Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coombe or Rotunda Semi-Private

Options
  • 15-07-2015 11:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Just wondering which people think is the best of these hospitals for maternity care? Thinking of going semi-private and have heard good things about both hospitals.

Does either provide similar services and care? Anything stick out?

Also has anyone gone for the consultant-led semi-private care in the Rotunda, is Wednesday evening the only option? I can't do Wednesday evenings due to college classes.

Any help/advise would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Dapos

Also, what are your opinions on semi-private vs private?

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭theLuggage

Like you have heard good things about both.

I've been to the Coombe and am attending again. Friends and family have been in the Rotunda and they were happy overall as well.

I went private in the Coombe and was very happy with my consultant, the care, midwives etc. I'm not sure how semi-private works exactly but private you have the same consultant each visit which was a big plus for me. Private room was available after the birth as well which I liked too (though it does depend on whether one is available, they had a lot free in the Coombe the last time I was in. Have heard stories about semi-private being given private rooms because they were empty so you could be lucky that way too). I also found the midwives a bit more attentive when my consultant was around - for instance I was being told I wouldn't be induced until evening (having been waiting since 7 in the morning), my consultant appeared around 12 and said you'll be up in an hour. Don't think that would have happened if I hadn't a particular dr looking after me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

As an alternative check out the domino scheme.

Just to note that should you think the consultant will be there for the birth he probably won't be...holidays..golf etc
    We considered going SP in the rotunda but went public instead. Both were difficult pregnancies but the care was faultless.

We Spent more time in emergency than the clinics. The secret with the clinics was to get an early appointment and be there an hour before check in. Meant you got an early number when the desk opened and were out quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭Flippyfloppy

I've been to the Coombe both public and semi private and I'm going back again semi private. It was a nice experience both times- the staff are really nice.

Do check out what areas the domino schemes in each hospital serve and how this relates to where you live. Also I think the Coombe has parking where as I'm not too sure about rotunda.

As far as I know, the Coombe have changed their appointment times. Instead of giving everyone for example 8.30am appointments, they have more specific times now. Plus you can't check in 15 minutes before or half hour after. The idea is there's not a big crowd left waiting.

When I was semi private I had dr Fitzpatrick, I saw him on the first and last visit and other consultants in his team in the intervening visits. That was fine, except booking in for a section was frustrating as they all said surgery day was a different day and had minor time differences about when it would be done , but we got there in the end!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

I had a great experience in the Coombe, I went private and loved my consultant. It is expensive though! Even though I had no real complications during the pregnancy I'll still go private with her next time

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭spring21

Roughly how much will cost for semiprivate in the coombe ? This is my first pregnancy at 41 after a very long road ! I would love to go private but we just can't afford it .myself I am thinking to go public and to use that money for the baby but then I am thinking because of my age I may need extra care . I really dont know the difference between private -semiprivate - public . I would appreciate some advice , please😊

• Closed Accounts Posts: 563 ✭✭✭wdmfapq4zs83hv

spring21 wrote: »
    Roughly how much will cost for semiprivate in the coombe ? This is my first pregnancy at 41 after a very long road ! I would love to go private but we just can't afford it .myself I am thinking to go public and to use that money for the baby but then I am thinking because of my age I may need extra care . I really dont know the difference between private -semiprivate - public . I would appreciate some advice , please😊

Semi private in the Coombe is 750 at the moment.

Going SP doesn't guarantee you a SP room. It depends on availability.

Going SP doesn't guarantee you a SP room. It depends on availability.

On the other side of the coin, you can end up in a private room as a semi private patient. As long as you have health insurance and it allows for a private room in public hospital. Check what your health insurance will pay for semi private care, most will pay for everything but consultant fees, as another poster said they are 750 semi private at the moment. Scans are additional on top of this.

On the other side of the coin, you can end up in a private room as a semi private patient. As long as you have health insurance and it allows for a private room in public hospital. Check what your health insurance will pay for semi private care, most will pay for everything but consultant fees, as another poster said they are 750 semi private at the moment. Scans are additional on top of this.

