Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Educate me on TV points

Options
  • 07-12-2014 7:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭

Thinking of buying a smart TV

What do I need to do to get one up and running? If there is no tv point in the house how big of a deal is it to get one set up? Do I need such a point for the basic channels and for a smart tv?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 474 ✭✭Technofobe

Thinking of buying a smart TV

What do I need to do to get one up and running? If there is no tv point in the house how big of a deal is it to get one set up? Do I need such a point for the basic channels and for a smart tv?
    Do you have broadband internet access in the house a smart tv wont be smart unless its connected to the internet
    With a good broadband connection you may be able to access the likes of eircom's evision for tv
    Or an android device to stream free to air tv from the internet

Failing that you would need a cable service from upc or someone like that
    who would come to your house and install a tv point depends on where you live if UPC serve your area

Or have a freeview system installed which would include a satelite dish and saorview aeriel connected to a combo box like the ferguson arivia
    or amiko for a once off payment of around €250 installed

• Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭winston_1

Technofobe wrote: »
    Or have a freeview system installed which would include a satelite dish and saorview aeriel connected to a combo box like the ferguson arivia
    or amiko for a once off payment of around €250 installed

You cannot get freeview from a satellite dish. Freeview is the UK equivalent of Saorview and comes from an aerial (if within range).

A Ferguson Ariva or Amiko will give free to air satellite (no Freest EPG), and Irish terrestrial but no MHEG as they are not Saoeview approved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭obezyana

winston_1 wrote: »
    You cannot get freeview from a satellite dish. Freeview is the UK equivalent of Saorview and comes from an aerial (if within range).

A Ferguson Ariva or Amiko will give free to air satellite (no Freest EPG), and Irish terrestrial but no MHEG as they are not Saoeview approved.

Hence the reason he said saorview aerial.............you being you just picked up the freeview and satellite part and put the two of them together.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭hju6

obezyana wrote: »
    Hence the reason he said saorview aerial.............you being you just picked up the freeview and satellite part and put the two of them together.

So he needs a ' freeveiw Aerial ' to get freeveiw :confused:

hju6 wrote: »
    So he needs a ' freeveiw Aerial ' to get freeveiw :confused:

His ability to pick up on something when people knew what the other poster meant is what i was referring to.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭Thurston?

There are only what, 3 commonly encountered brandnames (Saorview, Freeview, Freesat) where free-to-air TV in Ireland is concerned.

It's not asking too much for people offering advice here to get things right.

Thurston? wrote: »
    There are only what, 3 commonly encountered brandnames (Saorview, Freeview, Freesat) where free-to-air TV in Ireland is concerned.

Aaah but you 'know' what they mean though, :eek:

What about "Freesat from sky"?

What about "Freesat from sky"?

Not offered by sky in ROI

Not offered by sky in ROI

I wondered if some bright spark would come up with that. Neither Freeview nor Freest are offered there either and all such boxes are grey imports.

• Advertisement

Sometimes people get the terminology wrong which is not their fault and for the most part most regular posters here know what they mean and kind of let it slide its the same way some one might mistakenly call a Sky installer an engineer and not know they are technically in the wrong but good ole Winston comes along and looks down at them from his lofty perch to correct them in a smug kind of way and to be honest its not very nice to see him call people up on it so often. People come here for friendly advice which they usually get from the main contributors who are in know not for some one who is waiting to pounce on their lack of correct terminology.

Sometimes people get the terminology wrong which is not their fault and for the most part most regular posters here know what they mean and kind of let it slide its the same way some one might mistakenly call a Sky installer an engineer and not know they are technically in the wrong but good ole Winston comes along and looks down at them from his lofty perch to correct them in a smug kind of way and to be honest its not very nice to see him call people up on it so often. People come here for friendly advice which they usually get from the main contributors who are in know not for some one who is waiting to pounce on their lack of correct terminology.

Well it is supposedly, or it used to be a Technical forum, time for it to be moved into After hours.

Well it is supposedly, or it used to be a Technical forum, time for it to be moved into After hours.

I know what it is. The non technical people come here for advice not berating. Look all this non technical talk :) is not what this thread or forum is about so i think the topic of said poster is done for me. Hopefully the OP got what he came for.

I know what it is. The non technical people come here for advice not berating.

The guy who mentioned the 'freeview system' was offering advice, not looking for it.

Verry verry sorry to offend your delicate sensabilities

Thank you for your support
    Some people just go out of their way to create an argument out of nothing
    sad feckers who have nothing better to do
    Cheers man

To the original poster Candlegrease
    Sorry that your post has be hijacked by Winston And Thursdon who have had nothing constructive to add to to your question other than to berate a error in terminology
    Sorry man thats just the world we live in today
    Good luck :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 45,924 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Neither Freeview nor Freest are offered there either and all such boxes are grey imports.
    Oh get off your high horse before you fall and do yourself an injury.

I watch freeview every night of the week and there is nothing "grey" about my box.

Put that in your dictionary and smoke it :D

If there is no tv point in the house how big of a deal is it to get one set up?

Would depend where you want it, the construction of your house, how tidy a job you want done.

E.g. it should be fairly easy to run cables from a satellite dish &/or terrestrial aerial externally & bring them into the house through a hole in the wall. Then if you want the TV point on an internal wall, the cables could be run along woodwork. If you want all cables hidden, say brought into the attic from the aerial/dish for distribution & run within the walls, this will obviously be a bigger job if your house has no pre-installed cables, or no provision for easily retrofitting them.

A single coaxial cable can carry different signals as long as they are in different frequency bands, so there is no need to run separate cables for satellite & terrestrial.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,574 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Okay lads, stop with the bickering over terminology.

OP I'm going to close this thread but you're welcome to ask the question again and I'd ask that only those who have something constructive to add post

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement