Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

exercise at home

Options
  • 21-07-2015 9:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14

hi,
    does anyone have any ideas for exercise i can do at home mainly for general fitness and ideally for weight loss to accompany diet.

it would be in the early mornings so i need a silent routine!

i was thinking about getting a cross trainer but my budget is about €200 so this might not be possible... to get one that's any good.

i have an exercise bike. i dont use it because i find the saddle gets uncomfortable after a while.

i was doing 3 thirty minute jogging sessions on the treadmill a week but i'm going back to work soon so this is no longer possible due to the noise.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Design78

I found Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred DVD good when I was short on time and needed to do something at home, if your not restricted to staying in the house you could go for a 30 min run.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Digger35

Design78 wrote: »
    I found Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred DVD good when I was short on time and needed to do something at home, if your not restricted to staying in the house you could go for a 30 min run.

thanks. i didnt think of an exercise dvd. i could do that in the sitting room alright no prob and its much cheaper than a cross trainer.

id love to go for a run but but id be afraid of dodging cars, neighbours spotting me and dogs chasing me! .. maybe one day when i can run a bit faster :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Alter_Ego

Define silent. Most exercise bikes and cross trainers actually make a sound when they're being used. Budget wise, I have a cross trainer for sale at 50 euro (which is half of what I paid for it new few months ago).

Cross trainers are good for general fitness, as you exercise a lot of muscles at the same time. Despite popular belief (cardio is best for weight loss), the best way to loose weight is to vary your exercise and mix cardio (e.g. cross trainer) with some more intense training (like weights or good old sit ups/push ups/pull ups).

A lot of gyms open early and last time I checked Ben Dunne had a deal where you can just 'pay as you go' 20 EUR per month, I wouldn't exclude that option if you have one nearby.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Digger35

Alter_Ego wrote: »
    Define silent. Most exercise bikes and cross trainers actually make a sound when they're being used. Budget wise, I have a cross trainer for sale at 50 euro (which is half of what I paid for it new few months ago).

Cross trainers are good for general fitness, as you exercise a lot of muscles at the same time. Despite popular belief (cardio is best for weight loss), the best way to loose weight is to vary your exercise and mix cardio (e.g. cross trainer) with some more intense training (like weights or good old sit ups/push ups/pull ups).

A lot of gyms open early and last time I checked Ben Dunne had a deal where you can just 'pay as you go' 20 EUR per month, I wouldn't exclude that option if you have one nearby.

not silent, but not too loud to wake other occupants up.

why are you selling the cross trainer?

the affordable nearest gym would put me in peak traffic before work so i would prefer to stay at home. sure i will see how i get on.

thanks for the reply :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭thegreatescape

Check out FitnessBlender on YouTube! I use them for when I'm in the mood for working out at home. They're free and they have hundreds of videos including silent ones.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Alter_Ego

I'm selling the cross trainer due to lack of use. We bought it for my wife, but it turns out she prefers an exercise bike, so now I have a cross trainer for sale. I don't use the cross trainer, weights and basketball are my weapons of choice

• Registered Users Posts: 4,185 ✭✭✭Snoopy1

I do all my exercise at home, and i like it more than the gym.
    I use fitness blender on youtube, they are an absolute killer.
    Jillian Michaels, is great, but hard.
    I also do the 10 minute solution dvd's and Tae Bo
    All found on youtube

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

I wear my headphones and put on the cardio playlist on spotify and blast it loud! 10 three minute songs dancing freestyle and having fun, 30 minutes of solid sweaty exercise. Exercise done for the day, if Im feeling very energetic Ill do 20 mins of skipping along with it but you wanted a silent routine and skipping is quite loud on the wooden floor in my home.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

30 day shred is excellent, the first level is available on YouTube if you want to try it out. I also use the fitness blender kettlebells workouts, Jessica Smith's channel for cardio and Sean vigue for yoga. YouTube is brilliant for stuff like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Adam4850

Although it is not quiet, learn how to skip as it is cheap and burns off a lot of fat, I used to do 15 minutes in the morning just outside the door very effective to say the least.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Nichololas

Adam4850 wrote: »
    Although it is not quiet, learn how to skip as it is cheap and burns off a lot of fat, I used to do 15 minutes in the morning just outside the door very effective to say the least.

Quieter than a treadmill/elliptical though.

My vote is skipping -> jogging (when you feel comfortable with it) + a bodyweight routine. Cheap as anything, quiet, and there are fairly large online communities you can ask for help with specifics of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 ESBPadraig

Youtube videos are great, Mike Chan's core workout is good 20 minute workout with no equipment except a towl needed, it's prety tough too!

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭daithi1970

..fold a hand towel and put that on your saddle-seems a bit obvious,but it works for me :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

Kettlebells can be quiet provided you don't drop them!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,185 ✭✭✭Snoopy1

I've just found a new one on YouTube. It's by body project, and it's circuit training. Have never sweated so much

Advertisement