Thank you , unfortunately I don't have anymore health insurance but I have a medical card . Would the medical card help me in any way ?

• Advertisement

Thank you , unfortunately I don't have anymore health insurance but I have a medical card . Would the medical card help me in any way ?

I'm Cant be certain but I don't think so. You can ring the accounts department in the Coombe, the women there are lovely and will be straight up about the costs & differences. Tbh there's very little difference between semi private & public. I did both and they were the same, Except different waiting rooms ( granted the public one can be a little fuller) When I was public I was lucky to be in a room with four beds, and semi private I got a private room but to be honest it was very solitary.

Regarding the quality of medical care received it will be exactly the same! Same consultants, same midwifes, same labour ward.

The last time I was in I got the impression from some of the private patients that they have more of a 1:1 relationship with their consultant...they're less of a number! I think the consultant fees for private even with health insurance is 3,500/4,000, so that's probably why!

I'm Cant be certain but I don't think so. You can ring the accounts department in the Coombe, the women there are lovely and will be straight up about the costs & differences. Tbh there's very little difference between semi private & public. I did both and they were the same, Except different waiting rooms ( granted the public one can be a little fuller) When I was public I was lucky to be in a room with four beds, and semi private I got a private room but to be honest it was very solitary.

Regarding the quality of medical care received it will be exactly the same! Same consultants, same midwifes, same labour ward.

The last time I was in I got the impression from some of the private patients that they have more of a 1:1 relationship with their consultant...they're less of a number! I think the consultant fees for private even with health insurance is 3,500/4,000, so that's probably why!
    Thanks a mill 😊 i will give them a ring ! I can't afford to go private but I'm thinking of going semiprivate just because of my age ( maybe I shouldn't think this way ) yet I don't know if this will make a difference as you said you received exactly the same care and this is the most important thing ! I'm thinking to go for a private scan at around 9 weeks can you recomend any in Dublin or Kerry ?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

Thanks a mill 😊 i will give them a ring ! I can't afford to go private but I'm thinking of going semiprivate just because of my age ( maybe I shouldn't think this way ) yet I don't know if this will make a difference as you said you received exactly the same care and this is the most important thing ! I'm thinking to go for a private scan at around 9 weeks can you recomend any in Dublin or Kerry ?

Spring21 can go go semi private for consultant and not be billed for accommodation??? This is what I would be terrified of :eek:
    The €750 is because health insurance pay the rest
    http://www.coombe.ie/content/files/V1_Hospital_Charges_2015.pdf

Millem wrote: »
    Spring21 can go go semi private for consultant and not be billed for accommodation??? This is what I would be terrified of :eek:
    The €750 is because health insurance pay the rest
    http://www.coombe.ie/content/files/V1_Hospital_Charges_2015.pdf
    Oh , thanks a mill for the link ! After all I think my only option is to go public , you are right €750 is because of insurance adding up all the other fees goes over 3 grant , maybe more !

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

If you don't have health insurance don't even consider going semi private or private. You could end up paying a lot.

lazygal wrote: »
    If you don't have health insurance don't even consider going semi private or private. You could end up paying a lot.

Thank you , lazygal. I'm after reading the 76 pages of the August due forum and I feel better now . Next step now is to ring the hospital .

We went public on 2 in the rotunda. My wife even got upgraded to a semi private room after the birth of our first. We had a nice midwife:)

The only difference is the clinic and the possibility of a room. Everything else is the same as public and chances are you'll be out in 24 hours or less.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭bovril

lazygal wrote:

You can still go semi private in the Coombe and pick a public bed option and you pay the 750 and scan fees. The scan fees are up to a maximum of 400e. As said above ring admissions, they are really friendly and explain everything. In the Coombe you get different forms for your consultant care and bed request. If you pick private care I think you have to go with private bed care.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

The bed selection form in the Coombe specifically says if you are private or sp you cannot choose a public bed - it's in bold down the bottom.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭bovril

The bed selection form in the Coombe specifically says if you are private or sp you cannot choose a public bed - it's in bold down the bottom.

