same list. And the bonus was been able to see the RF channel number when tuning the TV so we know that the TV is on ch 55 and ch 59
    In my experience, over the last few years Phillips TV's & PVRs can have a mind of its own, deliberately inhibit or make difficult what it is capable of (similar to some Pannys), even both at times. I tend to be reluctant to recommend Phillips TVs these days unless I know from experience that they behave themselves.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Galway

Would this be a common phenomenon at all? :)

Its not that unusual. I am 26 km north of Galway City and can pick up 6 Saorview main TX or relays: Maghera (Co. Clare), Cairn Hill (Co. Lomgford), Truskmore (Co. Sligo), Castlebar (Co. Mayo), Tonabrucky (Galway City) and Kilduff (Tipperary), all with usuable signals. Weak signals can also be detected on a professional meter from Mullaghanish and Mt Leinster - but I am on somewhat high gound. Truskmore analogue was never usuable here but since the new taller mast was built the digital signals are perfectly receivable using a masthead amplifier and a high gain Antiference XG8 group C/D aerial

Advertisement