Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Creatine makes me feel so sick, why?

Options
  • 22-07-2015 9:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 421 ✭✭

Bought the ON Creatine powder. It was recommended to me, to take 5.5 scoops (20g) for the first 5 days and then 1 scoop (3.6g) thereafter.

I was told it would be best to take the loading dose in 2 separate servings a day instead of the 5.5 scoops together. I took 2.5 scoops in my protein shake and after about 20 minutes I started to feel very unwell. Has this happened to anyone else?

I then decided to read up about it online and read that the loading phase in a lot of peoples opinion is unnecessary. Should I try it again with just the 1 scoop (the maintenance dose)?

I had chills, hands were shaking, skin felt like it was crawling and my stomach felt like it was going to heave. Had to lie down for over an hour until I felt at all normal again and even after that I felt weak and not near 100%. Wasn't expecting that kind of reaction at all. I took a serving of Jack 3D a couple of years ago and had a reaction like that but I was sure it was the caffeine dose or pre-workout formula that caused it so I can't understand why something as popular as creatine reacted so badly with me.

I know there are probably tonnes of threads on creatine but couldn't find one on feeling sick. Any help much appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,553 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

When it causes an upset stomach, it's usually because of a lot taken in one go (for that particular person). You don't need to load up on it so you could just do one scoop. Maybe take it with or after eating as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 421 ✭✭tomhenryford

When it causes an upset stomach, it's usually because of a lot taken in one go (for that particular person). You don't need to load up on it so you could just do one scoop. Maybe take it with or after eating as well.

Thanks for that. I'll have to try it again after buying it so I'll try the 1 scoop and if that's ok I'll stick with that. I would have been in some state if I took the 5.5 scoops in one go :(

It's referenced on examine.com - if you look at the section on 'How To Take' (and there's a Caution Note above it about nausea) it gives a bit of guidance on it.

And you don't need to load.

It's referenced on examine.com - if you look at the section on 'How To Take' (and there's a Caution Note above it about nausea) it gives a bit of guidance on it.

And you don't need to load.

Great thanks, I'll have a read of that now. Just took 1 scoop in a glass of OJ, see how I get on...

Really good article, not near finished it but read that it says 'creatine acts as a reservoir for phosphate' so does that means I could take it at any time during the day and it will still work efficiently without having to specifically take it pre/post workout?

• Advertisement

Really good article, not near finished it but read that it says 'creatine acts as a reservoir for phosphate' so does that means I could take it at any time during the day and it will still work efficiently without having to specifically take it pre/post workout?

That's covered in the When Should I Take Creatine section :D

That's covered in the When Should I Take Creatine section :D

Found it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 27 thevillaman

Hi The first time I took Creatine I got this feeling sick it's because I was taking too much of it and didn't have enough information about it did your protein shake have L glutamine because these to fight against each other to work. Making you feel sick ok I started using creatine to put on some weight as I was really skinny at age 20 I was 8 1/2 stone mixed a few proteins to gather to get up to 17 1/2 stone. I mixed creatine, insures, mass building proteins and complan drink all in one container now I am at 13 stone and drinking creatine twice a day one 4mg before the gym one 4mg after the gym and just drinking creatine on its own 200ml of water and if you want to mix something to Boost insulin levels just add cinnamon that's if you're not allergic because adding drinks sugary drinks that beats the purpose of losing weight and getting muscle. Split up the intake of creatine and
    L-glutamine throughout the day
    Hopefully this will help you

• Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

Could just be personal taste. Worth trying changing how you take it, but I don't think it suits everyone at least not by the spoonful. Never tolerated Creatine in any quantity years ago, no matter what, I tried I found it incredibly gritty. I also found glutamine incredibly salty, saltier than salt, salty, there's a tongue twister. For me glutamine is to salt, as saccharine is to sugar. Think I am a super taster, still go crazy for spicy food.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 thevillaman

These companies that sell the creatine want you to take a bodybuilders amount when you're just a beginner A few years in the gym just so you take more so your buy more faster I find that the Russian and German Creatine's is the best one. Ask yours supplement shop for Russian or German creatine because they will sell you the worst one just to sell it of their shelves

• Advertisement

Thanks for the replies everyone. I haven't had any problem with the creatine since I stopped the loading dose. I just take the 5mg scoop once a day now and I have no problem.

I bought the ON powder in the green and black tub, I heard a lot of people say creatine is hard to take in general as it can be very gritty but in fairness this one dissolves on 1 stir and I don't taste it and no grit.

Stopped putting it in the protein shake also, have it in my OJ first thing in the morning.

Don't know if it's doing any good though :/ Someone else I was talking to on Friday said I should be taking amino acids or bcaas as well. I'll be skint at this rate!

Advertisement