I thought you could if you are semi private but I stand corrected if that's the case.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

bovril wrote: »
    You can still go semi private in the Coombe and pick a public bed option and you pay the 750 and scan fees. The scan fees are up to a maximum of 400e. As said above ring admissions, they are really friendly and explain everything. In the Coombe you get different forms for your consultant care and bed request. If you pick private care I think you have to go with private bed care.

I'd be really surprised if the system works that way because hospitals want the revenue from insurance companies paying for accommodation.

You can also do combined care, it's what a lot of people opt for. If you do this you will alternate between your gp and your consultant. It can be useful instead of having to travel & it's good if you have a good relationship with your gp. The midwifes scheme are also another possibility, where you're under a consultant but see the midwifes for the majority of your visits.

I think without the health insurance semi private would cost a few grand. On my first pregnancy I didn't know this, and tang Holles street querying prices without health insurance. The women on the phone was lovely, even though I nearly made her choke. She told me in no uncertain terms not to pay in full for semi private, that it was the exact same! I kind of thought it might be better in some way but no!

Sure most of the consultants in the Coombe do both public & private clinics on different days so it's not like the ones you're not paying for are any less experienced , because they're all the same !

For private scans I've gone to places in blackrock and rathgar in South Dublin. I've heard there's a place in bray too that I've never been to so I can't personally recommend, but the ones I've been to are good.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Could anyone help please. I'm expecting my first baby. I have health insurance but won't be covered as you need to be with them 52 weeks before you are covered for maternity. I was thinking of going semi private and just paying ourselves but I rang the account department in the Coombe today and the lady told me it would cost approx 8000 euro to go semi private and said there's little difference between semi private and public. Is this true??? Could anyone help please???

Excited!! wrote: »
    Could anyone help please. I'm expecting my first baby. I have health insurance but won't be covered as you need to be with them 52 weeks before you are covered for maternity. I was thinking of going semi private and just paying ourselves but I rang the account department in the Coombe today and the lady told me it would cost approx 8000 euro to go semi private and said there's little difference between semi private and public. Is this true??? Could anyone help please???
    You will get the same treatment. The difference is the room which may not even be available when needed.
    You could very well end up in a public ward.

For what you pay semi-private is not worth it. You have ni guarantee of any of the benefits and will be charged at SP rate even if you don't get to avail of SP services

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

My wife has had 5 births in the rotunda in the last 12 years, most recently at the end of October. Always went the public route because our maternity service is actually really good over here. There is no need for private, or semi private and it restricts you to attending the hospital on certain days. If you go the public route, you can be seen by the midwives (the ones who actually deliver babies most days/nights of the week.

My sis in law is a med student. She wanted to go private until the consultant actually recommended against it, stating what I said above. Consultants can be a good idea for higher risk pregnancies, but for for a normal pregnancy (young, healthy etc) it is a waste of your time and money.

Good luck either way.

On appointment days you can also request to be seen by the consultant. It'll take longer but that's who you get to see

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭irishgirl19

Yeah its definitely not worth 8000. You will have the same level of care going public. Waiting times will be a bit longer. But as a public patient in in the coombe I was never longer than an hour for an appointment ( after the initial first appointment)
    Theres also an option to do your appointments with a midwife in your area. I attended the clinic in Lucan
    Never any waiting times there!

The rotunda also have the domino scheme and local midwife care.

• Advertisement

A lot of people rally off 'you mightn't even get your semi private room' but in my experience I've never seen that happen. On third pregnancy now, went public on first and semi p on next two. I was in a semi private room every time, if anything there's always a good few public patients in semi private rooms.

I'd never pay the full whack without insurance. Definitely not worth it. Mine cost 750 and my health insurance pays back half.

Advertisement