Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dairy Chit Chat- Please read Mod note in post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Mooooo wrote: »
    I think there is some one on twitter doing it alright. Would require more washing of cows in the parlour alright. What way has weather been on a avg the last 5 years for Nov and Dec? Tim you should go away and buy a diet feeder no hassle then :p

Diet feeder not actually the worst of ideas, would solve my lack of feed barrier space nicely also. Long term plan is to breed a cow who can hold condition without needing maize etc.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 607 ✭✭✭jack o shea

Ye lads it's dairymaster, very dry ****e il give it another go tomorrow, but the tounges are very worn , does the little bumps on the track wear as Well?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,204 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Ye lads it's dairymaster, very dry ****e il give it another go tomorrow, but the tounges are very worn , does the little bumps on the track wear as Well?
    ye you can replace track, did all mine last year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

The dry stuff is murder alright. I always keep a spare tongue just in case.

What happens mine is a build up of feed at one side throws it off the track and the tongue gets bent so I pop in the spare and go to a neighbour who heats the bent one and bends it back into shape.

Mine are in 15 years and the notches on the tracks are perfect still, it's nearly always a bent tongue or bolts coming loose on the track joiners that cause problems with mine.

whelan2 wrote: »
    ye you can replace track, did all mine last year.
    Were they in long? I just replaced the end section in mine, 10' long with a panel to turn the plate holding the tongues up or down, for 125 euro plus vat!

• Advertisement

Were they in long? I just replaced the end section in mine, 10' long with a panel to turn the plate holding the tongues up or down, for 125 euro plus vat!
    Over 10 years, I find wetting the passage down a great job with dry crap, have a tap half way along passage for this.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 607 ✭✭✭jack o shea

Mine are in about 8 years never replaced anything up til now..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

Timmaay wrote: »
    Diet feeder not actually the worst of ideas, would solve my lack of feed barrier space nicely also. Long term plan is to breed a cow who can hold condition without needing maize etc.

You'd put in feed space for 150 cows for the price of a feeder

You'd put in feed space for 150 cows for the price of a feeder

Can pick up a second hand feeder cheap enough.

Not saying anything against feeders.
    My point being buying a feeder still won't solve your feed space issue

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Not saying anything against feeders.
    My point being buying a feeder still won't solve your feed space issue

It can if 2 forages is the issue. Once a tmr is out keep it pushed in and the first cow gets the same as the last cow to eat. short on feed space here and before the feeder strong cows may eat all the maize and rest left with the silage and none fed right, at least now they all get the same. Would agree tho invest in space ahead of a feeder unless you can pick one up cheap or hire one for the few months. Esp seeing as timmay is moving away from autumn calving Spurious chains and things like that are a lot cheaper too than main brand with older machines.

Mooooo wrote: »
    It can if 2 forages is the issue. Once a tmr is out keep it pushed in and the first cow gets the same as the last cow to eat. short on feed space here and before the feeder strong cows may eat all the maize and rest left with the silage and none fed right, at least now they all get the same. Would agree tho invest in space ahead of a feeder unless you can pick one up cheap or hire one for the few months. Esp seeing as timmay is moving away from autumn calving Spurious chains and things like that are a lot cheaper too than main brand with older machines.

I'd save a few quid buying straight soya and balancing the dietary p in the feeder instead of small volumes of expensive enough 18/20% nuts, however as moo said I'm trying to move away from all this so I'm definitely not going to go out and spend 10k etc on a feeder for a few weeks of the year. All I know is at the min it's taking me the best part of 40mins to put in the maize level enough along the feed passage and into two ring feeders, and the spread afew bales over it all, and reasonably bit of shoveling etc, and some bigger cows are probably still getting more than their fair share.

