Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gym, good idea?

Options
  • 28-07-2015 6:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    Bit of background, I am fairly unfit, but have taken it upon myself to improve things. I know diet is the most and I have cleaned it up - not perfect, but already weight lost. I joined a gym ages back, went three times - basically I was so unfit I could never get into a groove of exercise A or B for a decent amount of time.
    I feel my fitness has not really changed, I can easily walk 6/7 km at a half decent pace on flat ground no problem.

I asked in a local gym, they will do a fitness assessment for me and show me how to use the machines ( almost certain it will be some either gorgeous girl or muscle man marketing thing ). My question is,
    Is it worth me joining the gym at all at my current level of crap fitness ? I don't do running since it has caused foot pain in the past, I would be interested in bikes/rowing/cross trainer things.

For the last 5 months I have forced myself to take the long walk home from work and I have stuck to it and I enjoy it now - so I think I am able to stick to something. But I am just worried about spending a shed load of cash , getting embarrassed and not going.

Has anyone done a fitness assessment ? what is it ? Is a gym for me a good idea ? I am 29, no health issues, i have zero interest in playing sports.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,498 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Do it. There is no such thing as being too unfit to join a gym.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,817 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

You reminded of this vine I saw last night

https://vine.co/v/egLHemxajgH

You don't have to be fit to go to the gym! Why would you be embarrassed? I can tell you that anybody who is worth their salt in the gym is not paying any attention to anyone else. Every week I see someone new who hasn't been to a gym before in our class.

Check and see if the gym has a free/cheap trial period. I know in the gym I go to they have a free trial week for bootcamps and the gym.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,553 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

You don't need to pass a fitness test to join a gym.

Join and use the facilities to change your fitness. You won't regret it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭colossus-x

If the assessment is putting you off don't do it. You usually have to book an appointment to do that anyway. Just tell them you'll get back to them about it and continue to use the gym as normal. Even if it was mandatory and it probably isn't you can still just fob them off. As long as they've offered it to you and your happy not doing it there's no problem.

You just need to learn how to use the cardio machines. That should't be too much of a hurdle. You can figure it out yourself or ask the trainer. Aim to complete one cardio session on one machine and that's all you have to do to get started. Do that 3/4 times a week and before long your apprehension will be alleviated and your confidence up. Where you go from there is up to you.

As for some Adonis showing you around , when I went for my fitness assessment years ago the girl that was there to do it with me was clinically obese. I was like is this some kind of joke - but said nothing. I'm sure there was some cheeky young lad trainer having a good laugh down below in reception where the security cameras were ! But seriously when you see those uber fit ppl in the gym just remember their fit already ! It's much easier for them than it is for you especially since your starting lateish. So what your doing , or about to do, is just as if not more impressive than what they do. Well, apart from that one guy that's using up all the plates.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

You should lift weights. Do the assessment and tell them you want to learn to lift weights.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭Irishcrx

The first thing to think about are exactly what you want to get out of it, be it lose weight or get fitter and what not.

Be clear of that goal in your head. Here's the thing , it's not easy...changing your diet , routine and getting fit is not an easy thing to do, you have to really want it and know that you want it everyday, you have to fight off the niggles and doubts and what ifs and what if someone thinks this that or the other and say **** it...I'm doing this , I will do this and feck what anyone thinks. Think of the end result.

We've all felt nervous entering a gym , be it your going in there to train and lose weight and you think your fatter than the rest or your going in to lift weights for the first time and think your the weakest one in there, but look , everyone has to start somewhere and everyone in there started from scratch at some point as well. As others said , people are in there to do their own thing , mostly have headphones on and don't pay the slightest bit of attention to what other people are doing other than maybe keeping an eye equipment I need being available. In fact most decent people would just think fair play to that lad because they know it's not easy.

So before forking out cash, do the groundwork , don't waste money if you know you won't go and use it. Download myfitnesspal app and start tracking your calories , look up info online on what calories you should be eating for weight loss, do up an exercise program you can stick to and build it up from there, slowly week by week. The biggest incentive and obstacle is yourself , cliche yes but it's true.

For weight loss it really is all about the diet, exercise will help with fitness and encourage weight loss but that alone will not make the slightest bit of differance if the diet is neglegted. My sister used to go to the gym , walk around in the pool for 30 minutes , then walk on a threadmill for 10 minutes...shower and go eat an Eddie Rockets then ask why the gym wasn't working , when I explained she's actually added around 800 calories and not lost anything she gave up because she didn't want to do the hard part. If it was easy we'd all look like Thor 24/7 =)

Best of luck to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 catspirit

I find lifting weights much more enjoyable than any other exercise.

Others like going to different fitness classes which the gym runs.

I'd recommend you to give it a try, don't overthink it.

Advertisement