Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

John Clarke returns to Radio Nova

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 297 ✭✭John Joe Jones

heybaby wrote: »
    Looks like Rte are playing hardball with Nova and Clarke

http://www.thejournal.ie/radio-nova-rte-john-clarke-2235887-Jul2015/

Rather pathetic of RTE, I very much doubt they have any copyright on the name "Ireland's biggest Jukebox"

• Registered Users Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

So the "Worlds biggest jukebox" wont be heard on the worlds biggers jokebox....devastating...:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,633 ✭✭✭Red Fred

Storm in a teacup or rather a jukebox. Good publicity for Nova though.

Red Fred wrote: »
    Storm in a teacup or rather a jukebox. Good publicity for Nova though.

Exactly, their lawyers would have told them to expect this.....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,452 ✭✭✭ford fiesta

John is only filling in for one show on Nova that is usually called Solid Gold Sunday, why couldnt Nova have kept this name for the one off show? It will attract the same listenership either way.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 450 ✭✭RomanKnows

I presume John Clarke will be joining the station on a permanent basis though? He's made for a prime slot on the station. He needs an audience, and Nova needs an audience.

Not my sort of thing, but he's very good at what he does.

RomanKnows wrote: »
    I presume John Clarke will be joining the station on a permanent basis though?

I doubt he'll be invited back to Montrose any time soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,029 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Rather pathetic of RTE, I very much doubt they have any copyright on the name "Ireland's biggest Jukebox"

Promos are still going out for Ireland's Biggest Jukebox, in spite of this injunction. Shows how worried Nova management must be :)

Why no JC ? He could have just done the shift under the regularly scheduled classic Gold Sunday title.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭StaticNoise

Has anyone got a copy of the statement made are 10am?
    I'd love to hear what was said. I take it that he's not on this morning?

• Advertisement

Has anyone got a copy of the statement made are 10am?
    I'd love to hear what was said. I take it that he's not on this morning?

You didn't miss anything. It was just the same statement as they've ran since yesterday bar for a shuffle of the words and a claim that they co-operated fully with the injunction and that they hope to get Clarke on air soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Ernie Gallagher

Maybe I've stayed quiet about this for too long, but if anybody's entitled to ownership over the 'biggest jukebox' concept it's probably me.
    Back in the mid eighties, while working on Energy 103, I had an idea for a Sunday morning/afternoon show. The idea/claim was that we at Energy had a jukebox that contained any song anybody wanted to hear. My title for the show: 'The Biggest Jukebox In Dublin'. I approached Pat Courtenay and Tony McKenzie, who both loved the concept and gave it the green light (I asked for, and Pat produced, some great effects of a coin dropping into the jukebox and a needle and crackles etc before each requested song started). This was obviously the pre-Adobe era and recording and editing calls wasn't as easy as it is today, so they way it worked was: I'd take a caller, put 'em on hold while someone ran down to the library on the floor below and brought up the requested track. Quick live chat on air, Pat's sound effects and hey presto! Their song within seconds.
    The show proved popular but was unfortunately short-lived as the famous pirate clamp down of the 80s was due to be enforced. Energy didn't survive, and within months of closing a show called 'Ireland's Biggest Jukebox' started its long run with a similar format and in the exact same time slot on 2FM. Coincidence? Who knows.
    Request shows, even in the mid-eighties, were nothing new, though the 'jukebox' concept was; and while I'm not saying who owns what concept or title, all I am saying is that there's a little radio history some of you may or may not have been aware of. Thirty years on, it would be nice to at least get some acknowledgement of the part some of us played in the development of one of the most popular Irish radio shows of all time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,452 ✭✭✭ford fiesta

Century Radio had a show called 'Irelands Biggest Jukebox', not sure who presented it.

Gareth O'Callaghan on 2FM had a similar idea of finding a song when someone rang in on his 2FM around 1990, I think it was called 'Beat the jock'.

'Ireland's Biggest Jukebox' started in 2FM in 1999 with Simon Young on Sunday lunchtime, replacing a short lived programme 'Maloney at the weekend' (Mike), then John Clarke took over in 2001.

Now i'm afraid to even type "j***box" in case i get sued......:rolleyes::P

• Registered Users Posts: 6,009 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

Maybe I've stayed quiet about this for too long, but if anybody's entitled to ownership over the 'biggest jukebox' concept it's probably me.
    Back in the mid eighties, while working on Energy 103, I had an idea for a Sunday morning/afternoon show. The idea/claim was that we at Energy had a jukebox that contained any song anybody wanted to hear. My title for the show: 'The Biggest Jukebox In Dublin'. I approached Pat Courtenay and Tony McKenzie, who both loved the concept and gave it the green light (I asked for, and Pat produced, some great effects of a coin dropping into the jukebox and a needle and crackles etc before each requested song started). This was obviously the pre-Adobe era and recording and editing calls wasn't as easy as it is today, so they way it worked was: I'd take a caller, put 'em on hold while someone ran down to the library on the floor below and brought up the requested track. Quick live chat on air, Pat's sound effects and hey presto! Their song within seconds.
    The show proved popular but was unfortunately short-lived as the famous pirate clamp down of the 80s was due to be enforced. Energy didn't survive, and within months of closing a show called 'Ireland's Biggest Jukebox' started its long run with a similar format and in the exact same time slot on 2FM. Coincidence? Who knows.
    Request shows, even in the mid-eighties, were nothing new, though the 'jukebox' concept was; and while I'm not saying who owns what concept or title, all I am saying is that there's a little radio history some of you may or may not have been aware of. Thirty years on, it would be nice to at least get some acknowledgement of the part some of us played in the development of one of the most popular Irish radio shows of all time.

Ernie was also with the other '80s Nova, albeit briefly.

As has been said already, could John not present "Classic Gold Sunday" instead? Okay, I guess it's all about name recognition. A subtle name change, perhaps, to avoid legal action? Rocks' Biggest Jukebox, for example! Or how about Ireland's Biggest Selection Box!

By the way, I am having difficulty finding a program with that name associated with Century Radio. I know that Robbie Irwin presented a request show on Sunday afternoons - was that the one in question?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Clam

Ernie was also with the other '80s Nova, albeit briefly.

As has been said already, could John not present "Classic Gold Sunday" instead? Okay, I guess it's all about name recognition. A subtle name change, perhaps, to avoid legal action? Rocks' Biggest Jukebox, for example! Or how about Ireland's Biggest Selection Box!

By the way, I am having difficulty finding a program with that name associated with Century Radio. I know that Robbie Irwin presented a request show on Sunday afternoons - was that the one in question?

PR stunt. Nothing more.
    Nothing to stop JC appearing on Nova.
    Could call it "Dublin's biggest Jukebox".
    Who cares?

Century Radio had a show called 'Irelands Biggest Jukebox', not sure who presented it.

Aidan Leonard presented it from 1PM-3PM as part of the Saturday morning show. When the football season kicked off it wrapped up at 2PM; a whole 60 minutes of a gig!

Gareth O'Callaghan on 2FM had a similar idea of finding a song when someone rang in on his 2FM around 1990, I think it was called 'Beat the Jock'.

Was that Dial a Number 1? It started on Millenium Radio with Declan Meehan but think it transferred to RTE 2FM when Milleneum closed. Think it was then presented by Robbie Irwin and possibly G O'C.

Was that Dial a Number 1? It started on Millenium Radio with Declan Meehan but think it transferred to RTE 2FM when Milleneum closed. Think it was then presented by Robbie Irwin and possibly G O'C.

Dial a Number one was presented by Gerry Wilson when it was on 2FM

• Advertisement

Dial a Number one was presented by Gerry Wilson when it was on 2FM

Was it renamed Dial a Favourite at some stage?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,948 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Fuzzy Clam wrote: »
    PR stunt. Nothing more.
    Who cares?

Based on 2FM having to drop their "2FM Alarm Clock" name attempt when Hayes/JimJim went over, that might still be too close.

Surely if the show was to go ahead on Nova they would have to rename it "irelands smallest jukebox" anyway......;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,009 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

Surely if the show was to go ahead on Nova they would have to rename it "irelands smallest jukebox" anyway......;)

If they really want John Clarke, they might loosen their playlist somewhat!

Edit: If his program was placed immediately before Pat James ("Off the Record"), you could have a whole Sunday evening of free rein in the music selection.

If they really want John Clarke, they might loosen their playlist somewhat!

Edit: If his program was placed immediately before Pat James ("Off the Record"), you could have a whole Sunday evening of free rein in the music selection.

Yeah...but Pat would have to supply all the music from his vast collection, love to hear Pat on a decent station in a decent slot.......;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1 TruthTeller55

Yeah...but Pat would have to supply all the music from his vast collection, love to hear Pat on a decent station in a decent slot.......;)

Thats the funniest post I've seen all day!!!

Was it renamed Dial a Favourite at some stage?

It may well have been, yeah, as that name does ring a bell with me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭total former

Fuzzy Clam wrote: »
    PR stunt. Nothing more.
    Who cares?

If they'd called it that, or indeed anything else, there would have been no issue. But they didn't.

Advertisement