Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

keeping pigs

Options
  • 24-07-2015 3:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭

Just received our herd number today and am wondering if I buy pigs with a tag already in them from another owner do I have to remove that tag and replace it with my own???

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,152 ✭✭✭✭Base price

No. The seller should give you one part of a three part (carbon copy) movement form with his details and your herd number and the number of pigs sold/purchased. He retains one copy and the third copy is sent to the Dept.
    You should have received a pack from the Dept with a booklet of movement forms and another blank form to record movements in and out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭hollowpoint

Base price wrote: »
    No. The seller should give you one part of a three part (carbon copy) movement form with his details and your herd number and the number of pigs sold/purchased. He retains one copy and the third copy is sent to the Dept.
    You should have received a pack from the Dept with a booklet of movement forms and another blank form to record movements in and out.

Yep I received the booklet but wasn't sure if I had to remove the pigs tag with the old owners number and replace it with mine

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭Askim

Just received our herd number today and am wondering if I buy pigs with a tag already in them from another owner do I have to remove that tag and replace it with my own???

If you are just keeping pigs for fattening, then you don't need to tag them, I bought tags and a tagger, but have never used them.
    I just slap mark each of them on both shoulders with my herd number and off they go.

It also prevents a sneaky butcher swapping you're pigs.

A

So have finally received 2 piglets of 9 weeks of age, what meal would I be best feeding?

So have finally received 2 piglets of 9 weeks of age, what meal would I be best feeding?
    Sow and weaner meal would be the most popular but it will make your pigs expensive if you only feed it. I used to feed it with soaked rolled barley and veg/ potatoes/windfall apples (they never liked onions or citrus fruits) Also they had access to paddocks of about a quarter of an acre so could graze as they wished.
    I think that a varied diet makes for nicer pork otherwise you may as well just buy a commercially reared one.

• Advertisement

Sow and weaner meal would be the most popular but it will make your pigs expensive if you only feed it. I used to feed it with soaked rolled barley and veg/ potatoes/windfall apples (they never liked onions or citrus fruits) Also they had access to paddocks of about a quarter of an acre so could graze as they wished.
    I think that a varied diet makes for nicer pork otherwise you may as well just buy a commercially reared one.

Great thanks! Years ago we reared and slaughtered our own pigs for just the family food and now myself and the future wife have got some land of our own we want to do it ourselves aswell. We have them penned in a section of 30 mtrs x 30 mtrs but we have 5 acres for them to roam in time, just want to get them settled in and off to a good start, plenty of veg and apples to come from the orchard we have and polytunnel. Lamb or 2 for the freezer will be next on the list.

Good for you. If you can get them trained to the electric fence while they are in the pen then you will be able to allow them to have an area to graze in the field. You can move the fence from time to time to prevent them intensively rooting up the one area. I preferred the white tape as they could see it more easy and keep away.
    What breed did you get and are the gilts/boars or barrows?

Good for you. If you can get them trained to the electric fence while they are in the pen then you will be able to allow them to have an area to graze in the field. You can move the fence from time to time to prevent them intensively rooting up the one area. I preferred the white tape as they could see it more easy and keep away.
    What breed did you get and are the gilts/boars or barrows?

We got 2 9 week old females, glostershire old spot x landrace

• Registered Users Posts: 18,476 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Askim wrote: »
    If you are just keeping pigs for fattening, then you don't need to tag them, I bought tags and a tagger, but have never used them.
    I just slap mark each of them on both shoulders with my herd number and off they go.

It also prevents a sneaky butcher swapping you're pigs.

A

we don't slap mark and id expect most smalholders don't have the tools to do it..

Just tag the ears when they are young and its no bother...

Our slaughter house won't take them in if your herd number isnt tagged in their ear.

Advertisement