Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fitbit Surge

Options
  • 15-07-2015 9:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭

Hi All,

Just wondering if anybody has experience with the Fitbit Surge?

Thinking of purchasing but don't want to get it if there's a better option available.

A you able to use it as a watch while swimming?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭GeorgeOrwell

I bought one a couple of weeks ago and love it. The fitbit and the iPhone app work brilliantly together and it's hugely motivating to see how much exercise I'm doing and how many calories I've consumed.

You can't wear it while swimming because it's only splash/sweat-proof.

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭reklamos

According to Fitbit website:
    "Fitbit Surge is water resistant to 5 ATM, or 50 meters"

I was in the market for a fitness tracker and was considering Fitbit Surge but in the end went for Basis Peak. The main reason for it was that Surge was way too bulky and uncomfortable to wear for long time. Feature wise they are pretty similar. My wife has Firbit Charge HR and Fitbit app has better integration with other apps and fitbit app probably looks better.
    I think you have ask yourself what you want the tracker for. I wanted tracker to track my HR, Calories, Activity levels, show time and also be discreet, anything else was not important and Basis Peak matched it perfectly. Now Basis does not have built in GPS if that is important to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭siochain

If your into running or cycling it's very good for tracking the routes, Km's etc. can be linked to strava and other apps for analysis.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭GeorgeOrwell

The level of GPS detail the fitbit records of my running routes or walks is incredible. And it records a massive amount of detail which makes it easy (and satisfying) to see improvements.

I like the traffic light system on the app - you can easily see if you're falling behind in exercise or eating too much.

With the app, you can scan the barcode of the food you eat and it automatically logs all of the detail. Amazing - and avoids the opportunity to cheat by rounding down the portion size or calorie count.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

The barcode thing I did not hear about, very interesting. Although, unless you're able to scan 90% of what you eat, doesn't it make the process kind of pointless? I get a lot of loose fruit and veg that it'll never be able to scan, for example. It doesn't know how much milk I drank from the carton, or how many biscuits from the pack, etc. I can think of a hundred ways that wouldn't work. Do you manually enter everything you can't scan?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭reklamos

Zillah wrote: »
    The barcode thing I did not hear about, very interesting. Although, unless you're able to scan 90% of what you eat, doesn't it make the process kind of pointless? I get a lot of loose fruit and veg that it'll never be able to scan, for example. It doesn't know how much milk I drank from the carton, or how many biscuits from the pack, etc. I can think of a hundred ways that wouldn't work. Do you manually enter everything you can't scan?

These calorie tracking apps have databases pre-populated with information. For foods without barcodes you can enter in weight, volume, serving sizes or pieces and it does the relevant calculations. Not every barcode can be scanned, or the item might not be in the database, so some info you need to enter manually but only once. Also you can put in the whole recipes not just individual items.
    Have a look at my myfitnesspal, fatsecret, lose it! etc. and choose the one you like.

Advertisement