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭farisfat

A few grand will buy keenan feeders at the moment

I'll have 200ft feed space in here for under 2k by this time next year. yard under it will cost a lot more but that's a very big area we're concreting so not a fair comparison.
    All in I'll have space to feed near 200 head if I need to but idea is to keep the cows in the one area and not be mucking up yards

• Registered Users Posts: 11,102 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

I'll have 200ft feed space in here for under 2k by this time next year. yard under it will cost a lot more but that's a very big area we're concreting so not a fair comparison.
    All in I'll have space to feed near 200 head if I need to but idea is to keep the cows in the one area and not be mucking up yards

200 spaces including feed barriers ,concrete etc for under 2 k ?????

mahoney_j wrote: »

I'll have feed space for 55 in an existing shed
    The new 200 ft will have some barriers from existing feed space that's being moved, will put rest in as straight pipes. That 2k doesn't include the concrete they'll stand on just the feeding passage itself. The concrete it'll be on is part of reconcreteing an existing yard so hard to quantify it

mahoney_j wrote: »

200ft. Unless them jex only need a ft each ha? But he said not including concrete.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Keepgrowing

200ft. Unless them jex only need a ft each ha? But he said not including concrete.

350 foot feed pad done here last year €10k.
    That's digger, filling, concrete H irons and straight bar. All work done ourselves and that figure includes our own labour

• Registered Users Posts: 6,135 ✭✭✭kowtow

90 + vat a length at dairy power from memory. I did a load a year or two back.

Now need to find a motor saddle + control for a second passage... have the track more or less.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭mf240

I'd prefer to put in enough space for them all to eat at once. Even with a diet feeder they have to wait their turn if not enough space. Put in an extra but last year and it's just concrete yard and a couple of neckrails beside an existing shed . Run the slurry into the slats with a 135 and scraper and do a couple of passages with it as well. Cheap and cheerful.

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Signpost

My biggest problem with a feeder is you need a second tractor / loader. Atm I've a good tractor & loader that I keep fresh. Have a quad for fertiliser and a a small tractor that started about 5 times this year, usually because it was in the way. Drop the loader in minutes and can do all the work I need it to, loader on it feeds everything in the sheds etc. Even to get a tub feeder cheap prob talking 10k+ (guess, feel free to correct me), your definitely talking another 15 / 30 k to have the tractor to drive it for mixing it & in most instance your still going to be buying in your beet etc. As much as I would fail to see a fault in what they are doing its hard to justify the expense at the same time!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,122 ✭✭✭visatorro

I'm kinda boxed in when it comes to feeding space. so feeder was a simple option I suppose. Handy second hand machine. No crazy money involved. Plenty of work with it. One tractor operation. Pit silage and straw. Bit of meal.

It's like everything else, looking in from the outside. Some lads are cow starvers, some lads are machinery mad. Do whatever suits yourself. Not perfect here but still cheap and cheerful.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,942 ✭✭✭alps

visatorro wrote: »
    I'm kinda boxed in when it comes to feeding space. so feeder was a simple option I suppose. Handy second hand machine. No crazy money involved. Plenty of work with it. One tractor operation. Pit silage and straw. Bit of meal.

It's like everything else, looking in from the outside. Some lads are cow starvers, some lads are machinery mad. Do whatever suits yourself. Not perfect here but still cheap and cheerful.
    We havent enough feed space here, have to feed twice a day. Plan to knock exsisting sheds in 2017 and rebuild so that we only have to feed once a day. Feeder is a 170 , 12 years old-bought new- tractor that runs it is a 2000 tn125 and a 1998 jcb loads it. Any money I have will go in to new buildings and roadways, no shiny metal disease here. Feeder is great as oh can fill it every other day and I run it along when he's not here. Only milkers are fed with feeder , rest get bales. Bring feeder to outfarm full once a week

Talking about feed barriers, anyone know where I'd get galvanised feed bars, just the 3inch pipe, usual 16ft length, in the south east area preferably.

Talking about feed barriers, anyone know where I'd get galvanised feed bars, just the 3inch pipe, usual 16ft length, in the south east area preferably.

Any steel supplier.
    Ivor Murphy in Enniscorthy will have them too but he'll have his bit on them.
    40e a 20ft length

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭pedigree 6

Right that's everything dried off this morning.

Time now to do the paperwork and get the angle grinder and welder going again.
    Wohoo.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 21,166 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Boys and their toys, Ped. Enjoy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,897 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

Timmaay wrote:

Crowd in South tipp, I'll try to get the name for u later

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement