Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Exercise Bike Routines

Options
  • 26-07-2015 8:49am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 103 ✭✭

Hi guys

Recently invested in a very decent exercise bike.

Roughly speaking I've been doing 3 x 45 minute sessions a day on it on the highest resistance. Since I've started using it body fat has dropped from 22% to 15% and I've lost just under a stone in a month (13st 6 to 12st 8).

I don't know much about working out so I'm just asking do I continue with this or do I look to do something different? (am planning on investing in weights)

Thanks

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 103 ✭✭Nom De Guerre

Anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,554 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

You could do interval training on it. Warm up for 5 minutes, 30 second sprint, 60 second recovery. For 15-20 rounds.

You could do interval training on it. Warm up for 5 minutes, 30 second sprint, 60 second recovery. For 15-20 rounds.

Sounds good, I'll give it a go after work

• Registered Users Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭caviardreams

You might find some good ideas on this forum too - different profiles etc. you can try:
    pedal-on.com/forum.php

You should be aiming to keep your cadence in the 70-110 range generally, depending on whether you are doing sprints or 'climbs' (high resistance)

You might find some good ideas on this forum too - different profiles etc. you can try:
    pedal-on.com/forum.php

You should be aiming to keep your cadence in the 70-110 range generally, depending on whether you are doing sprints or 'climbs' (high resistance)

Cheers for that :)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31 24 Hours From Tulsa

Pedal-on is a great shout

• Registered Users Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭siochain

There is some good apps for phones out there, one called spinning for iPhone is ok, you can connect s HR strap to it and do all sorts of routines on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭CamperMan

3 x 45 min sessions a day... how do you do it?

after 60 minutes on a turbo trainer.. that's it for me.. the boredom gets to me

• Registered Users Posts: 2 HectorWright

Stationary Bike
    Warm up for 3-5 minutes: I usually have the resistance at a medium level so if its on a 1-20 scale I keep my warm-up and recovery time at around 10-12. When it comes time to do the intense interval, I bump it up to 15-18. Know that I am very fit and have been doing this for years, so if you are starting from ground zero don't go this intensely unless you want to throw up after your attempt.
    30 seconds high intensity, 1 minute low intensity (repeat 4 times)
    40 seconds high intensity, 1 minute low intensity (repeat 4 times)
    30 seconds high intensity, 1 minute low intensity (repeat 4 times)

New Zealand researchers had competitive cyclists complete 4 weeks of HIIT training involving 30-second sprints on a stationary cycle separated by 30 seconds of rest. One group sprinted with high resistance on the pedals, making it harder to pedal, while the other group used a lighter resistance, which was easier to peddle.

Both groups peddled as fast as they could during the 30-second sprints. They found that the men peddling at the highest resistance increased their testosterone levels by almost 100 percent, while the group peddling at a lighter resistance only increased test levels by about 60 percent. Since testosterone is critical for boosting muscle size and strength, doing HIIT with greater resistance may aid muscle growth and strength.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,819 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

We got a spin bike last week too and I've used it once with the Global Cycling Network videos guiding me through. They have HIIT sessions and fat burning sessions

I did the 20 minute sprint session and the sweat was dripping off me after and I'm not a sweater!

Here's a 40 minute one

• Advertisement
Advertisement