Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New businesses

Options

Comments

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,168 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I presume that's to try encourage people to use them. It's a pilot for 12 months to see how it goes. You need to download an app to use them.

Lime reveals details of its new e-bike pilot service in Mayo | Connaught Telegraph (con-telegraph.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭HBC08

The lime bikes are a strange one.

There are owned by Uber and have a 12 month trial in Castlebar (the only Irish town/city they are doing this at the moment)

I used one on sat night to get home from the pub, my house is only 6/7 mins walk from main street but (ashamed to say!) I sometimes get a taxi home €5.With the lime bike myself and the Mrs had to walk to the nearest bike (about 150m then park it about 300m from our front door) we would have walked home in that time.Also it was €3 each,more expensive than a taxi.

They don't seem to be outside the radius of the town (I've seen them as far out as kilkenny Cross but that's it)

For example if I wanted to take one to Breaffy House for dinner on a Sunday I'd have no way to take it off the clock,would just have to leave it there like a taxi with the meter running,they work out about €10 an hour.

The whole thing seems very flawed and is obviously going to be a loss making endeavour. The city bikes in Dublin/Galway etc are a different company and system,I'm really interested to know what is Ubers real angle here.

The bikes themselves are class,really good fun.

This is my take an am open to correction on any of it.Im thinking of popping into their office for more details.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,938 ✭✭✭6541

So are you saying that you paid 9 euro in total ?

Also can you just leave them anywhere when finished ?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,387 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

So they need more stations? Which in a town like castlebar probably isn't practical

No,€3 each so €6 in total.The Mrs was using the app and according to her we had to leave it at designated spots (in this case it was the Garda station)

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,168 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I haven't tried them yet but from what I see on the app it looks like you can leave them anywhere within town? €1 to unlock the bike then €0.15 per minute after.

Also looks like they have included Turlough and the greenaway out there in the zone allowed for use so that's something at least. A bigger buffer around the town would be better.

Red zones you can't accelerate or lock the bike, yellow speed is restricted to 13km/h.

Hope it's a success, though we could do with some more consistent cycle infrastructure around the town.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭muddle84

While driving through the town this morning i saw three of them left abandoned on the footpath fallen over from the wind i presume and blocking the footpath which is a bit nuts!

They really need to have some bike racks around the place for them. Guaranteed one will end up in the river before long too I'm sure 😃

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭Lukekul

Prendergasts on Main Street Castlebar up for sale. Main street is taking a battering

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭muddle84

• Advertisement

for the time being at least. the 3 mobile shop seems to be gone

• Registered Users Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭Westernyelp

3 is Closed for a couple of weeks for refurb

• Registered Users Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭irishgeo

What's going in beside sports direct. Up by Bank of Ireland.

As mentioned it's just being done up,will open again this weekend I think it is.

Was in mill lane over the weekend. Fabulous food. It was busy as well. So much so that I had to wait for a table.

Breaffy Sports Arena now converted into " International Protection " facility for 200 non Ukrainian refugees.

This is after the Breaffy Woods Hotel is 100% given over to 350 Ukrainians.

Lough lannagh village is Ukrainian refugees,Connacht Inn "international protection" Kennys guesthouse also.

I have to question the effect that's going to have on Breaffy House Hotel and the wider knock on effects for the serverly diminished tourist industry,pubs,restaurants etc in the town.

This is not an anti Ukrainian rant,I have great sympathy for them and any of them I've talked to just want to get home if and when this conflict ends.I don't have the same sympathy for young Albanian and Georgian males (these make up the majority of IP refugees this year) arriving on planes from London," losing" their documents and then being put up in hotels.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Officer Giggles

New Ice Cream / Sweet shop after opening beside Supermacs in Castlebar

Re: building beside Sports Direct. The mood design ceramics shop and ceramics classes are going in there. They had a shop on main street years ago and the new place looks great.

I hear also that the owner of Cosy Joe's and other bars in Westport has bought the Bosh premises in Castlebar

That's good news,especially on Bosh.

Hopefully they can get it up and running as a bar again.

• Advertisement

Every Argos in Ireland closing. Always going to happen with everything out of stock. Never anyone in them. They moved them to in-store in Sainsbury's in England but that wasn't going to possible here.

I saw that,

There was never anybody in there because people picked out their order online and then just grabbed it in the shop,a brilliant system in my opinion.

It's a shame,I always thought they were great,will leave a big gap in that end of town.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Napoleon21

Yeah a shame. Hopefully someone takes that unit, the one beside it is also empty. Probably going to be a tough couple of years for retail.

Saw the old castle book shop has been demolished. Wonder what the plan is for it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,938 ✭✭✭6541

The book shop is going back in with apartments overhead as mentioned

Its only going to be schoolbooks i think and 2nd hand books.

The draft town development plan is out but haven’t seen any details

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,387 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

Any word on the new road opening, must be close

Advertisement